What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

Sage63

Juniors

Parko1310

Juniors
In a nutshell
Hope and commitment will walk through the WIN Stadium gates in Wollongong around 7am on Tuesday.
Almost three weeks earlier than his scheduled return date, Dragons captain Ben Hunt will arrive for pre-season training under new coach Shane Flanagan.
In a hammer blow to the Titans, and every other club dangling a lure in front of Hunt, the decision by the Test star to neither wait until his actual return date of December 15, or to not return at all, is a sign of both the halfback’s character and intent.
If Hunt had no desire to play for the Dragons in 2024, then surely turning up for training 20-days earlier than he needs to, isn’t the act of a footballer looking to get out of dodge.
Hunt doesn’t play games. We’ve learned this much.
He spent almost half of last season speaking truth from the heart, a place that few players dare tread.
The 33-year-old asked for a release last June due to his disillusionment with St George Illawarra’s front office (who could blame him), their failed promises to land significant recruits and also, in the wake of the club sacking coach and close mentor, Anthony Griffin.
Reports then emerged that Hunt was willing to pay $150,000 of his own money to leave the club.
Dragons captain Ben Hunt. Picture: NRL Imagery

He was harangued by fans.
They were as deluded as what Dragons management were for hanging onto Griffin ahead of last season, after telling the former coach they were looking at other options.
Hunt was simply being honest.
This wasn’t the club that management had sold to him. I applaud Hunt for calling them out.
Ultimately, the release was rejected by the Dragons and instead of kicking stones, Hunt kept playing, kept leading, despite a throng of boos and fans waving banners like, “Ben, I know a good removalist.”
Ben Hunt copped plenty from Dragons fans. Picture: NRL Images

The appointment of Flanagan is proof management were listening to Hunt.
Flanagan has arrived with a plan, not only for the club’s future, but the halfback, by including him in every major recruitment target to date.
Of course, the noise never quietens in rugby league, even in November.
The Titans are the latest club linked to Hunt, with reports last Wednesday that the release of Treymain Spry from their top-30 roster, is a ploy to create a spot for the Dragons veteran to jet to the Gold Coast.
If that’s the plan, Hunt isn’t showing it.
Still on his holidays, Hunt turned up to the club’s annual Robert Stone Memorial Golf Day at Beverly Park last Friday.
Shane Flanagan has gone out of his way to include Ben Hunt. Picture: Julian Andrews

Shane Flanagan has gone out of his way to include Ben Hunt. Picture: Julian Andrews
He spent 18-holes playing in a group that was made up of forward leader Blake Lawrie, Flanagan and a major sponsor.
On Tuesday, Hunt will return to pre-season training early and it’s worth nothing that so too will teammate Moses Suli. Footballers have a knack of weeding out teammates who they don’t believe in.
Trust is easily eroded inside dressing rooms.
Hunt, maybe due to his frank honesty, has lost no one at Saints.
“Benny is one of the best players in the game, he’s our skipper,” the club’s marquee centre Zac Lomax said on Friday.
“He’s our leader, he’s a real good dude, a great family man and ‘Dozer’ (Hunt) is one of my best mates.

More Coverage​

NRL Market Watch: Sharks retain apex predator Rudolf NRL Market Watch: Sharks retain apex predator Rudolf
‘Shattered’: Maguire sings the Blues over Kiwi axing ‘Shattered’: Maguire sings the Blues over Kiwi axing
“He’s just a dude that loves being around the team and the boys feed off him too.
“He’s played so many big games, he’s going to be massive for us next year.
“We can’t wait to get him back.”

justadragon

Bench
Hope and commitment will walk through the WIN Stadium gates in Wollongong around 7am on Tuesday.
Almost three weeks earlier than his scheduled return date, Dragons captain Ben Hunt will arrive for pre-season training under new coach Shane Flanagan.
In a hammer blow to the Titans, and every other club dangling a lure in front of Hunt, the decision by the Test star to neither wait until his actual return date of December 15, or to not return at all, is a sign of both the halfback’s character and intent.
If Hunt had no desire to play for the Dragons in 2024, then surely turning up for training 20-days earlier than he needs to, isn’t the act of a footballer looking to get out of dodge.
He spent almost half of last season speaking truth from the heart, a place that few players dare tread.
The 33-year-old asked for a release last June due to his disillusionment with St George Illawarra’s front office (who could blame him), their failed promises to land significant recruits and also, in the wake of the club sacking coach and close mentor, Anthony Griffin.
Reports then emerged that Hunt was willing to pay $150,000 of his own money to leave the club.

They were as deluded as what Dragons management were for hanging onto Griffin ahead of last season, after telling the former coach they were looking at other options.
This wasn’t the club that management had sold to him. I applaud Hunt for calling them out.
Ultimately, the release was rejected by the Dragons and instead of kicking stones, Hunt kept playing, kept leading, despite a throng of boos and fans waving banners like, “Ben, I know a good removalist.”

Flanagan has arrived with a plan, not only for the club’s future, but the halfback, by including him in every major recruitment target to date.
The Titans are the latest club linked to Hunt, with reports last Wednesday that the release of Treymain Spry from their top-30 roster, is a ploy to create a spot for the Dragons veteran to jet to the Gold Coast.
Still on his holidays, Hunt turned up to the club’s annual Robert Stone Memorial Golf Day at Beverly Park last Friday.

He spent 18-holes playing in a group that was made up of forward leader Blake Lawrie, Flanagan and a major sponsor.
On Tuesday, Hunt will return to pre-season training early and it’s worth nothing that so too will teammate Moses Suli. Footballers have a knack of weeding out teammates who they don’t believe in.
“Benny is one of the best players in the game, he’s our skipper,” the club’s marquee centre Zac Lomax said on Friday.
“He’s our leader, he’s a real good dude, a great family man and ‘Dozer’ (Hunt) is one of my best mates.

More Coverage​

NRL Market Watch: Sharks retain apex predator Rudolf NRL Market Watch: Sharks retain apex predator Rudolf
‘Shattered’: Maguire sings the Blues over Kiwi axing ‘Shattered’: Maguire sings the Blues over Kiwi axing
“He’s just a dude that loves being around the team and the boys feed off him too.
If Hunt is coming back early and showing some commitment, then I'm happy with that. But I will never forget the comments made by Hunt that Hook was the man to take the club forward and the direction the club was going in was the right one. Hook should never have made it past midway through his contract, it cost us dearly. There is going to need a lot more water to pass under the bridge and a hell of a lot more commitment especially as club captain before I would be willing to forgive Hunt for what he has put the club through and the rubbishing of the club as a whole. Zac Lomax can say what he likes, but it wasnt too long ago that he was furious with Hook for dropping him from first grade and having no feedback on why, let alone the rumours of wanting to leave as well. Let me remind you Zac that the angst you had with our coach is the same person your good dude mate thoroughly endorsed to satisfy his own needs.

denis preston

First Grade
Well we need our scouts to do a lot of ground work to see who has great potential elsewhere that's for sure.

You take the Roosters for instance. They not only have signed Dominic Young for 2023+ but they have signed a young kid from under the noses of the Broncos in the name of Tyreece Tait a speedster similar to Josh Addo-Carr. https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...hing-job/b76d3f71-2d5c-4cf3-aeaf-bc9f4734ba5b

The Rabbitohs have signed a giant prop by the name of Jason Hallie, 19, who they see as Tom Burgess' successor. He is already 110 kilos and still growing.

Do we have any speedsters coming through and/or any giant props signed up?
Our scouts have done their groundwork and provided us with some young big forwards from out of our catchment.

SEAT 1A

Bench

More Coverage​

Credit where credit is due to Ben and Flanno looks as though he's spread his magic dust over the players.

Seriously good signs for next year.

Illusion

Bench
Mr Ricchio declaring Benny a Saint now?
Saint being of the "Halo" variety.
Talk about "alternate facts".
Good signs I suppose, and I want the Dragons to win even with BH, but part of me wants that little bastard Tarred, feathered, boxed and shipped back to QLD asap.
I'll tie a bow on that box and I'll post it ..... It will all come to light next year if Benny boy's all in or not , when there are a few loses in a row ....... Will he start sooking again or get on with it ......

Parko1310

Juniors
I heard Flanno doesn’t want to sign just anybody available but it would be nice to hear we have recruited someone for next year. A prop and some speed.
Meanwhile Gould goes and signs everyone
Everyone but not much quality. Tracey is a good player but not going to change your fortunes alone. Mann is okay. Crichton is their big one but will start out of position. Curran is decent. The other six signings are complete shit. They still have no dominant half and a soft middle. They'll be bottom 4 again next year.

Gomarchin

Juniors
I heard Flanno doesn’t want to sign just anybody available but it would be nice to hear we have recruited someone for next year. A prop and some speed.
Meanwhile Gould goes and signs everyone
I hope Flanno is working on a quality over quantity signing strategy.

Gus has opted for the latter, with the exception of Crighton, who is the only quality signing.

TheRev

First Grade
We wanted to sign I believe almost all of these 'rejects' that the Dogs have ended up with... i.e. they arent rejects.. they are exactly the sort of players Flanno could have gotten a 20% lift out of.. and could have gotten us up the ladder, and then in 2025/2026 then we can go for the bigger guns.

But anyway the question is where do the last 5 or so players come from for 2024?