What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FO Kearney

In all seriousness from the regular team Matulino, Lillyman, Hoffman and Thompson are likely gone

You think they're the ones not putting in and are responsible for not making the finals in years??

That's full genius! Hoffman had poor form after his injury, Lillyman tries all the time, Matulino looks like he doesn't but is generally really good and of course had injuries, and I'm no Thompson fan but he tries and it's not his fault Kearney selects him when he's really struggling

Matulinos name always comes up when we have culture issues. Have heard a few things where he is not overly keen to tow the line etc. So good riddence if Kearneys getting rid of the trouble makers

Rich102

Staff member
But wouldn't it be better if we had a coach who could get our senior players interested and motivated?

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
But wouldn't it be better if we had a coach who could get our senior players interested and motivated?

I’ll spell it out to you why I think what you say isn’t right.

Kearney was the head coach of the NZ national who won the 2008 World Cup and 2011 Four nations tournaments. In 2014, Kearney guided New Zealand to their second Four Nations championship, defeating Australia 22-18 in the final. At the end of 2015, his 23 test wins as coach and five wins over Australia is the most out of any that has coached NZ in the past.
At one point senior players in the national team thought they were above the team and could do what the y wanted - they were dropped (sound familiar?) . Its unfortunate that Kearney has not had that luxury with the warriors (salary cap & contracts) but the same types at the Warriors are being moved on (or if you want to kid yourself, opting to go elsewhere lol rather than stay under Kearney). He's had to play who's there ffs - 'walking out the gate' is happening, just not immediate & did anyone actually think that was literally?

Some might argue that a national coach doesn’t make a successful NRL coach…based on what? The weekly grind of NRL? Don’t forget Kearney has played that weekly grind and played a number of finals series and been in Premiership winning teams…he at the least knows what’s required of such teams

The ‘name ‘ players he has recruited have all played for him, successfully, they know how he goes about things, they know what he brings and horror...they've still signed! Wonder why? Perhaps they know something about Kearney that we don't and its something the ones scattering for the hills (whether voluntarily or nudged) also know.

Re the “retirement village’ comment as motivation for those guys to come to the Warriors....must admit I have some doubt about Blair but hoping his pride, captaincy of the Kiwis and relationship with Kearney motivates him. But the others, have no doubt Kearney is the motivation along with building a sustainable Warriors successful culture. How do I know this? I asked.

JJ

Immortal
I missed it, who did Kearney drop?

Also you're conveniently omitting Bennett

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I missed it, who did Kearney drop?

Also you're conveniently omitting Bennett

Kiwis? To name a few, JWH, Marshall, SBW...
Warriors? Quite a few - not dropped exactly but let go/ not retaining as contracts come up.

Didn't forget Bennett, was brought in to help (as any coach would do, does do) - for one campaign. The rest is on Kearney not on Bennett, & didn't they do well. Turned to crap when Kidwell took over but hoping he's learnt the lesson...

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Kearney was made kiwis coach in the same year we won the 2008 RLWC, correct that if Im wrong. So in a year Kearney took the kiwis to the top with only so many trainings with the players. For the Warriors he's had just as much time as the coach and even more time with the players. If Kearney REALLY was the reason for the kiwis winning the RLWC, then why hasnt he done that with the Warriors?

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Kearney was made kiwis coach in the same year we won the 2008 RLWC, correct that if Im wrong. So in a year Kearney took the kiwis to the top with only so many trainings with the players. For the Warriors he's had just as much time as the coach and even more time with the players. If Kearney REALLY was the reason for the kiwis winning the RLWC, then why hasnt he done that with the Warriors?

You could say he walked into a team in 2008 that was already firing I suppose but if he was such a s*** coach surely they could have faltered and the point he maintained it for the longest period of success the Kiwis have had - across all test situations & dropping the 'best' players, says a lot to me.

You can't equate the same situation to the warriors because its a whole other level. If he walked into the Storm now he would be successful but if he maintained that over the next 5 years he would have to be regarded as a good coach?

I'm not saying Kearney will work miracles at the Warriors in one year or two & I'd be asking those same questions as you all too if next year doesn't see a big improvement - but I believe there will be and over the next couple of years the culture, the attitude and the success of the warriors will prove me right. :p

I will be the first to apologise if I'm wrong.:oops:

Rich102

Staff member
Oh. I may add that if Kearney has all the answers why is his win % as a coach so poor? The worst we have had?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Mal Meninga is the perfect example of a rep coach with big success that was woeful at club level.

Rep level coaching is more about motivation and bringing the group together as the players are there because they have the skills and football nous, which is where Mal has his success, and he gets the better coaches in as assistants to look after the game plan side of things (Hagan etc). Bluey was the master motivator too

Is a lot more to coaching at club level with game plans to suit your players and the style that will work with them, squad management, dissecting opposition etc, and that is why Bluey and Mal couldn't cut it at NRL level, and why I believe Kearney is in that same boat, I don't think he has the football smarts

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Can't disagree with either of your points Rich & BH but I've followed Kearney's progress since he made the big leap into NRL coaching with the Eels & that was never going to work as a first gig. He was never going to succeed at that club back then (was such a basket-case) and one of the main reasons has just downed another coach - other reasons included being too green - kudos to him for giving it a go though, you've got to start somewhere. I kinda think its a shame his record there is what everyone judges him by now.
Kearney returned to assistant coaching, I assume to hone some skills, learn off a proven man manager & then took the leap to being national coach - and no-one can argue against his success there imo. I take your point BH re Mal etc.

I'm a biased Kiwi and I am hoping for a great NRL kiwi coach one day. That may not be Kearney, it may end up being that his strengths lie elsewhere but he's breaking ground & more kiwis should be looking to advance in the field of NRL coaching, doing apprenticeships with the best and trying to break through an Oz dominated position. Can't and won't sink the boot in till he gets a shot at proving himself or not.
So as you said Rich it's wait and see

Rich102

Staff member
If you want a Kiwi NRL coach Lowie's record was pretty good - Just not with the Warriors.

But I know we all hope for the same thing Cloudsurfer.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I had high hopes for Kidwell a year or 2 back, had big wraps on him and all the right credentials at the level below but that confidence has evaporated now !

Mal Meninga is the perfect example of a rep coach with big success that was woeful at club level.

Rep level coaching is more about motivation and bringing the group together as the players are there because they have the skills and football nous, which is where Mal has his success, and he gets the better coaches in as assistants to look after the game plan side of things (Hagan etc). Bluey was the master motivator too

Is a lot more to coaching at club level with game plans to suit your players and the style that will work with them, squad management, dissecting opposition etc, and that is why Bluey and Mal couldn't cut it at NRL level, and why I believe Kearney is in that same boat, I don't think he has the football smarts
This sums it up really, national teams are best of the best, don't need to improve their skill level, remove bad habits that are in their muscle memory, 4 week diets, 2-3 teams to analyse to play and adjust structures.

If we remove Kearney's Eels history he sits at 7 wins 17 losses 29.17%

If he corrects the culture great, but his words are not matching his actions.
He says one thing "not putting in out there, walk them to the gate" then picking the same guys.
Yes there are injury concerns and the salary cap selection issues, BUT the same team is picked.
Give Maulmalo a rest and some time in NSW cup let him get some confidence back, put CNK in. Drop Luke, let Roach get use to 80mins.
Foran isn't around next year and we can't make the finals, get Ata or Lino more game time.
The list could go on.

We seemed soft physically and mentally as well.

I'm not filled with confidence but hope for the best.
It will be the first preseason in a while without false sense of inflated confidence for supporters that we will set the competition on fire.

I'd say he gets next year to make the 8.
Then we start the circus again.

Our timing is always horrible lately for coaches.
We couldn't apparently wait for Bellamy 1 year.
Maguire has been available a year to late.
But the club still would stuff it up since Toovey and Cleary available last year.

Reactions: JJ
Matulinos name always comes up when we have culture issues. Have heard a few things where he is not overly keen to tow the line etc. So good riddence if Kearneys getting rid of the trouble makers

Ben is a mamas boy. He hasn't given a shit for a few seasons now. Good for both him and club they ended their relationship. He will be the Tigers problem or beast-mode for the near future.

Ben loves Cleary so I won't be surprised if the merkin becomes Dally M Prop Of the Year

Last edited:

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Pretty inspirational read. Goes to show you never really know what's going on behind closed doors in someone's personal life. Hope some of the strength displayed by SK rubs off on the joint. If anything it shows that he is not wanting to breed a culture of excuses.

Challenging season on and off the field for Warriors' coach.

A nightmare season on and off the field has ended positively for Warriors coach Stephen Kearney with his wife, Piri, successfully overcoming a near year-long battle with cancer.

The 45-year-old was appointed Warriors head coach 12 months ago, but just weeks into his new role and only days before Christmas, his family's world was turned upside down when test results confirmed Piri had developed breast cancer.

Thankfully, the illness was detected early, and in February she began an intensive regimen of radiotherapy.

A relieved Kearney confirmed to the Herald on Sunday that Piri is now in remission, while she continues to work through her recovery after suffering a tremendous physical, mental and emotional toll.

Her ordeal was made even more difficult by the fact she had to cope on her own for long periods, with the family having made the decision for Piri to remain in Brisbane with their two daughters, Samantha and Isabella, who are nearing the end of high school and in their early years of university respectively.

Kearney has been living in Auckland on his own since joining the Warriors last October.

"In Piri's situation, she's been facing it by herself back in Brisbane, so that's made it even more challenging," Kearney told Newstalk ZB's Tony Veitch.

"You've just got to try and work your way through it and try and make the best of a not-so good situation."

Few people outside of the Warriors' inner sanctum were aware of what the family was going through, during what has been a tremendously challenging first season for him at the helm of the struggling NRL club.

As often as he could, when time and work commitments allowed, Kearney made regular trips through January and February across the Tasman to support Piri and be with his loved ones.

Once the Warriors' NRL campaign was under way those visits became less frequent and Kearney's time with his family was limited to brief stay-overs before or after away matches, bye rounds, and the competition break during the weekend of the Anzac test between Australia and New Zealand in early May.

"It wasn't easy but it's one of those things, you've just got to find a way. I'm not saying it was plain sailing or rosy," he said.

"There were challenging times, there's no doubt, and there will be challenging times ahead too.

"We've just got to keep working our way through it but it's not easy."

Having confided in those closest to the family in Brisbane, word quickly filtered down to Melbourne, and the Kearneys soon had the added support of friends from his days as a player and member of the coaching staff at the Storm, and the wider rugby league community.

He was determined to shield his family from scrutiny, with the couple highly sensitive to the fact there were thousands of other families going through similarly traumatic circumstances. But he does feel overwhelmingly grateful that Piri is in remission.

Piri's situation also came to light just a few months before Kearney's former Storm premiership winning teammate Brett Kimmorley lost his wife, Sharnie, in March, after an eight-month battle with brain cancer.

And as much as Kearney wanted his family's personal business to remain private, he also didn't want it offered up as an excuse for the Warriors' poor on-field performances during his early tenure.

Even once Piri was in the clear, Kearney was reluctant to discuss the matter publicly, as he poured all of his energy into trying to turn the side's flailing season around.

Those close to him are unsurprised by that but marvel at his unwavering commitment to his job, and his refusal to back away from the challenges in both his personal and professional life.

The arrival of the off-season will allow the family to be together over the next six weeks before pre-season training begins in November.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11923040

Latest posts