What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

Mofra

Juniors
The AFL now have what it wants - a bit of publicity that League fans will notice when the GC17 & WS18 take the field in 2011 & 2012 respectively.

Given the salary cap structure of the new franchises, I'd expect that would be the end of the poaching raids. $1m pa is alot of money for two guys that aren't guaranteed to make a successful transition to the sport.

knights23

Juniors
How stupid are some of you people. He is a young man getting offered 800k more a year, you cant say that wouldnt be difficult if that kind of offer was thrown in your face. The AFL obviously want NSW/QLD people to tune in, obviously this is going to work, you cant say you wont be interested to see how it goes. To see if the NRL's best can make it in the AFL. Code wars of who has the better athletes has been going on for years- now we can see the end result, would a star in one code infact be a star in the other.
Im not sure how Folau will go. People out there saying AFL has no skill are way off the mark... it is a completley different game, having to put an array of skills into play rather than running in a straight line, seeing what is coming and throwing the ball sideways.
AFL has pressure coming from many directions and Folau will have to work on his awareness. Kicking wont be as easy to learn as many think, yeah you go out kick to kick with someone and sure you can hit targets, but running flat out, with pressure on you, with the target moving at speed, it will be really tough to learn.
Dont think he will make it

Edwahu

Bench
It will get people to tune in for about half a game. How will this move get long term viewers? Sydney has shown it doesnt want to watch AFL as a sport, you cant argue they havent been exposed to it already.

Vossy

Bench
AFL - the easiest marks i ever got in yr 10 PE..not hard

being from western sydney, couldnt give a rats rectum about the turncoat or AFL

he comes from Minto NSW, played for the Melbourne Storm and the Brisbane Broncos and represented Queensland in the SOO

care factor: ZERO

stealing players from another code works well, aye rugby...

Mooks Nephew

Juniors
If you think by buying cutie and Folau the AFL have made me tune in to that joke a sport you are kidding yourself. It doesn't matter who plays it it's still a sh*t game.

It's not about you. The AFL don't care if a single RL devotee ever turns on and AFL game.

It's about your kids.

The Sun-Herald examined figures from the AFL, NSW Rugby League and Country Rugby League of NSW, the soccer organisation Football NSW and NSW Rugby between 2007 and 2009.
They show AFL player numbers at club and community U17 level in NSW and the ACT have risen 11 per cent since 2007, with many coming from Sydney's west. There are 35,229 AFL players, compared with the estimated 48,000 playing rugby league in city competitions and 35,500 in the country competition.
In rugby, they show 19,549 club juniors - a rise of 3.6 per cent from 2007 to 2009 - plus 40,000 who play weekend inter-school competitions.
And in soccer, which has the highest overall participation rate in NSW, junior male registrations have fallen in the past three years, although June's World Cup in South Africa is expected to boost recruitment.
AFL deputy general manager Simon Laughton said his code's participation rates were even healthier when midweek school participation was considered. There are 3870 players in inter-school competitions in western Sydney, up from 810 five years ago - that's a 400 per cent leap.

If your son played and loved AFL, got picked for the local rep side then you'd have a problem...no?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It's not about you. The AFL don't care if a single RL devotee ever turns on and AFL game.

It's about your kids.

If your son played and loved AFL, got picked for the local rep side then you'd have a problem...no?
If my son played and loved Aussie Rules i would disown him.

fish eel

Immortal
Good luck to the kid. Certainly wouldnt bag him for taking the money.

Cant help but think though him and Hunt, given the size of their contracts, arent going to be exactly popular among their peers in AFL

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If that's true then he would no doubt be happy and better off with the result.

Honestly you are just chest-beating. Admit it.
How is it chest beating??? It's the truth, as i posted earlier my son would have far to much sense to watch that abortion of a sport.

FastEddie

Juniors
I think the AFL are recruiting him at the perfect time.
Melbourne has won the rights from FAFLAA to host the World Cup and this is a signing that could see Australia win the World Cup. Rugby League will be struggling for exposure when the AFL world cup is on, run simultaneously with the all eskimo igloo building championships

Canard

Immortal
So whats Izzy doing next season?

Rugby in France? or being the worlds highest paid reserve grader in some Z Grade NSW AFL competition?

eagles4eva

First Grade
so much money for a untried player, the current elite fumbleball players must be spewing.

I heard a interview with the lions coach (Voss i think) he was saying what happens to Ausskick, under 10etc when we pay that sort of money for one player...

Mooks Nephew

Juniors
How is it chest beating??? It's the truth, as i posted earlier my son would have far to much sense to watch that abortion of a sport.

Your original comment is simple chest beating.
If you are any kind of father you would support your son in whichever sport he played and loved.

You are obviously not a father so you should really not comment on parenting or how you would or would not react if you had a child who did not solely like what you do.
You may be one day, so damned good luck there....lol...as any parent knows you can't be in anyway sure what your kids are gonna do or be.:D

FastEddie

Juniors
He's going to be playing for The Bondi Bumbandits against the Drummoyne Dicklickers in front of friendsand relatives at Sydney uni oval, getting smaller crowds than the All Age 6s get on a Saturday afternoon down at Birchgrove Oval

El Diablo

Post Whore
so much money for a untried player, the current elite fumbleball players must be spewing.

I heard a interview with the lions coach (Voss i think) he was saying what happens to Ausskick, under 10etc when we pay that sort of money for one player...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ars-michael-voss/story-e6frg7mf-1225873764124

This is an insult to our stars: Michael Voss

* Dan Koch
* June 01, 2010 12:00AM

BRISBANE Lions coach Michael Voss has launched a stunning attack at the AFL's role in the multi-million-dollar deals on offer to rugby league stars Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folau, declaring them an insult to the current stars of the game.

Voss, one of the most respected voices in the game who was recently voted the player of the 2000s, said AFL players had every right to feel slighted by demands from the game's governing body regarding the need for them to "invest" in the expansion and development of Australia's indigenous code.

"I know when I came through as a player I was on the AFLPA executive and we were forever sold on the notion of the investment in the game the players have to make," Voss said.

"We would always put some of our interests behind because game development was seen as exceptionally important, but what we thought we were investing in was Auskick and under-10s, under-11s and under-12s.

"We didn't think we were investing in two players who could become the highest-paid players in the AFL. That seems ridiculous to me that we could do that.

"If I am in the AFLPA now I am looking at the next broadcast rights deal and saying we need a bit more money because looking at this situation I am thinking the game can clearly afford it."

Hunt had his first official day at his new home at the Gold Coast Football Club yesterday, meeting with the coaching staff and players and perusing the club's facilities.

And at a packed first media conference the tri-code pioneer was adamant there were many other players in the NRL capable of following in his footsteps.

At the top of that list is Hunt's former Broncos teammate Folau, who is weighing up an offer in excess of $1 million a year to join the Great Western Sydney AFL team.

In contrast to Hunt's versatility, Folau would be likely to fill only one of two positions: fullback or full-forward.

While conceding the public would measure the success of any convert by the number of games they played and the quality of their on-field output, GC17 boss Travis Auld said there was a bigger picture to consider.

"People are interested in him playing football," Auld said. "He is going to be playing football in front of a million people each week; that is what the AFL does and that is when people will judge him."

"Karmichael gets paid a very comparable amount to play football to other AFL footballers, but he also has a responsibility to promote our game and our football club and I think he is already doing that.

"Look who is here today: that is a pass. Look when we first made the announcement: that was a pass. Every time he has stood in front of a camera or got in front of a microphone has been a big tick for me.

"The way he approaches (things), he is very humble and we couldn't be more impressed."

That, however, didn't sit well with Voss. "I think it is good to think outside the box, but for me it is not so much about whether they make it or not," he said.

"I think (the real question) is, is it really worth paying that much to be able to get that. I think there is something not quite right about that.

"No one is saying we don't want the project to work. But the fact we are adjudicating the project based on how many articles we have in the paper as opposed to how many games he played . . . I don't get that."

While there was speculation yesterday that Folau would seek out Hunt for advice before making an announcement on his future later this week, Hunt conceded he could offer little given he has yet to even take part in a training session with his AFL team, let alone play a game.

As for his assessment of Folau's ability to make a success of whatever sport he chose to pursue, Hunt was much more confident.

"He definitely has the skill set to make the transition (to AFL)," Hunt said.

"Anything is possible. Izzy is such a talented individual and has shown he's got all the attributes to make the switch, but whether he makes the call or not to cross over is fully up to him."

Latest posts