What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

hutch

First Grade
So the two highest players in that sport are ex rugby league players who have never played the game before? That is absolutely pathetic! Could you imagine this happening in any other sport on earth? what a joke of a sport!

Gippsy

Bench
I live in Penrith and have done all my life, it just makes me hate AFL even more so.
I can honestly tell you that the feel around Penrith, is that people are sick of the AFL trying to shove things down their throat....they aren't interested....this doesn't or wont change it.

I thought that might be the reaction thommo, especially amongst Western Sydney. The problem with Victorians is they actually believe this fumbleathon they call the AFL is the greatest game in the world, and they can't understand why everyone else thinks it's just a dopey game. They are that deluded they think they just have to turn up in a new area & everyone will be miraculously converted.

btaag

Juniors
Seriously guys - don't rise to the bait of the AFL fans. I like AFL as a sport, but they are insecure and running scared. They cannot tolerate the status quo and need to try and invade other territory to survive (just look at the disgraceful way they handled the Football World Cup negotiations). Insecure about their own code.

As for Israel - good on him!! If an organisation is going to spend $4.2 million on an untried and untested player of another code, that is their prerogative, but if you were Israel, you would be laughing. Set up for life, and can still come back to League, aged 25, and have another 7 years in the game he truly loves.

He will become the Garrick Morgan of AFL (for those old enough to remember him at the Crushers), but good luck to him - if he left for $200k more per season, that would be one thing, but $1.4million a season is CRAZY money.
:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Parra Steve

Juniors
And how many teams does the Swans compete with in Sydney? 0! I suspect that the Swans crowd's will take a hit when GWS comes in.

Flapper

First Grade
Don't you keep bringing out that hybrid afl/soccer thing with the Irish?

Our product is rugby league. That's what we sell, whether it is domestic, interstate or international. It seems it is the AFL who has to come up with lame gimmicks to grow their sport.

They had to invent a sport to play those games the gibberer refers to as "gimmicks" :lol: Ah well gibberer, the AFL seems to disagree with you there. Not to mention that big gimmicky thing in South Africa in a week and a half, that's just there to try and drum up interest in something no one cares about, right?

But thanks for caring enough about Rugby League to come and join us. Kepp all the bum sniffing talk out of it please, we don't want to know what you AFL types do post-prance around.

Gippsy

Bench
Yep, so popular in NSW & QLD, where more than 50% of the population lives in Australia, that the Swans and Lions can't crack 100K on TV ratings.

The Swans haven't got out of the 50K mark on Ch 10 for god knows how many weeks.
Not bad for a city of almost 4.5 million people. :lol:

Doesn't the AFL in Sydney regularly get beaten in the ratings by Iron Chef?? :lol:

Mooks Nephew

Juniors
I really don't get the AFLs angle on this.

Do they think this will get more league fans to watch AFL? If I'm going to watch AFL, I want to watch good AFL players play AFL, not good league players play AFL.

Do they think its going to weaken league? Union tried this and failed. While Falou is a good player, good wingers/centres, with the exception of Inglis, are a dime a dozen when it comes to replacing them. He won't be anymore missed then Gasnier, Sailor or Tuquiri were. They should have targetted a Thurston or a Hayne.

Do they think it will get more Polynesian kids to play AFL? Can't see it happening, the rugby codes are too intrenched in islander tradition.

Do they think he has some mystical link in Western Sydney which will bring in the masses? The guy left Minto for Brisbane when he was like 10. He plays for Brisbane and QLD FFS.

All it does is give them some cheap publicity, a little curiosity, make them look like a bunch of dicks and piss off their other high profile players.

After one or two games of AFL, when every one realises he is ordinary, Izzy will slide off into the obscurity of the VFL until he re-emerges three years later looking for and NRL/Super 15 contract.

They should be targetting fans like me who watch league/union and the occasional game of AFL. Instead of sparking my interest, all this has done is ensure that I won't be giving them my support.

You are right on the money when you mentioned "cheap publicity".
Falau, and Hunt for that matter, are both being employed by the AFL primarily for their "public profile" and the publicity and free media their code swapping brings.
Hunt has already generated 10's of millions of dollars worth of frontpage, Prime time exposure for the AFL and this even before has has played a single game.
Folau is the same.

You can't say the RL community are not talking about it.
This will be a huge story in the biggest market in Australia, Sydney, and in Brisbane.

As to whether it will get people to follow AFL?
You can't tell me that the RL faithful will not keep an eye on these two blokes and , if they start to play well, generate a certain amount of spin about how RL players can do well in AFL.
You are already doing it in this thread and have been for months in the K.Hunt related threads.
The best possible outcome for AFL is if they can actually play well enough to get a regular gig because the RL supporters claiming RL converts are somehow better than AFL players will simply entrench the idea of switching codes into the RL players minds.

The fact is the NRL and News have dropped the ball badly and the only way they will reverse the trend is to pay players what they are worth.

This will be very difficult as it is totally against the culture of the administration since Super League tore the game apart and stole it from the people and players.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Meh, Lote was better than Folau when he left and we all forgot he existed after a few months. Maybe he just likes the sleeveless shirts and tiny shorts, who am I to judge. Will be fun playing in front of huge virtual crowds also.

Mooks Nephew

Juniors
So the two highest players in that sport are ex rugby league players who have never played the game before? That is absolutely pathetic! Could you imagine this happening in any other sport on earth? what a joke of a sport!

There are not many other sports in the world which would stand by and watch their talent walk away to another code for the cost of a few Front Pages in the Sydney rags.

Don't blame AFL, take a look at your own games administration.
If they can't afford to keep their players then your arguments about the "success" of RL are worthless. RL is the major sport in Sydney. One city.

Success in business is measure in the value of the asset. RL does not have the same value as AFL, not by a long shot.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
There are not many other sports in the world which would stand by and watch their talent walk away to another code for the cost of a few Front Pages in the Sydney rags.

If they can't afford to keep their players then your arguments about the "success" of RL are worthless. RL is the major sport in Sydney. One city.

Success in business is measure in the value of the asset. RL does not have the same value as AFL, not by a long shot.

Wrong, Brisbane. And you're kidding yourself if you think that RL doesn't have a presence in Melbourne even after the Rort.

BLKOUT!

Juniors

Newcastle, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Townsville, Wollongong, Cairns, Canberra etc...

hineyrulz

Post Whore

One city :lol: Another clown who has never stepped foot outside of Victoriania but knows all because Vlad and the Herald Sun told him so.

Big Mick

Referee

F'n genius.

Sydney and Brisbane as well as International markets.

What do you have? Melbourne?...that's it. One City.

Adelaide, Perth are two states that have SMALL markets. Sydney and Brisbane noone gives a rat's about your sport.

RL has a greater value as it reaches MORE people on a weekly basis and more people have ACCESS to the sport around the world....unlike the AFL...where people watch and say "Is this Mardi Gras?"

sharko

Juniors
It puts Meninga and the Qld selectors in a difficult position now..they will not want to lose Folau who is a try machine, particuarly with Thurston and Lockyer in the form they are, and yet do you then allow the AFL a free publicity leg up in leagues best 3 matches and for the rest of the season.
I am not sure what they will do.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
It puts Meninga and the Qld selectors in a difficult position now..they will not want to lose Folau who is a try machine, particuarly with Thurston and Lockyer in the form they are, and yet do you then allow the AFL a free publicity leg up in leagues best 3 matches and for the rest of the season.

We have to look at his potential replacements before making any relevant judgments.

user_nat

Coach

Tate or Lote can fill in for Folau pretty easily.

There is a chance that Hodges could be back by game 3 also, if QLD really need him.. which I doubt.

F'n genius.

Sydney and Brisbane as well as International markets.

What do you have? Melbourne?...that's it. One City.

Adelaide, Perth are two states that have SMALL markets. Sydney and Brisbane noone gives a rat's about your sport.

RL has a greater value as it reaches MORE people on a weekly basis and more people have ACCESS to the sport around the world....unlike the AFL...where people watch and say "Is this Mardi Gras?"

Hate will not help us here

BUt speak from afl sources such as "While sceptics will question the value of Folau's deal, AFL sources are confident he can make the transition - even comparing him to Hawthorn spearhead Lance Franklin due to his size, strength and speed. Folau has been tested by AFL experts and he was found to be strong in key performance areas.

"The same testing protocol that Karmichael Hunt went through Israel has gone through, and the same conclusions were drawn in terms of his capacity to successfully make the transition," said the source.

How is that for promotion of rugby league. In the average afl fans eye, our sport has really improved. In our eyes, their sport has dropped even further.

Alright for the Izzy should die brigade(who right now are making me embarrassed to be an NRL fan)

Can you please give me a logical argument stating why you would turn down an extra $800,000 per year.

The fact is no one, with more then an IQ of 30 would turn down this sort of money.

It is very sad to see him go, but that being said I say good on him for getting the golden pay cheque!

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Alright for the Izzy should die brigade(who right now are making me embarrassed to be an NRL fan)

Can you please give me a logical argument stating why you would turn down an extra $800,000 per year.

The fact is no one, with more then an IQ of 30 would turn down this sort of money.

It is very sad to see him go, but that being said I say good on him for getting the golden pay cheque!

It's the rivalry with the GAFL that has stirred up this whole "loyalty" issue.

Latest posts