What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

Israel Folau is now one of the highest paid AFL players. This is for someone who hasn't played the sport.

Simply a lose-lose scenario for the AFL. There is absolutely no way this is going to turn out good for the AFL and I couldn't be a happier.

Thomas

First Grade
He'll play AFL for a few years...then he might switch to RU...then he'll be back in the NRL.

Serious. Mark my words. He's only in it for the quick buck. He'll be back and the NRL clubs will fall over themselves to sign him. Same with all the 'converts'.

Fmd what a joke. The guy will be the highest earner in the sport without laying a foot on an AFL ball. NRL publicists need to shove this fact down the throats of the public, particularly Melbourne, to show how far we are ahead of them

Shorty

Staff member
He'll play AFL for a few years...then he might switch to RU...then he'll be back in the NRL.

Serious. Mark my words. He's only in it for the quick buck. He'll be back and the NRL clubs will fall over themselves to sign him. Same with all the 'converts'.
Yup I'd back that.

This isn't exactly impressing AFL fans either, they think it's equally as stupid.
So really, they're just setting the whole club up for an epic fail.

bobmar28

Bench
Mike Sheehan has stated On the Couch that Folau has joined the West Syd AFL team.

Wont lie and say he's no big loss, but it just is nothing more than a money grab, in my opinion. He's never been a Hunt, Slater or Inglis who was used to having the ball in hand - plus I don't think i've ever seen him kick.

Good luck to him, but I hope he doesn't come crawling back in a few years.

I hope he does.

Fmd what a joke. The guy will be the highest earner in the sport without laying a foot on an AFL ball. NRL publicists need to shove this fact down the throats of the public, particularly Melbourne, to show how far we are ahead of them

True.
What the AFL is saying by making Folau one of the highest paid players is that the NRL has the best athletes. This is a great promotion for the NRL in the southern states.

It also says to aspiring AFL players that maybe it is best to play rugby league if you want top dollars in the AFL.

It is also seriously pissing off current AFL players who see two people who have never played their sport become the highest paid players in their sport

Win-win for the NRL
Lose-lose for the AFL

Going back to the NRL from AFL is going to be harder than going back from Rugby Union.

For the 3 years these guys are going to be playing and training for AFL their body shape will change dramatically from power athletes to endurance ones. Whilst they will still have the skillset to go back to the NRL physically it will take sometime to get back up to the level.

Mr Saab

Referee
But he is now playing for what might be the dumbest competition in the world. No other sport in the world would make two people who have never played their sport the highest paid players. NOW THAT IS DUMB!

Thats AFLs issue, not Israel's.
Israel's decision....
Earn 400k a year playing league
Or
Earn 1.2M a year playing AFL.

Really...even someone with an IQ of 34 would know whats best.

Its a shame to see him go, but sport is not like it used to be in the 60s and 70s and 80s. Today it all comes down to "show me the money"

Edwahu

Bench
Lol I was just watching Nine at the airport and "Greater western sydney" came out as "great cash give away" on the closed captions.

Thats AFLs issue, not Israel's.
Israel's decision....
Earn 400k a year playing league
Or
Earn 1.2M a year playing AFL.

Really...even someone with an IQ of 34 would know whats best.

Its a shame to see him go, but sport is not like it used to be in the 60s and 70s and 80s. Today it all comes down to "show me the money"

I have nothing against Folau. He is absolutely taking the AFL for a ride. I doubt he plays more than 10 games of top grade AFL, and all that for $4.2m. I guarantee you there are many, many unhappy AFL players.

aussies1st

Staff member
Well won't be hearing about him next year then. Haven't heard anything about cutie this year.

thommo4pm

Coach
If these $$$$ reported are true, it will just make the people of Western Sydney hate Folau even more.
$4.2M over 3 seasons.

Most people in Western Sydney would need to work for 65 years + to earn such $$$$.

Western Sydney is the home of the battler, where families struggle to make ends meet.
Average income would be $50-60K at best.

Do we really think the people of Western Sydney are going to embrace a guy who has never been part of it's culture, played for Melbourne, played for Brisbane and plays for QLD in State of Origin?

The AFL obviously don't understand the resentment the Western Sydney public feel towards our own NRL players when they argue about more $$$$.....the people of Western Sydney will hate it even more when a foreign code (which most people think is bullsh*t) come in and throw this kind of $$$ around.

2 new franchises have bought League players with no AFL experience and payed massive money for them. Sure the 2 players may turn out to be AFL stars ( doubt it though ) but for me its nothing more than a big money gimmick.
See ya boys , the Mexicans wont give you guys a second look after 3 weeks .

Gippsy

Bench
I'm hearing on Victorian radio that this new Western Sydney AFL team has already got $3m worth of publicity out of this signing and that it will attract interest from non AFL supporters in the area.

I find this hard to believe, so, to all you Sydneysiders, will this signing in any way increase your interest in AFL, or increase your desire to go to a game?

thommo4pm

Coach
I'm hearing on Victorian radio that this new Western Sydney AFL team has already got $3m worth of publicity out of this signing and that it will attract interest from non AFL supporters in the area.

I find this hard to believe, so, to all you Sydneysiders, will this signing in any way increase your interest in AFL, or increase your desire to go to a game?

I live in Penrith and have done all my life, it just makes me hate AFL even more so.
I can honestly tell you that the feel around Penrith, is that people are sick of the AFL trying to shove things down their throat....they aren't interested....this doesn't or wont change it.

Flapper

First Grade

Not really, it just looks bad and desperate for the AFL really that they have to buy our talent instead of relying on someone theyve already got to provide the publicity.