What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

Brutus

Referee
Given the media machine has crawled back to life this week around Hunt and that it will undoubtedly do so again once he pulls on a boot at the beginning of 2011 I reckon they have got exceptional value for their money whether he plays or not....and that is the point f the entire excercise.

Well why doesn't the NRL offer Buddy Holly or whatever his name is 2 million bucks a year to play rugby league for the Storm or the possible new Perth team if valuable media exposure is what it's all about.

They'd be crazy not to going by your theory.

icewind

Juniors
meh, i'm done caring. new tv deal and the only reason players will want to change codes will be gone.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well why doesn't the NRL offer Buddy Holly or whatever his name is 2 million bucks a year to play rugby league for the Storm or the possible new Perth team if valuable media exposure is what it's all about.

They'd be crazy not to going by your theory.

I'm sure if the NRL had money they would do! Do you know how much it costs to run a 30 sec add on prime time TV in Sydney? They are basically getting heaps of prime time (the News is the biggest watched show on TV) advertising for a fraction of what it would cost to run TV, newspaper and radio adds.

If it translates into more fans and more sponsors who knows but they obviously consider it a worthwhile investment. Add on the flip side it makes AFL look a better run org than NRL as they can choose which players they want and can afford to sign them whilst the NRL scratches around trying to raise its salary cap and they probably consider $1.2mill a year a reasonable investment.

Finally what if Hunt and Folaua are hugely succesful on the field? If they are the AFL will use them to try and convert RL juniors I can guarantee it.

Feej

First Grade
Hope he doesn't get caught up in any "melee's", that would be awful!:roll:

parano1a

Juniors
lol wanna know how sh*t afl is. one of my mates couldnt even make the starting 13 at high school in rugby league for a sh*t team that lost every week. he is now 25 and last year joined the local afl team to keep fit. within 12 months he was playing first grade for st.george in nsw's equivilent of the vfl.

this is a bloke who had never played a game of afl in his life.

yeah afl is a real skillful game hahahahaaa

This example doesn't show that the game itself is of a low standard, simply that the Sydney competition is. I guarantee your mate wouldn't get a game in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL or even the first division of any Victorian country or Melbourne suburban football league.

By the same token a lot of my friends would probably get a game for the Victorian State of Origin RL side if one existed.

Vic Mackey

Referee
This example doesn't show that the game itself is of a low standard, simply that the Sydney competition is. I guarantee your mate wouldn't get a game in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL or even the first division of any Victorian country or Melbourne suburban football league.

well then why is a guy from sydney, who has never played a game of afl in his life, the highest paid afl player in history?

Vic Mackey

Referee
By the same token a lot of my friends would probably get a game for the Victorian State of Origin RL side if one existed.

i guarentee you there isnt a single afl player who would even make the 17 of the team coming last in the nsw premier league competition.

Quigs

Immortal
It's all part of the fun new world of sport we have evolved into.

If a bloke isn't happy enough playing a game he loves and gets $400,000 to play it then fair enough.

It's like the high paid blokes you know and have heard of that go off over to saudi arabia to work for the real big biccies. They reckon its great earning that dough but are not to keen on the fact that they have to drink their p!ss with all the other heathens behind barbed wire hidden areas because they will be arrested or shot for breaking the laws of the country.

My point is - if you can't be happy being a young 20 something earning near half a mill and you need to do something that you don't really want to but it pays a lot lot more, then good luck to you. It is all about quality of life for me.

There is more to life and sport then money.

Cheers
Quigs

nqcowboy87

Bench
Im happy with the news. Its good for Folau, good for the Broncs and its bad for the AFL.

do you have selective hearing, he has signed with the afl. If I quit my job and took up an offer from one of my employees competitors who was trying to muscle their wqay into my employees territories, how would my employer feel, having given me an opportunity to become the employee i am only for me to shove it in their face and take the money (where not talking about an iga job here more like say a law firm) I would not be rewarded with the best jobs on offer or any more money for the remainder of my time there and my emp-loyee would be duped. it is essentially the same in the folau case. nad all this hes built perfectly for afl crap lets just sign david beckham to the roosters, he can play on the wing and kick goals and drink lattes at icebergs

Edwahu

Bench
If a Folau equivelant at my work became the oppositions highest paid employee, my employer would be pretty happy.

nqcowboy87

Bench
i reckon if he had said look i want to try something different, ill go play for west coast eagles and ill be happy to spend most of my time in the wafl so i can get my skills up and i dont want a contract thats going to eclipse thoe toher players in my team who have dedicated their lives to the sport, but if im succesful at it i certainly wont rule out a payrise offer, then id be a little less annoyed

Ashman

Juniors
Is it true that the deal is closer to 6 million over 3 years.

Thats pretty good coin for chasing after a hot chip!

Latest posts