What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

badav

Bench
It all comes back to the tv deal and from there goes back to the News Ltd involvement in the game & the Super League War.

Get the new commission up and running by the end of this year, get the tv deal we deserve for 2013-onwards, up the salary cap and we won't lose another player. Until then we'll have to put up with this.

That is some very very wishful thinking

And yes, Rugby League does produce many kids that supreme athletes that are in high demand from other codes. But they are leaving Rugby League younger and younger. Blokes are jumping ship before they are even 24 and that is not good for the code at all.

Brutus

Referee
It all comes back to the tv deal and from there goes back to the News Ltd involvement in the game & the Super League War.

Get the new commission up and running by the end of this year, get the tv deal we deserve for 2013-onwards, up the salary cap and we won't lose another player. Until then we'll have to put up with this.

Spot on. This wouldn't be happening if we'd received the true value for previous TV deals. We have been shafted big time by News LTD.

mongoose

Coach
The only statement the AFL is making here is "our players arent exciting enough to justify 1 million dollars a year but NRL stars are"
What a slap in the face to any elite AFL player who has played the game his whole life.

I hope this backfires massively for the AFL and also those money grabbing traitors Falou and Hunt and I am positive that it will.

natheel

Coach
ohwell see ya izzy, goodluck in that sh*t kicking sport

bring in lote for wing of qld!!!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
That is some very very wishful thinking

And yes, Rugby League does produce many kids that supreme athletes that are in high demand from other codes. But they are leaving Rugby League younger and younger. Blokes are jumping ship before they are even 24 and that is not good for the code at all.

The only reason players have left the NRL is for massive money offers. Not one of these marque singings has left the game for similar money to what they were getting in the NRL.

Once we have balance (or the upper hand - AFL squads are much larger so their salary cap is spread much thinner than ours) then why would they leave?

flamin

Juniors
Union tried to buy rugby league's stars - and the fan support - in the early 2000s. It worked for a short while but now that code is washed up and those same stars are back in league giving the boot to union.

Can't wait for this to happen to the AFL now.

thommo4pm

Coach
Pretty sad reflection on the AFL really, this whole thing.

They have been up here for decades and can't produce anything of any talent.

They can't bring a player from their own code as a marquee player, as nobody would know them.

Rugby League wouldn't go after a AFL player, as they would quite clearly get destroyed in the NRL.
Very sad that NRL players who have no experience in playing AFL can be signed as marquee players for their new clubs.....says a lot to me about the skill level required to play that abortion of a game.

No skill required at all, and apparently you only need a few months training under your belt to play at their highest level.

babyg

Juniors
haha I've just realised why people always seem to use the word merkin on this forum. Autofilter. I was trying to say k hunt.

Yes good points, loss for Brisbane but not much of a loss for Western Sydney. I don't think Qlders are really going to be interested in the west sydney wannabes.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Not sure if I would want Folau to be the Broncos marquee player if the system was implemented. Maybe Hunt though.

Hunt, Lockyer under the marquee system. That is well over a million bucks we can spend elsewhere. Every club has 2 players they just should not lose. Put it this way it makes me sick seeing Petro playing for Penrith when he could have easily got the cash at Brisbane with a better system!

thommo4pm

Coach
The only reason players have left the NRL is for massive money offers. Not one of these marque singings has left the game for similar money to what they were getting in the NRL.

Once we have balance (or the upper hand - AFL squads are much larger so their salary cap is spread much thinner than ours) then why would they leave?

Don't underestimate the challenge of playing against world famous Collingwood and an International against Nauru.

Liddell

Juniors
Head over to AFL for a few years, bleed them dry then come back to league. Sounds like a good plan to me.

If the $1mill a season is acurate, who can blame him?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Your view, although playing in front of 70-80,000 spectators every week would be a selling point. This is the thing, I like all sports, but fact is the NRL are poor, and just flat out don't pay the players the right amount. You can't pay players 400,000 and expect to keep him. I'll use an example, in AFL Joel Selwood who is about the same age as Folau is in negotiations on a 750,000 contract a season!

Yeah, but you're a dickhead.

Latest posts