What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau has joined AFL

aqua_duck

Coach
Learning to kick a AFL ball is the easiest thing on earth,people who think he won't be able to kick well are dopes.
you are an idiot. The difference between an AFL ball and a rugby league ball is not huge, learning to kick a football accurately is one of the hardest skills to master, I mean alot of 1st grade halves spend their entire lives trying to learn to kick properly and yet still can't, if it was so easy maybe your wasting your time on an internet forum go over to the US and earn some big money being an NFL punter since everything comes so easy to you

Greenbits

Juniors
No. Gasnier bailed when he learned Wayne Bennet was coming. There was an escape clause in his contract that gave him some time to negotiate with other potential employers each year, which he did and which is why he ran to French Union.

He probably couldn't handle the fact that Bennet's first move(s) would be stripping him of the captaincy and putting him back in the centres.

The NRL organised special deals for him with Channel 9, but he couldn't be bothered to meet his contractual obligations. Not only that, but he up and left immediately before the World Cup, which the NRL/ARL had made him the face of in an attempt to placate him.

I know that Folau is not a loss on the level of Thurston or Lockyer orwhomever. I do believe his is overhyped and has done little to justify the contract he has with the Broncos. But even so, he does have a great amount of talent (you don't represent your State and country so young otherwise) and seeing the NRL/ARL shrug their shoulders and say "Eh, well, what can you do..." when top-flight Maroons are targeted but fly into a Chicken Little-esque fury when their own are in the sights of rival sports...

"I made the decision because it became very clear to me that the commitments that were made to me and that I agreed to in 2006 involving external parties were not going to eventuate."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-Gasnier-to-move-codes-to-Stade-Francais.html

All of the QLD defections have been wingers. Good outside backs are a dime a dozen mate. We breed them like rabbits, don't lose sleep over it. Very few like Inglis are irreplaceable. They could take the Morris twins as well - its a loss but the game will go on. QLD will not miss a beat, Broncos will be saved from a ridiculous contract, NRL will be slightly weaker and the AFL look like a bunch of dicks. Life goes on.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
you are an idiot. The difference between an AFL ball and a rugby league ball is not huge, learning to kick a football accurately is one of the hardest skills to master, I mean alot of 1st grade halves spend their entire lives trying to learn to kick properly and yet still can't, if it was so easy maybe your wasting your time on an internet forum go over to the US and earn some big money being an NFL punter since everything comes so easy to you

AFL's tiny red balls are designed to be easy to kick... The only kick you have to master in AFL is the punt, compare that to a guy like Lockyer who can do pin-point kicks in many varieties.

AFL is just professional force-'em-backs. Anyone can punt an AFL ball.

MsStorm

Bench
Only read first half of the thread... some ideas that can be implemented after the next TV deal (if it goes well, never know...) when the NRL has more money to provide to clubs as grants. ;

Sponsorship dollars not included in cap - doesn't matter if its 3rd party or not... if Clubs have a good image and can gain more through sponsors, why punish them? - this would provide a better incentive for proactive PR.

Agree with the 2 marquee player idea even though it was floated by the biggest idiot on these boards - 2 players in roster that are not included in the cap (allows for the Haynes, Thurstons etc. to remain in the game.)

Another idea is to be aggressive in retaliation regarding our expansion into AFL heartland. I'm suggesting to exclude any high-profile players from other codes from the cap. This is obviously designed for clubs like the Warriors (RU) or the Storm/WA etc. (AFL) to get similar headlines in the short term as to what the cutie thing will do.

For this idea to work, non NSW/QLD clubs (incl future clubs) should get atleast an extra 25% on their grants, they can choose to spend this in any way.

I realise that most people would be of the opinion that most other code's players won't be able to cut it in the NRL. That's probably true, but this is a primarily a marketing ploy.

Through the RL marquee player quota and the exclusion of sponsorship $, high profile RL stars have every opportunity to earn in RL as long as clubs can afford it. This cross-code poaching idea is just a way to increase exposure for some clubs whilst hurting a rival code.

David Gallop....PLEASE NOTE!

I don't get it.

The AFL obviously think that his time in Minto means we all love him and would like to go and watch him play their game.

All well and good except that he

1. Plays for Queensland
2. Played for Melbourne
3. Plays for Brisbane

If you want a CV that will make you hated in Western Sydney, that's a good start.

Usain Bolt

Bench
How many people in here would turn down their salary getting tripled to go to a job that is probably easier then the one they are at?

And if you would, why aren't you locked up in a mental institution.

Good luck to Izzy, go make that money

Teddyboy

First Grade
Rugby Leagues jewel in the crown being the State Of Origin(in my eyes it's the Grand Final)could be replaced by an AFL State Of Origin of 5 states if W.Sydney and the Gold Coast do well.
Iam worried about Rugby League.

Shorty

Staff member
How many people in here would turn down their salary getting tripled to go to a job that is probably easier then the one they are at?

And if you would, why aren't you locked up in a mental institution.

Good luck to Izzy, go make that money
Nope, that's totally fine.

But;
He shouldn't be there for game II
He shouldn't be in the green and gold either
Broncos should sack his *ss in QCup, it's not like they haven't got the goods to replace him.

Andto the NRL, for pete's sake, when he comes back (which he undoubtly will) don't welcome him with open arms and reward his bullsh*t with a big fat paycheck.
Players that leave this code should leave for good, they should never be allowed back.Maybe if this was the case, these players wouldn't treat the NRL so worthlessly.

FastEddie

Juniors
Alright people this is the final straw. The list of those that will not recover is huge. How will the NRL cope with losing a doorknocking spastic who catches the ball and falls over the tryline. Who will take over his mantle. For mine, they must possess.
- Nothing except size
- Inability to tackle
- Inability to read defence
- Ability to catch a ball and fall over the tryline
- Not run more than 3m for a try
- be dark
Arise Jamaal Idris

Vodafone will also bemoan his loss as they will lose a good million texts and phone calls between our circle of mates as brother israel catches it, trips over his own feet and `scores a miraculous try'

If chris lawrence was dark rather than milk bottle white he'd be an immortal given wht he does ability wise compared to 2 spastics like idris and folau

johns_reds

First Grade
When GWS continue to lose the fans will stop going to watch them, they'll lose because they spent 1/4 of thier salary cap on falou who has never played AFL, It will take him a couple seasons to get used to the game, by then this would have put a mssive dent on getting the GWS franchise rolling, GWS should have spent the million dollars on already established players like gary ablett or jonathan brown. It's probably a blessing in disguise for league, GWS will lose most of thier games and even a marquee player like falou won't keep the fans coming back.

Brutus

Referee
When GWS continue to lose the fans will stop going to watch them, they'll lose because they spent 1/4 of thier salary cap on falou

The Hunt and Folau signings do not come under a salary cap for these new AFL clubs. The cash is coming straight of the marketing budget. These clubs are being given MASSIVE consessions.

The AFL will do everything to ensure its frontier Western Sydney club survives. I personally think they are pissing into the wind, but at least the arrogant bastards are having a go.

Now compare this to how the NRL has managed it's frontier Victorian team - The Melbourne Storm.

Last edited:

Bulldog Force

Referee
Stupid prick! Throwing his young life away so early. And think about it... he's never really won an NRL Premiership either!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Wait up wait up wait up... the Victorians are paying him $1,400,000 a year for 3 years?

This GWS team is definitely going under! Bankrupt in 10 years!

HE HAS NOT EVEN PLAYED THE GAME BEFORE AND THEY ARE PAYING HIM THAT MUCH? LOL

to be honest most people will do anything for 4.2 million dollars

that says it all.

wont do anything to make very many people switch their love to afl. it wont even be a piece of that puzzle for many, if any people, either.

people know they are trying to be "bought" by the afl. so we grow a thicker skin by that.

I expect this to be the first in a string of expensive measures that ultimately fail.

FastEddie

Juniors
He had better pick up hair pulling, wrist punching, cuddling, rolling around on the floor and hugging or he will be left behind

taipan

Referee
Folau the Fumbleballer,has a nice ring to it.:D
Izzie do not play SOO,do not pass go,do not collect $200.
All this does is generate initial publicty for Vic fumbleball,then the novelty wears off,as it has for cutie.Him going over to fumbleball is not going to convert anyone,in fact will create more tension and disike rather than respect.
Money for nothing and the tights are free.

Latest posts