What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Well he wouldn't walk straight into a QLD or Aussie jersey, so his value should automatically be below the likes of Yow Yeh, Boyd, Tate, and Brett Morris. Wouldn't think any of them take up $400k of cap space

oldmancraigy

Coach
What gets me is Schuderps insistence that Izzy be valued at least 400k in the cap, that's bullshit he has been starving himself for the last two years it will take him a year to get back to anywhere near where he was while the Storm can pick up Funch for the minimum. Honestly the double standards are mindboggling :crazy:

I agree.

It's stupid

If they want a 'points system' salary cap, then they should have one. If they want a free market cap, then they should have one of those. You can't have a free market cap but then apply a points rule when it suits your agenda...

Also fairly geniused that they seem bent on NOT allowing Izzy to return to league on a pipsqueak salary??????????????
WHY NOT LET HIM RETURN FOR $110k????

The effective message that sends to all the junior league kids is this: don't play AFL for $1m per season, it's so boring you'll want to come back to league for 1/10th the amount of cash.

NRL marketing = fail.

Would you be happy if he went to the Storm on $110k? I agree the 400k requirement is silly, but so is $110k. At the drop of a hat, I'd say $250k min., relevant to 1st year only.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Would you be happy if he went to the Storm on $110k? I agree the 400k requirement is silly, but so is $110k. At the drop of a hat, I'd say $250k min., relevant to 1st year only.

Na disagree - if izzy is happy to accept 110k so be it (as long as there is no brown bags involved) The nrl should not be able to tell players what they are worth that is between the club and player.

Na disagree - if izzy is happy to accept 110k so be it (as long as there is no brown bags involved) The nrl should not be able to tell players what they are worth that is between the club and player.

Do you really think that the economic substance of the transaction is that he's getting paid 110k for 2013?

If the Storm turn around tomorrow and re-sign C. Smith for $110k for year 1, would we feel the same? Or let's say, if the Cowboys re-signed Thurston on similar terms. If we are happy with that, then fine. If not, we are a bunch of hypocrites.

The NRL have every right to impose some level of a reasonableness test, given the scope for rorting that would exist without such a test. What I would disagree with is the amount at which that threshold has been set in this case.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Do you really think that the economic substance of the transaction is that he's getting paid 110k for 2013?

If the Storm turn around tomorrow and re-sign C. Smith for $110k for year 1, would we feel the same? Or let's say, if the Cowboys re-signed Thurston on similar terms. If we are happy with that, then fine. If not, we are a bunch of hypocrites.

The NRL have every right to impose some level of a reasonableness test, given the scope for rorting that would exist without such a test. What I would disagree with is the amount at which that threshold has been set in this case.

I, for one, am happy with that solution. I feel very player should be able to stay/join a club of their choosing, and with a salary of their choosing.

84 Baby

Referee
Move over The Weedler, here comes Dean f**khead Ritchie and his intimate sources. Now regardless of whether we sign Folau legitimately or above the salary cap, next season would be tainted. Muckracking at its finest

Glenn

First Grade
If Only Israel was coming back from the ESL, then Parramatta could get him on a minimum contract deal.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

As long as any extra payments eg third party agreements meet the necessary requirements I am all for it. I don't think it would lead to rorting, if izzy/ smith or others were to sign a three year contract for $110k a year that is a signal something funny may be going on - but in izzy case we aren't trying to do that we just want to backload his contract and if the eels/Izzy are happy with this I can't see any problem - over the life of his contract I dare say he will receive something close to what the nrl value him at .

Eels Dude

Coach
I know it's been covered before, but how we are even close to spending the cap this year is beyond me. How were we going to fit Hincliffe, TRex et al. in?

Hayne and Sandow are the only players who would be on significantly more than 300k. Mannah, Tonga, Fui would be there abouts. Maitua 200 something but the rest should be on barely anything. I'd be interested to see what Sio, Ryan, Blair and Paulo were upgraded too. Surely can't be much.

EelsFan05

Bench
I think Tonga might be on a decent wicket and B. Smith most probably got an outrageous contract. Who are the players that are playing elsewhere next season that we are still paying a decent amount for?

Eels Dude

Coach
No-one apart from the recently released Horo and Esi. Tahu and Morts contracts have expired now which should have freed room if we were still paying them out the last couple of years.

EelsFan05

Bench
No-one apart from the recently released Horo and Esi. Tahu and Morts contracts have expired now which should have freed room if we were still paying them out the last couple of years.

I'm even more confused now. Maybe there are a few more book deals in the pipeline.

Bigfella

Coach
Hayne and Sandow are the only players who would be on significantly more than 300k. Mannah, Tonga, Fui would be there abouts. Maitua 200 something but the rest should be on barely anything. I'd be interested to see what Sio, Ryan, Blair and Paulo were upgraded too. Surely can't be much.

Obviously none of us know for sure but my mail is that at least a few blokes are on coin well outweighing what they have achieved or the level they have been playing at.

That includes some recent purchases and some older faces.

I'm thinking the reports in the paper are no where near the mark.
They are just delaying to announce it closer the election.

EelsFan05

Bench
Obviously none of us know for sure but my mail is that at least a few blokes are on coin well outweighing what they have achieved or the level they have been playing at.

That includes some recent purchases and some older faces.

I wouldn't be suprised if they gave Lussick 300-350k.

Eels Dude

Coach
I wouldn't be suprised if they gave Lussick 300-350k.

That wouldn't surprise me either, which is a shame because no non-rep player outside the spine is worth anywhere near that. Especially one with only 20 odd first grade games to his belt. Still, just speculation but its disappointing and really quite perplexing we're in this position.