What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Gronk

Staff member
I wish they sorted the cash out before they went to the press & fans with a boner. Sounds like they never were in a position to launch a serious bid unless they offload a stack of players. Meanwhile we look like idiots, again.

Bigfella

Coach
I don't know names but he is an obvious cabdidate given how badly we needed a signing and that a few clubs were interested. No doubt he would have done pretty well for himself

EelsFan05

Bench
I wish they sorted the cash out before they went to the press & fans with a boner. Sounds like they never were in a position to launch a serious bid unless they offload a stack of players. Meanwhile we look like idiots, again.

I think they thought releasing Horo and Esi would free up the 100k that they planned to sign Izzy for. Enter Shubert.

Gronk

Staff member
I think they thought releasing Horo and Esi would free up the 100k that they planned to sign Izzy for. Enter Shubert.

I would have thought that Ossie would f**k things like this up, but our new CEO is suppose to be a gun. A little bit of due diligence would have not gone astray.

Bazal

Post Whore
Do you really think that the economic substance of the transaction is that he's getting paid 110k for 2013?

If the Storm turn around tomorrow and re-sign C. Smith for $110k for year 1, would we feel the same? Or let's say, if the Cowboys re-signed Thurston on similar terms. If we are happy with that, then fine. If not, we are a bunch of hypocrites.

The NRL have every right to impose some level of a reasonableness test, given the scope for rorting that would exist without such a test. What I would disagree with is the amount at which that threshold has been set in this case.

If the NRL allows the players and/or their agents to negotiate a deal with the individual clubs, then they should accept the deal that is negotiated. Yes? They are adullts, they can make their own career decisions, and the clubs can look after themselves. I have never seen the NRL step in when they think a club is paying overs, have you? So why should they be allowed to step in when a player signs for less? If the player is happy to sign, then so be it

84 Baby

Referee
If the NRL allows the players and/or their agents to negotiate a deal with the individual clubs, then they should accept the deal that is negotiated. Yes? They are adullts, they can make their own career decisions, and the clubs can look after themselves. I have never seen the NRL step in when they think a club is paying overs, have you? So why should they be allowed to step in when a player signs for less? If the player is happy to sign, then so be it
As much as the situation shits me, given that essentially it is the grants coming from the NRL that pays for all the players, in my view they can prepare the rules as they see fit (my shits are because they do not appear to be enforcing those rules consistently). It is because of the way the competition has evolved that your scenario isn't a feasible long-term option, clubs would cannibalise each other

Eels Dude

Coach
I think the problem the NRL have is that the club and Izzy's management have tabled third party deals which quadruple his sign on fee. Same as Inglis' deal with Souths was originally rejected.

Kornstar

Coach
So if we eventually sign Izzy on 400k and his complete body change and 2 years out of the game mean he never regains form and spends 3 years at Wenty.....will we get a refund?

Seriously? In his first year to be told he is an elite player when there is so much unknown seems ridiculous! Surely around 250k would make more sense right now?

Bazal

Post Whore
As much as the situation shits me, given that essentially it is the grants coming from the NRL that pays for all the players, in my view they can prepare the rules as they see fit (my shits are because they do not appear to be enforcing those rules consistently). It is because of the way the competition has evolved that your scenario isn't a feasible long-term option, clubs would cannibalise each other

Then assign a points system and marry it with salaries...if the NRL lets the players and their agents negotiate the deals, then they accept the salaries, simple IMO.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hayne and Sandow are the only players who would be on significantly more than 300k. Mannah, Tonga, Fui would be there abouts. Maitua 200 something but the rest should be on barely anything.

I reckon Mannah and Fui would be on $250k tops. Tonga would be on at least $300k. I actually reckon Maitua would be on about $250k as well.

I'd be interested to see what Sio, Ryan, Blair and Paulo were upgraded too. Surely can't be much.

All between $100k and $150k I reckon. Obviously conjecture but I'm pretty confident.

I think Tonga might be on a decent wicket and B. Smith most probably got an outrageous contract. Who are the players that are playing elsewhere next season that we are still paying a decent amount for?

Ben Smith was extended this year, and given talk of retirement plus his injury woes in recent seasons, I reckon he took a pay cut. $150k-$200k

I wouldn't be suprised if they gave Lussick 300-350k.

I would be very surprised. Given how keen they were to get rid of Poore's massive contract, they would want to avoid a repeat of that.

I reckon Lussick is also on about $250k. I'd say he's on a bit of a speculator (i.e. a contract based on his potential rather than his output this year) but definitely less than Poore was on. I'd say Lussick will need to challenge for an Origin jersey to earn what he'll be getting paid, but I also think there's a very good chance of that. He's only 23 years old; his potential is huge.

Then assign a points system and marry it with salaries...if the NRL lets the players and their agents negotiate the deals, then they accept the salaries, simple IMO.

Imagine the arguments over a "points based" system. Sure there'd be no breaching of the cap, but the fans would be frothing at the mouth with accusations of bias one way or another.

Wouldn't solve the alleged issue of clubs over spending though

Moneyball here we come.

natheel

Coach
The players I think are in more coin than their worth

Lussick: we needed a signing though
Keating
Lasalo
Harrison: same as lussick

Those 4 are my main candidates that sk would have had on more money then they are worth

Eels Dude

Coach
I reckon Mannah and Fui would be on $250k tops. Tonga would be on at least $300k. I actually reckon Maitua would be on about $250k as well.

All between $100k and $150k I reckon. Obviously conjecture but I'm pretty confident.

Ben Smith was extended this year, and given talk of retirement plus his injury woes in recent seasons, I reckon he took a pay cut. $150k-$200k

I would be very surprised. Given how keen they were to get rid of Poore's massive contract, they would want to avoid a repeat of that.

I reckon Lussick is also on about $250k. I'd say he's on a bit of a speculator (i.e. a contract based on his potential rather than his output this year) but definitely less than Poore was on. I'd say Lussick will need to challenge for an Origin jersey to earn what he'll be getting paid, but I also think there's a very good chance of that. He's only 23 years old; his potential is huge.

So where's the money being spent on Poupou given we're at cap level. Mannah is on way more than 250k. Ryan, Paulo, and Sio should all be all around the 100k mark or less considering none were part of our top 25 this year so double of their salary should be a worthy pay rise. If they got anything more, poor cap management.

Ben Smith could have taken a paycut. Wouldn't surprise me either. And since he qualifies for the long term discount he should barely be affecting our cap.

Lussick who knows, but I get the feeling we're paying cash that he's a rep player already rather than a future one.

Regardless, if we're at cap level with our current squad there is no doubt there's at a select few players who are being highly overpaid or half a dozen to ten or so who are being moderately to significantly overpaid.

Suitman

Post Whore
So where's the money being spent on Poupou given we're at cap level. Mannah is on way more than 250k. Ryan, Paulo, and Sio should all be all around the 100k mark or less considering none were part of our top 25 this year so double of their salary should be a worthy pay rise. If they got anything more, poor cap management.

Ben Smith could have taken a paycut. Wouldn't surprise me either. And since he qualifies for the long term discount he should barely be affecting our cap.

Lussick who knows, but I get the feeling we're paying cash that he's a rep player already rather than a future one.

Regardless, if we're at cap level with our current squad there is no doubt there's at a select few players who are being highly overpaid or half a dozen to ten or so who are being moderately to significantly overpaid.

It's clear this must be the case.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
If we are sitting on the cap with this bullcrap squad then SK should get his 5 year plan shoved up firmly up his arse by an angry mob.

No wonder he fled to QLD.

84 Baby

Referee
A points system would alienate fans from the NRL even more. My opinion is that the issue lies in how much his contract is for 2013 compared to 2014 and beyond, say 10% in 2013, 40% in 2014 and 50% in 2015. The NRL very wisely doesnt like this arrangement. It flies in the face of the 'spirit' of the salary cap and is incredibly risky if there is a massive injury to the player. I reckon we can get it over the line if we get it closer to a 20/35/45 type split (although equally wouldn't surprise me if they knocked that back too) which means going off recent rumours/articles we need to shed an extra $100-150k plus minimum wage for every player we release after the first one.... however I am really perplexed given rumours throughout the year and my own reasonable calculations on how we can be anywhere near the cap limit. My only theory is Hoppa is taking up room, and given comments from the club I remember reading it would be significant room, meaning that A) 2012 and 2013 were/are essentially write-offs as we took the field knowingly with one superstar wage worth out of our salary cap, but B) when he is here he will take up significantly less than his reported deal of $850k a year

Latest posts