What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

natheel

Coach
are we paying any of Hoppas salary while he is doing his mission? could that be a factor if that is the case?

i can't understand how we could lose

Hindy
Burt
McGuire
Poore
Horo
Esi

and still be level with the cap after only signing 2 first graders??

I'm sure an email from Ken will be sent out explaining it all sometime tomorrow, he has been pretty quick to rubbish rumours or address articles lately

Mickyd39

Juniors
doesn't make sense

i'm sure we will find a way of fitting him in...souths managed to get GI in by letting champion go

Champion was wanted by the Titans, i can't imagine too many NRL clubs wanting Tonga, Lasalo or any of our other nuffies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Regardless, if we're at cap level with our current squad there is no doubt there's at a select few players who are being highly overpaid or half a dozen to ten or so who are being moderately to significantly overpaid.

More like we have too many players challenging for a first grade spot and being paid accordingly.

So where the ideal is to have a starting player on about $200k and his backup on $55k, we might have two blokes on $130k vying for that spot. Good for depth, but it hurts your quality on match day when at full strength the bloke in the top 17 is no better than the bloke who missed out.

Last edited:

Maroubra Eel

Coach
are we paying any of Hoppas salary while he is doing his mission? could that be a factor if that is the case?

i can't understand how we could lose

Hindy
Burt
McGuire
Poore
Horo
Esi

and still be level with the cap after only signing 2 first graders??

I'm sure an email from Ken will be sent out explaining it all sometime tomorrow, he has been pretty quick to rubbish rumours or address articles lately

More like we have too many players challenging for a first grade spot and being paid accordingly.

So where the ideal is to have a starting player on about $200k and his backup on $55k, we might have two blokes on $130k vying for that spot. Good for depth, but it hurts your quality on match day when at full strength the bloke in the top 17 is no better than the bloke who missed out.

But $55k is the new $130k, or is $130k the new $200k. I'm confused.

You could be right Pou, but if alot of those "back ups" are on $130k, our recruitment staff are even worse than I thought. I'd have thought that more of our top 17 would have been <$100k, as compared to back ups @ the $130k level. Then again we are talking about good old Parra.

Maybe this is where the media got the Sandow on $550k from. Front loaded to the hilt for two years @$550k because we had cap space, and then $250k for the final 2 years.

The Colonel

Immortal
Firstly, if the NRL are valuing a player who hasn't played NRL for two years at the level he is why aren't all player deals scrutinised and 'valued' by the NRL. Seems there are so many back ended deals at other clubs that aren't treated the same way.

Secondly, my understanding was the new team of Stuart and Edwards were going to manage our cap much better than what it has been and fix the issues with back ended contracts and that 2014 would have no such issues. They now take the 'professional' approach and ask to break the cap and then lower our cap for 2014 so as to create further issues for player signings.

Thirdly, is Folau really that important we need to break the cap to get him? He had yet to fully commit to a deal, or at least his last two. We have wingers and centres that could be as good worth half or less and won't cause is cap issues in the future. Good player but I don't see him as worth the hassle.

The Colonel

Immortal
Latest news suggests that $BW will sacrifice half his pay packet to allow Quade to play in the NRL. What odds can we get that this will be approved by the NRL?

Delboy

First Grade
The issue in all of this, the NRL should be using Izzy and Parra as a major drawcard for mthe code and its stand against AFL. Use Hayne and Izzy across the heartland, then that nuffy Schubert comes in with never heard before "player value" stance.

I suggest he goes and looks at the BRoncos, Rorters and Bulldogs in the same way, my sone came aorund lst night fior dinner and he coaches in the junior leagfue and just said " no wonder people are losing interest in the NRL, they just dont underatand and have questionable values for different clubs", he said it a little different to that but that is what he meant

The Parra salary cap was messed over previously, and they are trying to fix it, dont think it is justified blaming Ken Edwards and Sticky

Suitman

Post Whore
Latest news suggests that $BW will sacrifice half his pay packet to allow Quade to play in the NRL. What odds can we get that this will be approved by the NRL?

If Folau is valued at 400 k's, Money Bill would have to be double that.
I bet he isn't though.

Suity

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Thirdly, is Folau really that important we need to break the cap to get him? He had yet to fully commit to a deal, or at least his last two. We have wingers and centres that could be as good worth half or less and won't cause is cap issues in the future. Good player but I don't see him as worth the hassle.

Yep couldn't agree more, especially with hoppa on the way - we have enough stars in the backline (assuming Hayne resigns)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But $55k is the new $130k, or is $130k the new $200k. I'm confused.

You could be right Pou, but if alot of those "back ups" are on $130k, our recruitment staff are even worse than I thought. I'd have thought that more of our top 17 would have been <$100k, as compared to back ups @ the $130k level. Then again we are talking about good old Parra.

But they're not back ups. They're 'fringe first graders' which sit somewhere between backup and established first grader. They get paid a bit more than a backup because they're (hopefully) a bit better, while getting paid less than an established first grader.

I reckon we have many such players in our squad, at least as far as salaries go. The question is whether they are in fact better than a genuine backup player (on close to minimum salary).

Examples of legit backups are Daniel Penese and Lorenzo Ma'afu. These guys haven't been bought to challenge for a first grade spot (though they might, in which case we get good value out of them, assuming they are on minimum contract) - they have been signed to fill out the squad and only play first grade in case of injury.

Fringe first graders are guys like Ryan and Harrison; blokes who have some first grade experience but haven't shown enough to be considered established first graders.

We have far too many of the latter category of player, but it is out of this group that you find your hidden gems. By the end of next year Jacob Loko could have turned into a monster in the back row and be worth $250k+

Maybe this is where the media got the Sandow on $550k from. Front loaded to the hilt for two years @$550k because we had cap space, and then $250k for the final 2 years.

More likely is that Sandow is being paid a flat contract in the hope that as the salary cap rises, the relative value of his contract comes down. I'd say Lussick's contract is a similar case.

It's a pretty good strategy in a period of rising contracts. Like locking in a home loan when interest rates are low, except we know for certain the salary cap is going up.

DeanPay98

Juniors
I'd much rather see Folau playing for us than playing at another club. I don't think Schubert's objections are justified if Folau's salary evens out over the life of the contract. i don't see why we cant have discretion to underpay one year and then overpay him the next. I think thats a way better solution than being over the cap one year and under the cap the next. There is also too many other instances of differential treatment for this issue to be let lie.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If we are sitting on the cap with this bullcrap squad then SK should get his 5 year plan shoved up firmly up his arse by an angry mob.

No wonder he fled to QLD.

When Kearney left we were still throwing half a million dollars at any merkin who would glance our way.

If the money's since been spent it wasn't by Kearney.

Suitman

Post Whore
When Kearney left we were still throwing half a million dollars at any merkin who would glance our way.

If the money's since been spent it wasn't by Kearney.

How could it have since been spent?
We've bought f**k all.
All the damage was done beforehand mate.

Suity