What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sandow agreed to terms at least three times by all accounts, only to change his mind. Overs was the reason he came here.

Or you think he came to play under SK?

I think they will go wherever the money is, when it comes to changing clubs.

They might stay at their current club for less but they won't change clubs for anything other than the best offer.

Or do you think Tony Williams took a pay cut to go and play for Des Hasler?

Maroubra Eel

Coach
$700K increase in cap
$350K Hindy
$350K Poore
$100K Burt
$150K Horo
$150K Shack

That's $1.8M

$200K Lussick
$150K Harrison
$200K Haynes backended contract
$1.14M upgrades to all our nuffies

That's 1.69M

So by my calculations we are left with $110K to spend.
Seems about right to me.

Where'd all the money go again?

It will soon be announced that Billy Rogers wrote a country and western song about his time with the Eels titled "I got tears in my ears from lying on the bench and thinking of ewes", which he didn't declare to the NRL. Been a big hit, and now it's coming out of our cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
$700K increase in cap
$350K Hindy
$350K Poore
$100K Burt
$150K Horo
$150K Shack

That's $1.8M

$200K Lussick
$150K Harrison

That's 1.69M

Seems about right to me.

Looks good to me mate.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It will soon be announced that Billy Rogers wrote a country and western song about his time with the Eels titled "I got tears in my ears from lying on the bench and thinking of ewes", which he didn't declare to the NRL. Been a big hit, and now it's coming out of our cap.

Only because he wore his Eels tracksuit in the film clip.

Noise

Coach
$700K increase in cap
$350K Hindy
$350K Poore
$100K Burt
$150K Horo
$150K Shack

That's $1.8M

$200K Lussick
$150K Harrison

That's 1.69M

Seems about right to me.

I know your taking the piss with the figure but it seems supercoach has spent shitloads on nuffies.

At least when the Sharks were rubbish they were spending below the cap which meant there was room for a player like Carney (but it's okay coz we signed Ben Roberts at a similar time)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Roberts was stuck in reserve grade. Carney had won the Dally M medal 12 months before.

You reckon they command the same salary?

At least Roberts can stay off the piss and see out a contract.

Noise

Coach
Roberts was stuck in reserve grade. Carney had won the Dally M medal 12 months before.

You reckon they command the same salary?

At least Roberts can stay off the piss and see out a contract.

Of course not, but maybe with better salary cap management, ie. not overspending on nuffies we too might have been able to get Carney, especially seeing he would have been going relatively cheap at the time.

I couldnt give a shit if he likes the piss, as long as he can play footy. Were you also not happy with Reni signing? He also got on the piss (among other things) and couldn/t see out a contract. Personally, I was stoked when he announced he was coming to Parra

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Firstly, if the NRL are valuing a player who hasn't played NRL for two years at the level he is why aren't all player deals scrutinised and 'valued' by the NRL. Seems there are so many back ended deals at other clubs that aren't treated the same way.

Secondly, my understanding was the new team of Stuart and Edwards were going to manage our cap much better than what it has been and fix the issues with back ended contracts and that 2014 would have no such issues. They now take the 'professional' approach and ask to break the cap and then lower our cap for 2014 so as to create further issues for player signings.

Thirdly, is Folau really that important we need to break the cap to get him? He had yet to fully commit to a deal, or at least his last two. We have wingers and centres that could be as good worth half or less and won't cause is cap issues in the future. Good player but I don't see him as worth the hassle.

I agree with all of this. Definitely starting to wonder whether Izzy is worth the drama.

Latest posts