What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Gronk

Staff member
The NRL is a joke

Whilst I don't think that we should get any special treatment, I know for a fact that the AFL would find a way to get the deal over the line for their clubs. Especially as signing for the Eels would be a victory in the battle for the west with GWS & WSW.

strider

Post Whore
1. I can't believe we have spent the full cap with what we have
2. I can't believe any $s that were being thrown at hinchcliffe have been chewed up by renewing other contracts (they were all gonna need renewing anyway)
3. So I find it hard to believe we have only $110K under the cap ... I can only assume we are trying to play a bit of hard ball
4. I cannot believe the NRL can value izzy at $400K - which is apparently more than he was when he left league .... I accept he should probably not be on the books at $110K - I reckon $250K at least

5. something no one has talked about yet, which maybe worries me more than anything .... how will we have more cap room in 2014 than we have now given little Hoppa is coming on good coin? - we were supposedly happy to take a cut in our cap in 2014 .... yes there is talk of a cap increase, but it won't be huge .... who is leaving in 2014 that will free up alot of cap? I think we have cleared alot of nuffies from the squad already - don't know if we have alot more to clear (willie tonga is all and I would assume his money would be eaten up by normal yearly increases anyway)

mickdo

Coach
Whilst I don't think that we should get any special treatment, I know for a fact that the AFL would find a way to get the deal over the line for their clubs. Especially as signing for the Eels would be a victory in the battle for the west with GWS & WSW.

But it wouldn't be special treatment would it? Dragons get Gasnier for 50k for half a season, Lockyer a reduced rate, the Storm basically get anything they want, Souths, where the hell does it end? Sounds more like the other clubs get normal treatment and we get shit on a stick.

Well if Izzy ends up at souths that will do me, Time for another superleague the NRL has turned to shit, Us, penrith, Tigers, Raiders, Sharks, Cowboys, Perth, Central Coast, Brisbane Bombers and Dragons should start our own comp and tell the NRL to get stuffed.

strider

Post Whore
Strides what's this bit about yearly increases? Do our guys really warrant increases?

if their contracts were agreed with small increases each year then yeah ... if they are the same all the way through then fair enough, but i think often it's not he same amount every year - so from year-to-year I assume an NRL team will likely pay a bit extra to guys under contract cos the contract is structured that way.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
if their contracts were agreed with small increases each year then yeah ... if they are the same all the way through then fair enough, but i think often it's not he same amount every year - so from year-to-year I assume an NRL team will likely pay a bit extra to guys under contract cos the contract is structured that way.

Yes I see what you mean.

TheRam

Coach
I'm not sure if it is the NRL's fault. I think it's our own cap management that is the problem.

Of course it is the NRL's fault ME. If they were professional and on top of their game they would have had the rules already in that would allow this sort of thing to be possible for all clubs if needed. Not this embarrassing spectacle that it has turned out to be for all the parties concerned.

The solution is quite simple really as I have stated previously.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Of course it is the NRL's fault ME. If they were professional and on top of their game they would have had the rules already in that would allow this sort of thing to be possible for all clubs if needed. Not this embarrassing spectacle that it has turned out to be for all the parties concerned.

The solution is quite simple really as I have stated previously.

Yes you are probably right.

boxhead

First Grade
If Folau signs for a club like Souths, that will be the end of my relationship with Rugby League. When a competition seems to favour certain clubs over others, I literally cannot bear it.

I'll still support the Eels, but this is a complete and utter farce. As has been pointed out, the top teams are getting stronger whilst the bottom teams are getting weaker. Apparently, this is what the salary cap is for.

spiderdan

Bench
if souths do end up getting izzy it will show that the system is a bit of a joke.

the whole point of the salary cap is to distribute talent across the comp and help rotate the comp so that cashed up clubs don't always dominate.

if izzy went to a top four team while the arse end of the comp was blocked from signing him then something is seriously wrong.

i don't think we should be getting extra cap space for a year but at the same time the nrl should be telling a club how they can or can't load contracts, it defeats the purpose of having a $ amount on the cap.

zuke

Juniors
Over this Folau crap. The disappointing part of this is that we have missed out on Hock to fit in the potential signing. Trust me when I say this we will improve on this year but with all our player drain and failure to sign anyone with talent we will be toward the bottom of the ladder once again.

TheRam

Coach
If Folau signs for a club like Souths, that will be the end of my relationship with Rugby League. When a competition seems to favour certain clubs over others, I literally cannot bear it.

I'll still support the Eels, but this is a complete and utter farce. As has been pointed out, the top teams are getting stronger whilst the bottom teams are getting weaker. Apparently, this is what the salary cap is for.

Boxy I gave up on the NRL about two decades ago, but not on RL or Parra though.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Over this Folau crap. The disappointing part of this is that we have missed out on Hock to fit in the potential signing. Trust me when I say this we will improve on this year but with all our player drain and failure to sign anyone with talent we will be toward the bottom of the ladder once again.

What were we going to sign Hock with? Monopoly money.

boxhead

First Grade
Well I guess the good thing is that no-one in their right minds would sign Asotasi for the money he must be on for Souths to fit Folau in.

Muttman (one of the ParraFirst candidates) mentioned on nospam46 that this could very well be a very elaborate play for votes. He said that it might simply be announced in a week or so before the elections - we might just sign Folau out of nowhere. Given that he has connections to a current board-member, that comment might be more insightful than at first glance.

Latest posts