What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

strider

Post Whore
i'm surprised the waratahs would be keen to offer too much considering all the league guys who didn't really set the world on fire

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And aren't Yawnion almost broke???? A little birdy has told me the only reason Deans still has a job they can't afford to pay him out. Not sure how much cash they have to throw at I$$ie????

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The NRL should ban the Merkin and his manager, this is the second time he has f**ked RL he shouldn't be given a third chance.

that was sort of my point, he has brought the NRL game into disrepute twice now and I don't believe he should be given a third opportunity because based on his record, its only a matter of time till he chases the money elsewhere and as long as Moses is his manager its bound to happen imo

that was sort of my point, he has brought the NRL game into disrepute twice now and I don't believe he should be given a third opportunity because based on his record, its only a matter of time till he chases the money elsewhere and as long as Moses is his manager its bound to happen imo

Again I'm not defending him and Moses, but a lot of the 'disrepute' relates to the media sideshow, only part of which is down to Izzy/Moses. The clubs, the NRL, the tabloid media, forumites who react to unsubtantiated rumours as though they are god's truth etc play a fair part in generating the 'disrepute' part. The problem for me is that he has not negotiated in good faith. Unfortunately....impossible to prove.

Maybe he's telling the truth...he wants to play with Jarryd....at the Roosters in 2014.

get sick of hearing this crap, while it might be true for some, these would struggle to keep employment anyway.

Players who show loyalty to the game or club, especially high profile players, end up being looked after either by the game or sponsors.

Hindy, Cayless and Burt are perfect examples and look how many ex players are in the media.

Nice spirit in this email mate. Why don't you count how many ex players have full time media jobs, and compare that to the number of ex-players (or even the number of ex-representative players). Your first sentence accuses me of talking crap, then concedes that it's sometimes true....and I have no idea how 'these would struggle to keep employment anyway' does anything other than reinforce exactly what I was saying.

Eels Dude

Coach
Izzy's track record isn't going to do him any favours in the future

- Leaves Melbourne, the club that gave him his start for a big money offer for the Broncos.
- Just a year and a bit into a 4 year deal with Brisbane exercises a clause where he's allowed to field other offers over a one month period and quickly cuts his Broncos deal short to sign with the AFL
- Walks out on his AFL deal halfway through citing he's desperate to return to league and is released
- After the Eels believe his sob story about him wanting to play with his brother and mates they do everything in their power to come up with a satisfactory deal and when one is finally approved by the NRL and meets Izzy's terms he rejects it to play union overseas.

Surely now and club or code would seriously think twice about even speaking to the merkin given the amount of backstabbing and lack of loyalty and honesty he portrays. The bloke has absolutely no credibility going for him now.

oldmancraigy

Coach
And aren't Yawnion almost broke???? A little birdy has told me the only reason Deans still has a job they can't afford to pay him out. Not sure how much cash they have to throw at I$$ie????

Correct.

No secret that the massive offer$ they were throwing around post world cup was a result of the 'war chest' build up.
Now the ARU is funding 5 franchises on a TV in no way comparable to RL or AFL.

The days of "play union in Australia for big bucks" are long gone. The top players will now be 'second rate payscale' guys in comparison to RL (or AFL).

So if Izzy wants to join the 'Tahs, then he'll be looking at less than the (reported) $310k he would've made with us (not to mention the endorsement market in RL.

oldmancraigy

Coach
After struggling to adapt to life in the AFL, Folau's undoubted talents would seemingly translate easily to the 15-a-side game.

Did anyone else find the logic behind this sentence hilarious??

the big fella is a world class rugby league winger, not least because of his ability to jump and catch the high ball.
Based on this outstanding talent, it was assumed he would be awesome at AFL. But he's not.
So now, we're assuming that because he was good at Rugby League, he'll be awesome in Rugby Union?

Surely the ARU have learned from the mistakes of the past signings, how did big bad Lote Tuquiri go?!? Oh dear.

Izzy's track record isn't going to do him any favours in the future

- Leaves Melbourne, the club that gave him his start for a big money offer for the Broncos.
- Just a year and a bit into a 4 year deal with Brisbane exercises a clause where he's allowed to field other offers over a one month period and quickly cuts his Broncos deal short to sign with the AFL
- Walks out on his AFL deal halfway through citing he's desperate to return to league and is released
- After the Eels believe his sob story about him wanting to play with his brother and mates they do everything in their power to come up with a satisfactory deal and when one is finally approved by the NRL and meets Izzy's terms he rejects it to play union overseas.

Surely now and club or code would seriously think twice about even speaking to the merkin given the amount of backstabbing and lack of loyalty and honesty he portrays. The bloke has absolutely no credibility going for him now.

Agree he has zero credibility for most of the reasons you cite. Not sure the 'brother' thing is right though, b/c I seem to recall him stating that this was not a factor in his choice of where to go once he'd left AFL. PLenty of people on forums decided it was a factor, and then other people take this as fact.

strider

Post Whore
Did anyone else find the logic behind this sentence hilarious??

the big fella is a world class rugby league winger, not least because of his ability to jump and catch the high ball.
Based on this outstanding talent, it was assumed he would be awesome at AFL. But he's not.
So now, we're assuming that because he was good at Rugby League, he'll be awesome in Rugby Union?

Surely the ARU have learned from the mistakes of the past signings, how did big bad Lote Tuquiri go?!? Oh dear.

yeah i had a chuckle when i read that too ..... even the guys with slightly higher footy IQs struggled to go from league to union - the positional play and tactics is what they take time to grasp (if they ever do) - i think izzy would struggle big time

Far Canal

Juniors
I think our coach said it best (per today's Sunday Tele:

"I'd rather know today about the dishonorable characteristics of Israel than pay him all the money that we tried to secure over the past eight weeks, then find out about the way he operates," Stuart said.

"I know it's an easy throwaway line, but success is built on culture and our club is plus one in culture by not having Israel."

Sounds like they tried to bluff the eels/nrl into coming up with more cash. Well done parra on calling this bluff. There obviously was no overseas offer if he is now talking to waratahs. Will end up with less money and be even more unhappy.

Ratchy

Juniors
No, he done nothing wrong. We cleared the decks for him, releasing horo and tonga, and by all accounts we were also trying to release w tonga. Thank f**k willie is still with us.

No, he did nothing wrong. Nothing wrong with that?

Oh so now Esi Tonga and Horo will valuable pieces for next years tilt at the comp...that will do me :lol:

Ethically of course neither one of them acted properly but how in the hell can the NRL ban them over this when both SBW and Lyon both broke contracts and allowed to be back in the comp. If the NRL tried to do your ridiculous statement they would prolly end up in court and would lose.

IFR33K

Coach
Oh so now Esi Tonga and Horo will valuable pieces for next years tilt at the comp...that will do me :lol:

Ethically of course neither one of them acted properly but how in the hell can the NRL ban them over this when both SBW and Lyon both broke contracts and allowed to be back in the comp. If the NRL tried to do your ridiculous statement they would prolly end up in court and would lose.

You're either a bad troll or really f**king stupid...take your pick.

Where did I state that Esi and Horo are valuable to our chances for 2013. I merely stated we cleared the decks, to accommodate him.

Where did I state that I$$y or his management should be banned?? I clearly stated that about time the NRL grew a set.

If you're going to troll, attempt to be good at it.

Last edited:

Windy70

Juniors
Blessing in disguise for you guys with his track record. He is a tower of dishonesty. Shame though, good player but far too untrustworthy, so it seems. Not a guy you want in the trenches with you that's for sure.

Latest posts