What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

84 Baby

Referee
I'd rather us have the money from 2014 that folau would have been on and chuck it at Thurston and try and get a good five eight to the club. We have some good young centres coming through
This I would love to see. I understand salary cap restraints and some people's views on Sandow and they would make a small halves pairing but I reckon Thurston could really teach Sandow plus he's still the premiere half in the sport.

But he'll probably be at the Dogs with Folau and Tamou and Hock and Farah and...

spiderdan

Bench
I've only just caught up with all of this.

Firstly I have never seen a quote from Izzy stating that he had agreed with the Eels. No hand shake or group hug from what I can see.

Secondly I have not seen any confirmation that the deal put to Izzy was acceptable in $$ terms. Maybe we offered him under what they wanted or he didn't want a 4 year deal ?

IMHO Izzy has not "dogged" us at all on the evidence provided so far.
there is a reason why ricky stuart is not impressed with the whole thing.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ith-rugby-league/story-e6frext9-1226528450423

Dean Ritchie: Money-hungry Israel Folau has burnt his bridges with rugby league
Dean Ritchie

The Daily Telegraph
December 03, 2012 12:00AM

JUST like when he went to earn millions in AFL, Israel Folau will miss rugby league more than we'll miss him.

And when he realises that the 15-man code can be as frustrating as AFL, there's no way we should welcome him back to rugby league.

Why? Ask Eels coach Ricky Stuart and he'll shake his head and use phrases like "dishonourable and greedy" about Folau and his unaccredited manager Isaac Moses.

Ask Eels great Steve Edge, who played in the first State of Origin match and captained Parramatta to three premierships and the response is also in the negative.

"It's not desirable behaviour," Edge said. "When someone comes to you as Folau did and makes a decision you should stick to it.

"It would be disappointing from Parramatta's point of view but the club should just move on."

Maybe Parramatta should have known better.

When Folau quit the AFL he told media representatives he had not spoken to any clubs, despite already initiating discussions with Parramatta.

His manager lost his accreditation with the NRL for being involved in the Storm's salary cap rorts.

Folau hinted at a switch to rugby union when he walked out of AFL last month.

"It's an option. I played rugby union when I younger as well," he said. "I've got the passion to play (rugby) as well ... I'm leaving all options open."

I$rael and his manager asked rugby league to wait two years while he went off and made millions playing AFL.

They asked the Eels to welcome him back to the game he loved.

And they asked the Eels to break the salary cap to get him back to rugby league.

You know what I$rael, we don't want you back.

Go and play rugby union, stand on the wing where you will see the ball twice a match.

And you can all but rest assured we won't be seeing him playing in Waratahs colours next season.

Their salary cap is stretched and they'd have to rely on a top-up from the Australian Rugby Union, which now more than ever, is hard to imagine.

oldmancraigy

Coach
My take on this is that the offer approved by Schubert was considered unders by Moses. So they told Parra to up the ante or they play Rugby. The papers went with headlines "Folau choses Rugby" and we said that he has shafted us, but I think really what that the truth is that we simply didn't offer enough to get him over the line.

Yeah but the thing you're missing is that Schubert doesn't negotiate contracts. He only approves the agreed upon submitted contracts.

So we had a number we were working towards (the initial $110k + 3rd party endorsements that we "didn't arrange" [[except Ricky said we worked hard to arrange them - moron]]).
Moses and Izzy were happy, Schu said "no - must be valued at $400k"
Eventually the to-and-fro worked out so that we'd be allowed to have his $110k deal valued at $310k under the cap, and then Moses said "uh, let's play rugby".

Sounds like Moses was trying to push the price up, but if Folau wanted to play with Parra, he should've then sacked Moses and got someone else who could close that deal for him.

Fair amount of negotiating that went on between the Eels/ Folau and Moses for big Izzy himself to be excluded from all blame...

Gronk

Staff member
What exactly do they mean when the say Israels offer was unconditional?

It means that he offer on the table was not subject Eels Board or ARLC approval. Unconditional meant that it could be signed there and then and be binding on each party.

It means that he offer on the table was not subject Eels Board or ARLC approval. Unconditional meant that it could be signed there and then and be binding on each party.

Yes, and more specifically, was not conditional on the final determination of the 2013 salary cap.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
unconditional on the salary cap being increased ?

unconditional on Schubert's approval (based on our current roster) ?

Gronk

Staff member
The Roar has confirmed that Israel Folau will sign with the NSW Waratahs. A press conference will be held within the next 24-36 hours to announce the Waratahs deal. Folau will front the media in a Waratahs jersey where it will be announced that he will be playing in the 2013 Super Rugby season.
It is unclear exactly what salary agreements have been reached between the parties, but it is understood to be considerably less than the $1.5m on offer per year from the AFL, and the deal will be without ‘top-up’ assistance from the ARU.
Waratahs staff are expected to be asked how Folau can fit underneath the salary cap in place for the Super Rugby competition. The cap has recently been increased to $4.5 million for the 2013 season, after a deal between the ARU and Rugby Union Players Association.
Folau has added kicking to his skill set after his stint in the AFL with the GWS Giants, and has played rugby in his youth.
He is expected to add firepower to the Waratahs backline once he has adjusted to his third professional code in Australia. His performances will be keenly watched by supporter base coming off a worst ever season in 2012.
Folau will have a slightly shortened pre-season under new Waratahs coach Michael Cheika, and will need to bulk up from his AFL-style endurance physique.
The confirmation of Israel Folau signing to the NSW Waratahs is a major coup for rugby in Australia and will leave many at NRL headquarters pondering what could have been – in particular, what went wrong with the Parramatta Eels deal.
Is this the right signing for the NSW Waratahs?
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/12/03/israel-folau-to-sign-one-year-deal-with-nsw-waratahs/

strider

Post Whore
I hope the muthaf**ker HATES it and it turns out to be the worst experience of his life

dickhead!

and you watch - he'll end up at the bulldogs in 2014 ..... then his dickheadness will be complete

spiderdan

Bench
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/12/03/israel-folau-to-sign-one-year-deal-with-nsw-waratahs/Folau has added kicking to his skill set after his stint in the AFL with the GWS Giants
this bit makes me laugh. rugby union's very own dumb-arse, greg martin (union's version of laurie daley in commentary but 5x worse), was talking about it on fox sports the other day.

they say it like folau had never kicked a football in his life and like the four kicks he put in general play in the afl somehow made him develop a kicking game that, despite afl and rugby being vastly different, will somehow be of benefit in union (actually some dummies were saying similar things when he was returning to league).

failau may do well at union but it won't be because of this mythical kicking game they think he developed in five minutes of afl (newsflash to the dummies that don't watch the game: he was rubbish). he still needs to adapt to the rules.

Gronk

Staff member
this bit makes me laugh. rugby union's very own dumb-arse, greg martin (union's version of laurie daley in commentary but 5x worse), was talking about it on fox sports the other day.

they say it like folau had never kicked a football in his life and like the four kicks he put in general play in the afl somehow made him develop a kicking game that, despite afl and rugby being vastly different, will somehow be of benefit in union (actually some dummies were saying similar things when he was returning to league).

failau may do well at union but it won't be because of this mythical kicking game they think he developed in five minutes of afl (newsflash to the dummies that don't watch the game: he was rubbish). he still needs to adapt to the rules.

If you don't think that Izzy has made 10,000 kicks in his time at AFL whether at training or in the actual game, you are dreaming. Of course his kicking skills would have improved and also his ability to catch a ball above his head.

He will be an asset to either rugby code and it's just sour grapes if you deny that now.

I'm not all that fussed cos frankly we're ok with backs etc and I'd rather have a Cam Smith or Paul Gallen etc at that price.

Eels Dude

Coach
and you watch - he'll end up at the bulldogs in 2014 ..... then his dickheadness will be complete

Nah he'll be playing in the A-League in 2014. Who knows what the following year, maybe play in the Pennants for Toongabbie Bowling Club.

Hanscholo

Bench
Don't want him here, overated,overpriced and has shown no loyalty in a short career so far. And lets face it he will need to put on 20kgs of muscle after starving himself for two years. If we sign this turd and lose Hayne that will just about do me.

This ^^^^^

spiderdan

Bench
If you don't think that Izzy has made 10,000 kicks in his time at AFL whether at training or in the actual game, you are dreaming. Of course his kicking skills would have improved and also his ability to catch a ball above his head.

He will be an asset to either rugby code and it's just sour grapes if you deny that now.

I'm not all that fussed cos frankly we're ok with backs etc and I'd rather have a Cam Smith or Paul Gallen etc at that price.
there's a difference between kicking a ball in practice and kicking a ball in a competitive match, and i've never said he will flop in union or if he returned to nrl (i've said before he would be better in nrl if he returned because he was leaner and fitter). all i was saying is it makes me laugh how his kicking has been talked about by people (plenty of which bag afl and don't watch it) like all of a sudden he will be kicking like he was andrew johns. playing union he will do the same things well that he did well in league once he adjusts to the rules, those being being a powerful and quick ball carrier, and being freakishly good going for attacking kicks.

kicking a different shaped ball in a 360 game with vastly different playing conditions (which he did about 10 times) i don't think will be something that will help him going to yet another code but i guess time will tell.

no sour grapes here.