What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau wants AFL to thrive

Brutus

Referee
http://sportal.com.au/League-news-display/folau-hopes-afl-thrives-85535

NRL superstar Israel Folau has made the stunning admission that he hopes the AFL succeeds in its battle to win over rugby league fans in Sydney's west.
The representative winger, a product of Sydney's south-west, went against the script on Monday when he gave the AFL an unexpected free kick at a coaching clinic attended by the NRL All Stars at Blacktown.
The AFL has been aggressively targetting Sydney's west ahead of Team GWS's entry into the national competition in 2012.
The support for a rival code from one of the game's biggest names clearly caught NRL chief executive David Gallop off guard.
"It will probably take a bit of time (but) I certainly hope they (the AFL) can make a few inroads however long it takes," Folau said.
"I hope it goes well for them."
"Rugby league is really big in western Sydney and I'd like to see a bit of a change and see how that goes."
"I'd certainly like to see the league game stay up there but for a little bit of change I want to see AFL get a bit of (a foothold) out there."
Told of Folau's support for AFL, a stunned Gallop responded: "(It's) a surprising comment."
"I'm not sure what he meant by that. They are seen as the competition and today is about reminding people we are strong in western Sydney, that it is our heartland."
"I think we can call it the home of the game in many respects but we've got to be conscious that our competitors are trying to get in here and we've got to continue to keep our foot on the pedal."
But rugby league great Brad Fittler, a Penrith junior now working as a development officer in Sydney's west, believes Australians rules will have a major impact on the sporting landscape.
"I think they will (make inroads), there is no doubt," he said.
"They're organised and you can see already Kevin Sheedy is putting a lot of energy into it."
"Numbers alone will allow another organisation to come in. They're organised, they've got a lot of money."
"They want to over-take the world. That's the way they are."
But asked if he feared the AFL invasion, Fittler continued: "No, not really."
"I'm not really fussed about AFL. I like the idea kids are out playing any sport but I really enjoy rugby league out here."
"It's been here a long time and it's here to stay, no doubt."

beave

Coach
are we looking at Palestine defecting to the "dropsy ball" code soon?????

Noa

First Grade
homer_doh.png

Devilous

Juniors
That's one of the most suprising articles I have ever seen.

I suppose now he said it, there will be a media sh*tstorm for the next 2-3 days and he will be asked again, wonder if he will giver the same answer??

Chook Norris

First Grade
unbelievable, just when you thought players couln't get any dumber ...

he does realise that league losing its foothold of western sydney could potentially, and indirectly, affect player wages?

rabbit0h8

Juniors
How long does his contract at Brisbane last because he might be thinking of heading to AFL after that.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Fair dinkum, what type of moron is this fella.

If you like the game that much, piss off and join the West Sydney whatevers, I'm sure you'll be forgotten in quick time.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Melbourne fans will blame Dennis Fitzgerald as usual...

well done to Issy "Jonah" Falau...hope you get offered that multi million doller contract you f**king turncoat!!

Chook Norris

First Grade
"It will probably take a bit of time (but) I certainly hope they (the AFL) can make a few inroads however long it takes," Folau said.
"I hope it goes well for them."
"Rugby league is really big in western Sydney and I'd like to see a bit of a change and see how that goes."
"I'd certainly like to see the league game stay up there but for a little bit of change I want to see AFL get a bit of (a foothold) out there."

stunning absolutely stunning, but hey, it's Israel Folau.. not the brightest bloke is he?

What possible reason could IF have for saying such a thing?
nothing but pure idiocy

beave

Coach
most interviews I have seen he comes across as a bit of a moron, this pretty much confirms it to be honest.

beave

Coach
You can be nice, but still the same be a moron. Footy players aren't generally the brightest sparks.......

Canard

Immortal
It really doesn't sound like a verbatim quote from Izzy, Ive got my doubts.

Its like on commercial radio when they do there so called vox pops (street talk) and someone says "I like Triple M cause it plays a great mix of contemporary and old hits"

Yeh right..

Latest posts