What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the unfit, the semi-fit, the fit - 100 Push Up Challenge

Parra

Referee
This is a challenge for everyone - you start at your own level and progress at your own level.

It's a good motivator for the poor exercisers like me. A good challenge for the fat and unfit like me and a good test for the fit people among us.

It will take a degree of self assessment and honesty.

Starts next Monday - 8th February. Having said that, you can start when you want. Start early, join late - it still works.

Post your intentions, and your progress in this thread. Use the link below to find out what it is all about.

http://www.hundredpushups.com

Nikki

Coach
OMG! Lord knows when the last time I did a push up was.. Im gunna try this tho. Might help strengthen my dodgy shoulder (or might f**k it up completely!!) :lol:

Hallatia

Referee
can I do sit ups instead? Push-ups always feel like punishment for doing something wrong in training...

adamkungl

Immortal
lol....i only managed 30 before my arms screamed in pain. I don't think I'll try the program, would interfere way too much with my normal gym routine

Hallatia

Referee
I can already do 200 situps in a row, so I guess doing situps instead isn't enough of a challenge. I can do plenty of "girl pushups" no problem. I tried the pushup challenge this morning with actual pushups, got through about 25...

Shorty

Staff member
^Sit ups with your feet hooked onto something?
I've done this before, I can do about 40 or so on my toes...I might try it again tomorrow sometime.

Engine

Juniors
I'll be doing the sit up challenge. I'll do an initial assessment this week and will stat on it at the same time Parra starts his push up challenge.

Thanks for the great resources Parra!!!

Copa

Bench
Last year i was doing 100 push-ups with a backpack on and my feet elevated on the lounge.. seems a world away now ... I've started running too much and let my other strengths go.. ...

must get back into weights and push-ups...

JoeD

First Grade
I started the challenge and it is challenging from the first session. It sets your program on how many pushups you can do before you start the challenge. I managed to get out 13 and the program it gave me for the first day was a set of 10, 12, 7, 7 and 9 with 60 seconds rest between each set. I'm not sure how it expected me to 45 pushups in the space of 7-8 minutes when i could only do 13 the day before. I was done half way through the 4th set. That was Fri night and my chest is still killing me.

Engine

Juniors
My pre-test resulted in 28 sit-ups. I'll start the program after each weights session starting tomorrow.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Mmm, i can usually do around 55-60 push-ups before i give up.. funny thing is that takes 2.5 minutes max, and i doubt i'm doing them wrong as i just about go the whole way down; arms begin to get really heavy around the 42-43 mark

i remember a school friend doing 100 push-ups in front of a whole group of us, looked like the most painful thing ever (esp the last 20)

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
having said that, i'd love to achieve a century :)

edit: 50 push-ups in 46 seconds just then

i'll leave that as my base and attempt to prove on that

Not sure whether i'll follow the program though

Last edited:

JoeD

First Grade
I down graded my initial test to 10 instead of 12 and it resulted in a way more mangaeable program. I wonder if my chest and arms are going to ache for the whole 6 weeks?

Thomas

First Grade
I'll give this a bash today.

When I was a younger lad (much fitter and with lots more hair on my head) I could smash out between 55-60 push ups in a minute. At my club it was one of the ways we measured fitness (among other strenuous tests). I thought I was pretty good but then this South African guy got down and busted out 200 pushups in one go. Just like that.

Red Bear

Referee
Pre season soccer has started so we are regularly doing lots of 20 push ups/30 crunch's(of various methods). I couldnt do much more than 20 i dont think, Brok my left wrist not so long ago and it isnt brilliant with pressure on it just yet, plus my right shoulder is sh*t.

Thomas

First Grade
My initial test was 20. I could have gone to about 25 but 29 was the next cut off.

Decided to jump straight into week one and did okay. I struggled with the last set though.