What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who are Self Isolating

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm working from home for the foreseeable future, my wife always works from home and now my daughter is doing home learning. We have quite a long office desk so we are all on the same bench and so far it is working great.

I already work long hours so that hasn't changed to be honest.

I am a little worried that the longer I am forced to stay inside the more chances there are that I will crack and give into temptation and start snacking. So far so good, I have been able to keep my usual routine of over 22kms a day of walking/running and weights 3 times a week (home gym).

I am medicated for anxiety so that is good in the current situation. I am no longer on blood pressure medication, I literally exercised it away.

Work is crazy with COVID-19 related preparation and also managing 16 staff all working from home and ensuring they're ok and they are looking after themselves and families and being as focused as possible.

I am in the middle of a The Flash re-watch and will probably watch all the Star Wars movies when that is done and then onto the Infinity Saga after that. I am a little OCD so I need to watch everything in order and can't just watch an out of order movie or episode.

I have spent a shit load of money the last week because I was holding out till June for a trip to Hawaii to buy clothes after losing over 55 kgs but now that is pretty much guaranteed to be cancelled I went shopping to get new clothes, shoes etc. I also purchased a Nespresso machine in case i can no longer get take away coffee as I need my 1 or 2 a day and can't stand instant coffee.

Hope you all stay safe and reach out to people if you need anything physically or mentally. Some really tough times ahead for so many people.

That's an incredible effort, mate! I'm proud of you!

Incorrect

Coach
I've gotten some bad news at work and it looks like i may be looking job in the not to distant future.

I've worked the same job for a long long time and am shitting bricks at having to find something else.

@Gary Gutful the next round at the Chardies might have to be on you.
That's a kick in the guts no doubt. Wish you luck mate.

What sort of work do you do? Given it has been a while since you've been looking, if you need any advice on drafting CV's etc let me know. I've spent the first couple of months of this year reviewing hundreds of cover letters and CV's (cause the recruiter I was working with was too lazy to cull and shortlist for me) and I've seen some absolute train wrecks come through. It really does help to have something that stands out from the rest. Drop me a PM any time...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That sucks :(

My thoughts are with you, mate - I hope things work out foe you.
Thanks mate, and all the best with your situation as well. Hope you find somewhere for your mum, it is scary times atm. My Nan is in a nusring home atm and is very sick and her nursing home is in lockdown. Mum is worried sick she can't go down to NSW and see her.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That's a kick in the guts no doubt. Wish you luck mate.

What sort of work do you do? Given it has been a while since you've been looking, if you need any advice on drafting CV's etc let me know. I've spent the first couple of months of this year reviewing hundreds of cover letters and CV's (cause the recruiter I was working with was too lazy to cull and shortlist for me) and I've seen some absolute train wrecks come through. It really does help to have something that stands out from the rest. Drop me a PM any time...
I work for a company that services Indoor plants, i'm lucky i've worked for the same guy for a long time and he will look after me for as long as he is able. He's near retirement age and i've been saving up to buy the business those plans are probably shot to bits atm of or that back burner at least. Cheers for the shout out mate.

strider

Post Whore
Thanks mate, and all the best with your situation as well. Hope you find somewhere for your mum, it is scary times atm. My Nan is in a nusring home atm and is very sick and her nursing home is in lockdown. Mum is worried sick she can't go down to NSW and see her.
thats very sad .... I know they think this lockdown business is the right way, but there are gonna be absolutely massive unplanned side effects that may end up just as devastating

I saw an interview with a woman from an aged care place who was saying they are taking precautions but not locking down because their residents simply wouldn't handle being unable to see relos

IFR33K

Coach
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope it all works out.

Will definitely shout you a post COVID-19 beer when I am next in Brisbane. We talk enough shit about drinking beer with Eelo. It would be nice to actually meet you both one day.

What about me?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
thats very sad .... I know they think this lockdown business is the right way, but there are gonna be absolutely massive unplanned side effects that may end up just as devastating

I saw an interview with a woman from an aged care place who was saying they are taking precautions but not locking down because their residents simply wouldn't handle being unable to see relos
My Aunties has been seeing my Nan almost daily since she went in about 6 months ago. But i think there has been a positive test so i suppose it's for everyones safety. Doesn't make it any easier on my Nan who is a little confused by all of this.

IFR33K

Coach
Sorry to hear the bad news @hineyrulz. There’s going to be tough times ahead for the bulk of us, if we can manage to get thru this with our loved ones unscathed, we’re lucky. Jobs and money will always come and go, we only get one shot at life!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sorry to hear the bad news @hineyrulz. There’s going to be tough times ahead for the bulk of us, if we can manage to get thru this with our loved ones unscathed, we’re lucky. Jobs and money will always come and go, we only get one shot at life!
True mate it could always be worse, we do have to meet up and have an Eels forum piss up after all this is over.

Gronk

Staff member
Cheers mate, i haven't lost my job yet but it's starting to look like it. Hey maybe a change might be good for me in the long run. But change can be scary.
My Mrs is working from home and is v busy. The managing partner called her last night painting a picture of gloom and inferring pay cuts are on the horizon.

We discussed it last night and concluded that the best result for her is:-

1. Make yourself indispensable so others are culled before you.
2. If paycuts are mooted, suggest that you work 3 days a week at full pay rather than a pay cut. The strategy there is once work picks up, her days will be increased and hence she will be on full pay. If she agrees to a pay cut, when does your salary revert back ? What is the matrix that triggers this ?
3. In lieu of being stood down, offer to work with little to zero remuneration. This is better than having to find a new job when the economy spings back. Also shows dedication to the firm and the greater good.

Just our thoughts.

Incorrect

Coach
My Mrs is working from home and is v busy. The managing partner called her last night painting a picture of gloom and inferring pay cuts are on the horizon.

2. If paycuts are mooted, suggest that you work 3 days a week at full pay rather than a pay cut. The strategy there is once work picks up, her days will be increased and hence she will be on full pay. If she agrees to a pay cut, when does your salary revert back ? What is the matrix that triggers this ?
3. In lieu of being stood down, offer to work with little to zero remuneration. This is better than having to find a new job when the economy spings back. Also shows dedication to the firm and the greater good.

Just our thoughts.

Is this a law firm you're referring to?

hindy111

Post Whore

Just our thoughts.

Spings

Bazal

Post Whore
I was thinking, on the way to he office to get what I need to work from home, that for everyone round here this will wind up being the year we all stayed inside.

We were trapped inside by bushfire smoke from the end of Nov to pretty much the end of January... Clear air from kind of mid Feb until now, and then isolation again...

It's nuts

hindy111

Post Whore
Once this blows over won't everything just start back up again or most things atleast?
I know heaps lost jobs but all these bars and shops will open back up wont they? Or most will.

strider

Post Whore
Once this blows over won't everything just start back up again or most things atleast?
I know heaps lost jobs but all these bars and shops will open back up wont they? Or most will.
I assume bucketloads of places will fail to exist .... but others will rise afterwards

Latest posts