What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who think Soccer is no threat

BuffaloRules

Coach
A few people got on the soccer bandwagon in the Central Coast and Sydney during the long hot days of summer...

IN other places, the crowds actually went backwards from the NSL days ( see Perth and NZ)...

Still got a long way to go IMO...

BuffaloRules

Coach
There is more contact in netball then soccer.

Aussies are like Americans and Kiwis - they like their sports a bit rougher then soccer....

Raider Ultra

Bench
BuffaloRules said:
Aussies are like Americans and Kiwis - they like their sports a bit rougher then soccer....
What a load of horsesh*t. I'm an Aussie, but I love soccer. Where shall I hand my passport in...:roll:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Raider Ultra said:
What a load of horsesh*t. I'm an Aussie, but I love soccer. Where shall I hand my passport in...:roll:

At the airport on your way to any pissant country where soccer is the No 1 sport....

Raider Ultra

Bench
BuffaloRules said:
At the airport on your way to any pissant country where soccer is the No 1 sport....
Haha, this thread gets better. Yes, UK, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, all pissant countries. In the greater scheme of things, Australia means f*ck all, as does rugby league.

fanatique

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
Basketball is a trivial sport in comparison to the global coverage of football. It's more international than the likes of leagues and everyone knows Jordan, but that's about it.

No offence mate but nonsense. It is the biggest participation sport in both China and the US which are the biggest markets in the worls. Philippines Bball is huge. Spain and Italy have successful leagues. Greece, the Euro soccer champions have more Bballers than soccer players. FIBA have more registered nations than FIFA believe it or not. Bball is a genuine world sport and is probably the fastest growing sport in the world.
EG recently the NBA said more than half of hits on its site came from outside north America and Jordan isn't playing anymore.

fanatique

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Haha, this thread gets better. Yes, UK, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, all pissant countries. In the greater scheme of things, Australia means f*ck all, as does rugby league.

In which case what the hell are you wasting your time on a site devoted to a sport which means f#ck all?

Balmain_Boy

Sorry, but the majority of Australians rightly or wrongly think soccer is boring. No point in discussing the merits of their decision; it won't change it. For that reason, soccer will never be huge. Whilst they might have had a big increase in $$$, if you recall in the last year, so have the AFL, Union and the greatest game of all.

Briza

Juniors
I find it quite funny, that with the amount of registered players SA has - the game at the elite level has little support in this country.

And when you consider how crazy the poms/Europeans are about it, it never carried on through the generations.

Unless Australia make the WC final, I can't see it changing anytime soon.

Y2Eel

First Grade
soccer is boring until australia play i'll support any australian team in any sport.. but the a league just cant get my attention..

Trevor Cogger

Juniors
People who think soccer isnt a threat are ignorant..

With the move into Asia ,W/Cup and A League the game will definately become more popular but the biggest threat to Rubgy League is that they will take the corporate dollar with them.

As is evident todays announcement it will only be the start

Ant

Juniors
I actually think a lot of Australians enjoy soccer, however the problem for soccer in this country is that we rarely get to see soccer of the highest quality played in Australia. There is perhaps on average 1 game a year in this country of top level soccer, maybe less.

I do agree with some of the posters there is no doubt soccer has made positive progress, but I will still place it well behind rugby union.

Soccer and rugby union have a similar problem in that no free to air commercial station is really interested in showing their major club/province competition. So the amount of money they can earn is limited.

Soccer has an additonal problem, the A league in comparison to other leagues is not strong, wouldn't be in the top 10 maybe not even in the top 20 leagues in the world. The 3 other major sports all have the advantage of having the world's best competition run in Australia.

On the crowd front A league crowds were solid, average of 11000 for the season is solid support, its whether that can be maintained is another question. Only the 4 teams averaged over 10000, brisbane, sydney, melbourne and adeliade and you hope see given the population they are drawing from. Perth, newcastle and CC averaged in 8-9000 mark and obviosuly NZ were a failure with under 4000.

Will it maintain, well depends on a few things. If the A league can get steady flow of older star australians and odd overseas (AKA yourke) to play in the league then probably yes. You need to have names people know to attract fans. They need the socceroos to play well in the world cup, if they fall in a heap and get flogged it won't help the a league because people people won't be as willing to stay up late to watch other teams.

But I will say by having that 17 mill, they have at least a base to work from even if it is relatively small in comparison to other codes.

Trevor Cogger

Juniors
Agree with most of what you said but Im sure most soccer pundits would agree that the success of soccer will be a part generation thing and with all the extra dollars who know's how strong the A League will be in 10 , 15 years.

Razor

Coach
It is the biggest participation sport in both China and the US which are the biggest markets in the worls.

Partipiation means nothing. Soccer is the biggest participation sport in Australia.

Basketball is a minor sport on the world scale. Same as Union.

Latest posts