What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward Pack power rankings 2019

Bronco18

Juniors
Alex Glenn the omission. What a loss, would have made SFA difference, I’m sure his omission makes it easier to deal with that humiliation to end the season.

Glenn, Gillette, Su’a, Fifita mid game...

Not sure why I bothered responding as it’s probably bait.

Big Pete

Referee
Glenn, Gillette, Su’a, Fifita mid game...

Not sure why I bothered responding as it’s probably bait.

Ofahengaue in the opening moments, Payne Haas would have been in the mix as well.

Which isn't to take away from the Dragons pack, they arrived with the right attitude and the Broncos didn't.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Warriors - Last year the Warriors pack played out of their skins and did better than anyone could have imagined. They finished 8th and haven't changed a lot. On one hand, if they can maintain that group mentality, they should be able to achieve similar results. On the other it's that old adage of if you can't move forward than you're most likely going backwards. This is where Bunty Afoa and Isaiah Papalii will have to step up and they'll need support from Chris Satae and Lachlan Burr. Burr was horrible in his first NRL stint at the Gold Coast, so for the Warriors sake, hopefully those seasons in NSW Cup have improved him.

Wests Tigers - They surprised a lot of teams early last year with their hard-nosed approach but as the season wore on they were exposed. Outside of Matterson the pack has hardly improved and they won't have that element of surprise that worked so well for them last year. The worst of it is over for Wests, but it's going to take years before they sort themselves out.

1. Sydney
2. Melbourne
3. Penrith

14. Warriors
15. Canterbury
16. Wests Tigers

The power of Smug compels you!

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
North Queensland - With Taumalolo, they'll always be thereabouts. McGuire is a good get, McLean will surely have better luck with injury so at the very least they won't be one of the worst packs like last year. I spose it just becomes a question about how the older heads like Scott, Bolton and Cooper will perform. We saw flashes of form from Scott last year and I think if Green can use him in a modified role it can work out. In the case of Bolton and Cooper though, I'll be surprised if they're able to get anywhere close to their best. A lot of their fortune rests with Coen Hess. On his day, there isn't a more destructive edge forward, so I hope he's able to get back to that form.

Very well said Pete. My recollection is Bolton started the season as the team's best performing forward (albeit part of that was because the other forwards were stinking it up). But the more the team continued to lose, and then with a legal matter to resolve, Bolts form fell away badly.

Taumalolo statistically was still probably the NRL's best forward but he got nowhere near the heights of 2016 and 2017.

Hessy never handled the expectation to kick on and have a massive year. Plus I think he entered the Cowboys in a winning era, and never had been exposed to such adversity as losing every week. At times he lost his way (physically and mentally).

Matt Scott should not have played as much as he did last year, but it may be a blessing in disguise if he recognises this and changes his role. Much like Cooper and McLean, Scott finished the season well. That leaves fans wondering whether there is a chance they do perform in 2018 (or not).

Ethan Lowe really needs a good year to survive as an NRL player. He has not been the same player since his injury versus Melbourne in the 2016 finals game. His 2017 was not that great until the last couple of games of the year, and his 2018 was even worse.

I personally rate Josh McGuire a lot, but hearing a lot of criticisms from Broncos fans now, I do question whether he is not going to be a good signing, or whether there are just sour grapes from some Broncos fans.

I still think Paul Green has to work out how this pack gels. For example, McLean and Hess defending alongside each other is any fast backs dream come true. Because Hessy is built a bit like a prop, it is not great that he defends alongside a prop.

Big Pete

Referee
I rate McGuire's signing for the Cowboys and see a lot of parrallels with Ben Hannant. In the case of Hannant, the Broncos weren't getting value for money while with McGuire he was being played out of position. At the Cowboys, his role will be simplified and I strongly doubt that Green will have him doing hit-ups on tackle 5.

insert.pause

First Grade
You can't fault McGuire's effort, it's always been his size that lets him down a bit, he gets tackled on his back a lot.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Josh McGuire is this era's Martin Lang.

An average talent with a big heart. But I do question his ability to remain a quality first grader as he gets older and puts more mileage on the clock as he doesn't have any skill or footwork to go with the effort.

He could become ineffective overnight so the 4yr deal is a big risk.

DeeJ

Bench
You can't fault McGuire's effort, it's always been his size that lets him down a bit, he gets tackled on his back a lot.

The strange thing is that in his debut year he was breaking tackles and carrying defense for another 5-10 after the initial tackle. And he would've been smaller back then. He just lacks impact these days. I guess he's fine as a worker middle forward.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
The eels game last year where he had nearly racked up 40 by halftime sums up Hess at the moment. When the chips were down for what was pretty much all season Coen would stay on his fringe and refuse to budge, a halftime stat of 3 hitups for 18 metres wouldn't be a shock as he watched everyone else struggle with the hard yards out of our own half even though he has the strength of 3 men when he feels like using it.

Come the parramatta game even everyone is making metres for fun against a defensive line that was pretty much retreating for 80 minutes and suddenly he couldnt get enough ball and was pushing people out of the way for runs.

I've said it in the past, he is basically Dave Taylor except Coen actually looks like a professional athlete. From what ive read some of his lifts in the gym are close to Taumalolos power but just doesn't show it anywhere near enough, Compare him to a bloke like fensom who is way too small to be a prop yet tackles himself to a standstill in the middle and even though he has the linebreaking ability of a wheelie bin still did the tough stuff in the middle and could only dream of having the size,power and agility of Coen. Whether he has just been following strict orders or just cant be assed most of the time he needs somone to show him just how massively despised giant humans in the past that could leave destruction in their path when they occasionally felt like it but didn't want anything to do witht he play when it was going tough (carl webb, dave taylor then daylight between the rest) and that is not what he wants to be remembered for

Latest posts