What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forward thinking: Dragons after hard-hitting prop Napa

getsmarty

Immortal
Forward thinking: Dragons after hard-hitting prop Napa

By Paul Haigh, Felicity Nethery

Feb. 20, 2015, 10:16 a.m.

St George Illawarra Dragons are chasing Sydney Roosters forward Dylan Napa.

The Red Vs are eager to bolster their forwards after it was confirmed Trent Merrin will be leaving at the end of the 2015 season.
Napa, 22, from the Cook Islands, ends his contract with the Roosters at the same time.
He is a powerful running player, is a big-hitting defensive prop and stands 194 centimetres tall.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/2...dragons-after-hard-hitting-prop-napa/?cs=1633

BennyV

Referee
Really? Creagh, yes, but who else? The only other ginger jumping out is Plodthan Green...

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I'll believe it when it happens. Apparently we have been after Mose, Proctor, Matulino, Kaufausi, Kennedy, FPN and landed zip so far.

Highland Saint

Juniors
Weyman_zpsbrg0s6id.jpg
Weyman_zpsbrg0s6id.jpg.html

Joey_dragons

Juniors
napa to reject dragons offer:

Faith in coach Trent Robinson is expected to ensure Dylan Napa, son of former Auckland player Stan, rejects a rich offer from St George Illawarra to extend his stay at the Roosters by up to three years.
Fairfax Media understands that Napa is close to committing his long-term future at the club after renegotiations stepped up late last week. The prop – who had a taste of representative football when he played for the Australian Prime Minister's XIII side against Papua New Guinea last year – tested the open market with Gold Coast in the mix. But it was St George Illawarra that tried the hardest to lure Napa away from the Roosters, with the 22-year-old seen as a potential replacement for the departing Trent Merrin.
Napa said his belief in Robinson would make it difficult for him to end his three-year top-grade stint at the club.
"Being off-contract hasn't really distracted me at all," Napa said. "I'm very happy with where I am. I'm very comfortable under Trent Robinson as a coach. I 100 per cent trust him. He has been awesome for me."

Read more: http://www.nospam9/nrl/napa-expected-to-reject-dragons-16497/#ixzz3SWtFfG50

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If only Trent Merrin had the same thoughts but unfortunately it shows he has no faith in the coach and where the club is heading hence the move out of the Dragons. If they perform well and he sees heaps of improvement under Mary he will regret it. If not he will say he made the right decision.

He is better of waiting before he signs his next contract but it looks like his Manager is pressuring him to quickly sign and the Saints are in a rush to get backup with the dollars they will save.

love my saints

Juniors
Considering it was said he wasnt happy that "the dragons didnt improve there intial offer" then it makes all these statements about him not having faith in the coach as "bullshit"!!!
But seeing as grouch is the one mentioning it, "bullshit" seems quiet appropriate.
Bag Mary all you want, but at the end of the day Merrin is after the dollars, not blaming him, but its money not the coach thats an issue.
We made a big gamble on Dan Hunt years ago thats still biting us in the ass... there is no way Merrin on the money he is asking can be a "safe long term investment". Atm he hasnt shown he is worth that sort of money, thats a fact, he is not a $800k per year player.
And $800k is alot of money to spend on "he has the potential to be a star", be a star first, force yourself into the australian team, then ask for that sort of money.
If we fork out $800k for Merrin, and in the process lose Nighty cause the kitties all dried out, 99% of supporters would lose there minds, we got more loyal players who contribute more to the team that need to be looked after.
If Merrin can secure $800k elsewhere i say go for it, set urself up trent, it will be another teams problem justifying that sort of pay packet for the return he will provide.
No one should hold a grudge, he can earn $250k a year more, good on him, but no one should blame the club for not letting a player hold it to ransom.
Good player, worth $500k max, if he can get more, all the best, he was offered a record deal for a forward at the club, he was shown he is wanted, HE, not the club, chose to leave.