What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four from Eleven, Griffin is a dead man walking.

mxlegend99

Referee
Browne made 30 tackles in 38 minutes, I think he paid his way. Hiku has never really been given a go at this club. At the risk of getting howled down I'd put him on the wing with Blake inside him, until Mansour is ready. Peachey back to the bench.
51m gained though.... and he has no impact in defence or his runs. He didnt earn his spot.

Hiku either. Our win rate with Hiku is well below 40%. Dropping Peachey fpr him would mot help anything.

Life's Good

Coach
Outsider looking in I think the 'premiership heavyweights' tag is hurting you guys badly. Take it from a Dragons fan that it looks good on paper but does nothing for what happens on the field. In one way the losses will take some pressure away(unless the media start gunning for Gus)and you can get back to stress free footy like you played in 2016. You have plenty of talent in the team to not find a way out(except for Tamou who makes pavlova look tough).

tripster

Juniors
51m gained though.... and he has no impact in defence or his runs. He didnt earn his spot.

Hiku either. Our win rate with Hiku is well below 40%. Dropping Peachey fpr him would mot help anything.

I am not sure if the stats paint an accurate picture for Brown's contribution in today's game - when he was on the field we hardly had any ball. I actually thought he performed better than many of our other forwards.

SweetandSoward

Juniors
James Tamou is having the Jarryd Hayne effect on us.
Look what Hayne did to the Titans.
He sent them crashing.

We need to send an SOS to Soward

betcats

Referee
What a cluster f**k of a season. We are going backwards at alarming rate. While I'd love to just punt the whole team that's not going to happen so goodbye hook. He just hasn't prepared the team at all, we look clueless.

hindy111

Post Whore
Its almost like use have no set plays. Eels lack talent but atleast have structure and set plays.
Guys are just standing still and offloading. It may work against weak teams but the better ones just sit and watch.
No real organizing

forby

Juniors
We were bad yesterday, but still got across the line three times but were unable to ground the ball. There were times when Cronulla were so far offside that they were in the backline before Wallace could throw a pass. Luke Lewis lived in our backline all day. The intercepts down near Cronulla's line showed how far they were offside.
Defensively there aren't too many teams that could have held Cronulla out for four sets like in the second half yesterday. Two tries from kicks, (one very dubious for offside), one from close range that was at best a 50-50 call.
A team like Penrith needs a few things to go their way to get the confidence rolling, and nothing seems to be going their way at the moment. The close calls, bounce of the ball, and injuries seem to be against them.
It should also be noted that 4 of the 5 losses so far have been against the top 4 teams on the ladder. A bit of luck and confidence against some of the 'lesser lights' might be all they need!

Arnold

Juniors
We were bad yesterday, but still got across the line three times but were unable to ground the ball. There were times when Cronulla were so far offside that they were in the backline before Wallace could throw a pass. Luke Lewis lived in our backline all day. The intercepts down near Cronulla's line showed how far they were offside.
Defensively there aren't too many teams that could have held Cronulla out for four sets like in the second half yesterday. Two tries from kicks, (one very dubious for offside), one from close range that was at best a 50-50 call.
A team like Penrith needs a few things to go their way to get the confidence rolling, and nothing seems to be going their way at the moment. The close calls, bounce of the ball, and injuries seem to be against them.
It should also be noted that 4 of the 5 losses so far have been against the top 4 teams on the ladder. A bit of luck and confidence against some of the 'lesser lights' might be all they need!

You won the penalty count, had 4 less error and missed 2 less tackles than Cronulla.

You had 49% of the ball and completed at 74%. Enough to win games.

All that says to me is your teams game plan and execution was poor. You had enough opportunities to score but couldn't.

Cronullas defence was excellent for the last 160 mins it's been too hard to crack.

Saying Cronulla were offside all day is a bit of a stretch to suggest that was the reason you lost - by 26.

I think griffin is hurting you big time. To play tim Browne over CHN is criminal.

Not to mention dumping those 3 last week didn't have the desired effect. If anything made it worse.

And whilst you are comparing who has beaten you, don't forget to look at who you have beaten 2 "lesser lights" I believe.

It will turn, just hang in there but don't go blaming offside for the result. Just sounds silly.

TheFrog

Coach
The Rabbitohs ran straight through our middle. In that regard yesterday was somewhat better. Browne I think had something to do with that with his defensive workrate while he was on.

Hiku is a resource that we have, and aren't using properly. He played lots of wing at Manly. The main aim is getting Blake back to his correct position. Peachey isn't serving the side well with his ad-lib style of play at the present time. It is not what made him successful at centre last year. He needs to go back to the bench.

You could try Edwards instead of Hiku on the wing, but I think Hiku would be the better option at this stage. Get him running like Mansour, he can do that.

That is what I would do, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Saying Cronulla were offside all day is a bit of a stretch to suggest that was the reason you lost - by 26.
There is a problem in this game at the moment, that teams with a good defence benefit by giving away penalties when under seige, in order to get the defence set. It's happened to us three times (ie in three games) now. Noit sure about the Easts game but the other two I doubt very much it influenced the result, only the margin.

The benefit from breaking the rules of a game should never exceed the detriment. This is why the sin bin was introduced, but refs are clearly under instructions not to use it.

Clearly our side's heads dropped when the lead hit 10 points and that must be addressed too. There are certainly both attacking and defensive problems. But its also not fair that the only penalty for repeated offside in the opposition 20 when in front on the scoreboard is that play is stopped and the tackle count reset.

Last edited:
Problem is 2 young halves. Fmd cleary can defend and bombs. Does nothing else but talk of the next thurston? And tmm is also young.
Two rookie halves a recipe for disaster. Where from here?

Hit the f**king panic button. Gould has gone into hiding and shut his Twitter.
The teams got skill and can blow a team away but lacks heart and toughness. So cant grind.

Yep been saying similar for a while now, we missed the opportunity to give Moylan a run at 5/8 last year and avoid two young halves.

Not that our problems end there.

BxTom

Bench
I suspect that Gould is coaching the team from the director's office. That's why Cleary had to go - not doing what Gus wanted (blooding Ivan's son). I note that the story a few weeks ago credited Gus with teaching young Cleary how to kick bombs - hence all the bombs in the games with no variation. I don't think that Griffin is totally free to coach in his own right. Well, that's my suspicion anyway.

Tom.

forby

Juniors
I wasn't saying that the offside cost them game, but rather that it removes any chance of backline play. The Penrith style of play needs some space, and when the defenders are allowed to stand in the backline this is not there.
If you looked at the video of yesterday look at where the referee was standing. When Cronulla had the ball he was 12-15 m back, but only 10-12 m the other way. Even then the Cronulla players were a metre or two in front of him. They seem to move up before the dummy half has touched the ball. This kills any attack other than a forward run.
When this is continually happening they get frustrated and the attack gets bogged down.
No coincidence that the two best exponents were last years grind finalists.

Munted

Bench
What shits me is we have talent to burn.
4 bloody kiwi internationals, 4 former /current nsw reps (mansour included, although not on the field) and 2 other blokes touted as future nsw reps (peachy and cartwright).
That's a lot of bloody talent on a footy field.

Our roster smokes the tigers, knights, titans but we are no better than them on the ladder and other than our performances against knights and tigers, we have been God awful.

TheFrog

Coach
I wasn't saying that the offside cost them game, but rather that it removes any chance of backline play. The Penrith style of play needs some space, and when the defenders are allowed to stand in the backline this is not there.
If you looked at the video of yesterday look at where the referee was standing. When Cronulla had the ball he was 12-15 m back, but only 10-12 m the other way. Even then the Cronulla players were a metre or two in front of him. They seem to move up before the dummy half has touched the ball. This kills any attack other than a forward run.
When this is continually happening they get frustrated and the attack gets bogged down.
No coincidence that the two best exponents were last years grind finalists.
So when is someone from the club going to have the gonads to go and see Archer, armed with the appropriate video evidence.

Otherwise, it won't just be Melbourne and the Sharks doing it.

TheFrog

Coach
I suspect that Gould is coaching the team from the director's office. That's why Cleary had to go - not doing what Gus wanted (blooding Ivan's son). I note that the story a few weeks ago credited Gus with teaching young Cleary how to kick bombs - hence all the bombs in the games with no variation. I don't think that Griffin is totally free to coach in his own right. Well, that's my suspicion anyway.

Tom.
Watch NRL360 this week. This very thing is sure to be top of their agenda.

Latest posts