What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

Silent Knight

First Grade
" That's no moon........... "

Atrapitis.gif

K-Man

Bench
I've recorded the match so will be interested to see Both Boyd and Green's performances.

Anything in particular of note regarding Boyd? Or just standard Boyd classy touches?

The more I dwell on it the more I can't see anything but playing the Clive Churchill winning fullback in his best position. Despite Gidley's status at our club, surely with one of the absolute best in the world you have to put that part of the jigsaw in place and work the rest out from there.

Jono078

Referee
Boyd was outstanding today.

Did the nice grubbers that I always ask for our team to do, and played so well, especially when you consider the conditions.

After that game, I'm definitely excited to see him come here.

RABK

Referee
Boyd grubbered behind the line on the 2nd tackle for Morris and Cooper and although they didn't score he did earn a repeat set for his team. The commentators were critical of him 'not giving his outside men notice' and i just had to laugh. What we would give for that poise and ability to get repeat sets - no matter the tackle.

It was a pinpoint kick and the play was definitely on, it was a classy play. Compare it with Gidley who somehow managed to think a bomb 5 metres out from the canberra line that ended up in row 3 would be a good result for us.

Boyd is magic. He could be our Lockyer. Hope he signs on. I know everyone says it is a done deal but so was Benny at Brisbane according to all and sundry.

Last edited:
Great signing. We're going to have a very classy backline with the addition of Boyd.

I was all for Boyd to centre because we have Gidley at FB but Boyd is probably in the top 3 fullbacks in the game so that's where we should play him.

That makes it tough on where to play Gidley. I really rate De Gois and think he's a better hooker then Gidley - But he could very well be under pressure to perform. If he doesn't perform or cops another serious injury, I would play Gidley at 9

I mostly agree with this except I'd pick Gidley at lock (assuming DeGois is in) but not play him at Lock. I'd give him that roving role and use him at Dummy Half on and off (especially if DeGois is rested) and back at fullback if a back is benched. Possibly no utilities on the starting bench - all forwards. Worse comes to worse Gidley can fill in the halves.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Whats the genuine feeling on where Gidley will play.

6 or 9, Id play him at 9 so Beau can play but Wayne will be in win at all costs mode so 6 seems more likely.

Anyway nice spine whichever way he goes.

Put him in at centre to start to fit all the others in. With our track record he will be in fullback, 5/8, or hooker by week 2! Who cares, we have the best utility there is and you just make room for him in our BEST 13........

Pedge1971

First Grade
Problem is though, Gidley is absolutely awful in the 6. This isn't just a "he might come good and develop playmaking skills under Bennett" situation either. We've seen coach after coach put him in the #6 for almost 10 years now, and he's always awful. It's not just that he doesn't have the playmaking skills, but he also consistently breaks down plays.

I'd say Bennett will go for Gids in the halves, but if he can somehow turn him into a playmaker then he's worth the money Tinkler threw at him on that alone.

Let's see. Refer my last post. When the injuries come (as they have and they will) Bennett knows Gidley will be gold and he has cover everywhere. Who cares where he starts Round 1.......

Personally, I'd start him at centre.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Look guys, a couple of years back we had terrible players all around the paddock. We had guys like Tanner, Carmont etc and we would have loved to have seen a Boyd come to play for us. Alot of people sound like spoiled brats!!! We are very lucky to har such quality players fighting it out for positions. Can't wait!!

At last, some logic in the argument!!

Pedge1971

First Grade
Henry needs to get on the park and start playing some good footy or else Gids will be playing 5/8 next year.

1.Darius Boyd
2.Aku Uate
3.Kurt Gidley (c)
4.Junior Sau
5.James McManus
6.Beau Henry
7.Jarred Mullen
8.Nev Costigan
9.Isaac De Gois
10.Kade Snowden
11.Zeb Taia
12.Chris Houston
13.Ethan Cook

14.Richard Faaso
15.Evarn Tuimavave
16.Kyle O'Donell
17.Zane Tetevano

(based on potential of the juniors named)This side will beat any in the NRL on it's day.

Good team, but I'd have Bloodnut Edwards somewhere there abouts. Happy Days! But also a lot to look forward to this year folks!!!!

Pedge1971

First Grade
Both Boyd and Gidley are fine as FB's and on current form, Boyd shades Gids in performance.

Both will be in the team and I'd reckon that Henry is still well regarded by Bennett.

I feel the critical issue is who is the most capable centre in the club to feed Uate. We have one of, if not the most exciting finisher in the game and he needs quality service, Sau is obviously not the best at this, so he's not in for consideration but perhaps the decision should be who's best able to give Uate quality ball as he is a 25 -30 tries a year winger given the right service.

Can anyone imagine how many tries he would score outside of Mids...............

If you watch Saints this year, Boyd has made their wingers look like stars by chiming into the backline at the right time, creating the extra man and putting them into open space. Does not always need the Centre, just the link from somewhere.

Depends on the style of footy you want to play. Exciting times.......

Pedge1971

First Grade
i reckon wb advised henry to the knights as he knew he would be following soon after!:sarcasm::D
1.boyd
3.sau/likiliki
4.gidley
6.henry
7.mullen
8.snowden
9.degois
10.costigan
13.cook/bird:shock:

we'd ballplay the heck out of every dam team in the comp:cool:

Not sure Bird would be a Bennett kind of guy, but been wrong before. Still like the ranga Edwards.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Boyd is magic. He could be our Lockyer. Hope he signs on. I know everyone says it is a done deal but so was Benny at Brisbane according to all and sundry.

Bullsh!t, Joey came before Locky........

This club was built on some great players. Lockyer is a legend and parallels are similar, so understand your point. But when he gets here, farck his background, he is one of ours......

It is no done deal yet if you are to believe the Telegraph reports today. Boyd himself has said he isn't yet decided. Mail is he is leaning towards the Gold Coast.

Bullsh!t, Joey came before Locky........

This club was built on some great players. Lockyer is a legend and parallels are similar, so understand your point. But when he gets here, farck his background, he is one of ours......
I am talking about his style of play. How Joey came into the equation only you would know.

Latest posts