What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

Shenry4

Juniors
i honest to god really don't care what Boyd does. fantastic if he comes here, onto another target if he doesn't. power to him, whatever he chooses... i doubt that the Knights or Bennett are going to lose too much sleep over it. he doesn't fit into our team as harmoniously as some other targets might, but you obviously wouldn't knock him back and you make the shuffle if he comes.

with Graham now off the market, and the odds of Snowy coming home beginning to lengthen if rumours about his limited earning potential under Bennett are true... what now of our forward pack? i'm going to have to watch the Canberra and Sharks games again... because a little birdy tried to tell me that we dominated their forwards hardcore, and to be honest having only watched the game at the ground against the Sharks, and swilling copious amounts of amber fluids against the Raiders, i couldn't refute without watching (and hence my relative inactivity around here lately). i find it extremely hard to believe, and hard to prove without some extremely odd stats, but am certainly going to investigate further and see whether it is a) accurate and b) sustainable. i get the feeling our definitions of dominate are quite different. i also get the feeling that dominating a severely impotent (and seemingly disinterested) Canberra pack is nothing to get excited about. beating the Sharks in the middle of the field is very impressive, but it's not the way i remember the match at the ground at all, so once again i would have to watch the game again, and i will try to.

lastly... i'd really f**king love to see what an even close to full strength pack of ours is capable of... and then what is it capable of under Wayne Bennett? he will need to weave some very significant magic on a few of our boys to justify their position in the top grade. just another quick last thought, Edwards has to be close to securing a starting spot next to Tui in my mind - at full strength i'm talking about. he has really impressed me and continues to go from strength to strength. Richie did nothing to harm his chances of continuing to start on the weekend, either. in fact, without Zeb around i would say Richie is my favourite forward in our team, which should say a lot about why i like to piss all over Tolar. they are absolutely worlds apart as players... Tolar being the impotent, heartless first grade wannabe - Richie being the revved up hard runner with some ticker. full strength i'd have to have:

8. Tui
9. De Gois
10. Eddy
11. Taia
12. Costigan
13. Houston

Richie and Hilder mortgage of bench spots. Pato skating on thin ice... sick of his on again/off again bullshit. the other position is filled by whoever the f**k.

gah, how did i start talking about forwards again? oh, that's right, we need another good one or 2 before we need Boyd. that and i haven't given Tolar a good whipping in the past 3 minutes or so.

Edwards doesnt have the size to be effective up the middle. He's got great agility and timing, it seems stone might be moulding him into a hard working 13.

He has some nice footwork, starting to believe he might be a revelation by seasons end.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yep, I think it would be a mistake to push Eddie into the front row given just how good he has been playing lock lately. He seems to have slimmed down a bit since last year and looks great running at the edges.

His D is awesome. That hit on Tilse was superb

Bird, House and Eddie would make a great backrow. Push Nev up front and add Snowy and we would have a pack to rival anyone. Cannot wait for nev's return. Front row please.

Rod

Bench
Yeah big fan of Bird, would love to have him here. If we signed Bird, Green and Boyd you'd think that would be a very satisfactory result recruitment-wise. And others have said, it would just be a matter of trusting Wayne from then on, which is pretty easy to do.

It is no done deal yet if you are to believe the Telegraph reports today. Boyd himself has said he isn't yet decided. Mail is he is leaning towards the Gold Coast.

Mail had Bennett as a special @ the bunnies and the bronco's as well.

I swear the papers and websites just make shit up too sell papers and get people talking.

doggone

Juniors
Not keen on Bird. Like what we have lets see what eventuates out of this year! Boyd better buy. Need another prop. No more second rowers! Funny how most of these people wouldn't sign with Newy before, now that Benny is coming and Tinkler are in the mix, the $$$ are shinning in the eyes! Gets on my goat a bit.

chinorocks

Juniors
Not keen on Bird. Like what we have lets see what eventuates out of this year! Boyd better buy. Need another prop. No more second rowers! Funny how most of these people wouldn't sign with Newy before, now that Benny is coming and Tinkler are in the mix, the $$$ are shinning in the eyes! Gets on my goat a bit.

For the record we haven't signed anyone yet. We missed out on Idris, Snowden and Boyd look dicey now, so I don't think the moneys doing as much as everyone thinks it is.

Hooch

Juniors

perverse

Referee
Edwards doesnt have the size to be effective up the middle. He's got great agility and timing, it seems stone might be moulding him into a hard working 13.

He has some nice footwork, starting to believe he might be a revelation by seasons end.
our lock plays in the middle of the field with the props, so i'm not sure what you're talking about. i'm starting to think he can be plenty effective enough... certainly more effective having Eddy take it up the middle than having Kaufusi not take it up the middle.

we've also got that many blokes that can play lock at a high standard, there is no point in grooming Edwards to be there too.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ights-to-save-career/2142385.aspx?storypage=1

Going for cervical disc replacement... if the op is a success he will be back. The success rates are pretty good.

He says he's in no pain now, just can't risk giving it a knock on the field... I'd just retire and avoid the op... he will take the plunge.. 3 month recovery, wouldn't be surprised to see him back at the end of the year.
cheers for that article, i had missed it - although i somehow knew its content through word of mouth. good to see that Zeb is odds on to be back.

perverse

Referee
I don't see Edwards as a prop, just doesn't chew up the metres.
he does it as good, or better than any of our current bunch bar Tui and Richie. according to publically available stats he ran more than any of our forwards on the w/e. he's still only what... a handful of games into his career and he's already forcing a start, albeit at a club with some shoddy forwards. i see a lot of potential for Edwards at prop, but there is no way he has a future in the back row... not at the Knights anyway.

Ethan Cook
Kyle O'Donnell
Matt Hilder
Chris Houston
Cory Paterson
Zeb Taia
Neville Costigan

where do you put him? just because we're in injury crisis mode in our back row at the moment and Eddy is playing Lock, doesn't mean that's where he's going to stay from now on. as i've already said, our Lock plays in the middle anyway... and from what i've seen it's exactly where Eddy has been plying his trade lately. i'm not saying he's a world beater, but he's playing as good or better than any of our starting props at the moment. there's a lot of potential there.

Last edited:

Shenry4

Juniors
So what? It should be a move for his career not because we are short on props lately.

How about Snowden and Nev next year, with Tui and Faas backup. Or whoever Bennett decides to buy or bring from St George.

Eddy would be the smallest prop in the NRL, you seem to be ignoring this point. Tho yes he would be a better prop then Kafusi but so what again? He's better then Ciraldo or Karawana aswell lol. The short term move would stifle him, and he's going so great let him blossom!

And injuries are all about opportunity, if he slowly gets better and more experienced over this year then he'll cement his spot and force shuffling over:

Ethan Cook
Kyle O'Donnell
Matt Hilder
Chris Houston
Cory Paterson
Zeb Taia
Neville Costigan

There are 3 backrow spots aswell you know.

perverse

Referee
im sorry, but are you suggesting that we make our team selections based on the career path of our players, or based on what our team needs to win football matches?

what about the career path of a Lock like Ethan Cook being held back for the sake of keeping a bloke like Edwards at Lock instead, because it's best for Eddys career?

i'm sorry, can't buy into anything you're saying at all. it's absurd... and unless Eddy transforms into the next SBW soon, he is going to be squeezed out of the back row. there's too much talent above him there... if anything it would be a wise career move for him to focus on prop, which flies in the face of anything you're jabbering about. he can be a depth back rower, or he can continue to work hard on his game like he obviously does and make a fist of securing a top 17 spot based around the middle of the field.

Last edited:

Pika

Bench
Ed can play front row.

I think right now with Zeb down, our big minute middle man is in the backrow (House) and because Ed has a 60 minute tank thats where he is being used.

Ed is young, trains the house down and could easily add a few more kilos and maintain his foot work, mobility and fitness. I dont see why he couldnt make his mark at starting prop in years to come to be honest.

Latest posts