What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

Nuffy

Bench
It is no done deal yet if you are to believe the Telegraph reports today. Boyd himself has said he isn't yet decided. Mail is he is leaning towards the Gold Coast.

So there isnt a cap at the Coast anymore.

After Idris, how could they afford Boyd and the rest of the team?

Noname36

First Grade
To be honest, I couldn't care less who we sign now. We have Bennett, and I have faith that he knows what he's doing...

Matt23

Staff member
So there isnt a cap at the Coast anymore.

After Idris, how could they afford Boyd and the rest of the team?
...and there still after Nate Myles too, Nathan Friend really must have been on good coin...:sarcasm:

Nuffy

Bench
...and there still after Nate Myles too, Nathan Friend really must have been on good coin...:sarcasm:

Yes its a nice setup, Friend left to chase money so you can put a line through him, Bird was on peanuts and Rogers came back.

So I'm not sure who they are letting go to sign up approx 900k's worth of players in Idris and Boyd.

Last edited:

88.Knights

Juniors
didn't the titans sign champion aswell or am i just hearin things. will be mighty pissed off if we lose him to the titans, its time we won the signing race for the best players out there.

Yes its a nice setup, Friend left to chase money so you can put a line through him, Bird was on peanuts and Rogers came back.

So I'm not sure who they are letting go to sign up approx 900k's worth of players in Idris and Boyd.

Campbell is retiring, Rogers retired, Bailey is apparently on less money now then he was at the start of the franchise (he just has more incentives), Meyers, White are on the outer, they didn't resign Atkins, Conn or Hilder from the last 2/3 years and didn't sign anyone to cover for them. Prince's contract is also apparently more incentive based then actual coin per season.

They didn't spend their cap last year or the year before and by all reports Bird and/or Laffranchi could also be leaving. So there is definitely money there.

Bicey_18

Bench
It is the Daily Telegraph after all.....

Bennett was a done deal at Brisbane remember???

There have been no direct quotes from Boyd, only "word is" which could be a bloke down Wollongong way saying "I reckon Boyd will go to the Titans" for all we know.

Boyd will follow Bennett

Noa

First Grade
Fullbacks can be devestating but nearly every team has a decent one with a back-up to go with it.

Wouldnt sweat the loss too much.

Perth Knights

Juniors
My guess its Boyd's manager trying to push up the value of Boyd's contract. For mine ... if he doesn't want to sign with the Knights and play under the master coach, let him go to the Titans.

Will be very interesting to see what team the Titans field next year given they will have to shed many players to fit Idris, Douglas, Boyd and others (i.e. Champion) into their squad.

Nuffy

Bench
My guess its Boyd's manager trying to push up the value of Boyd's contract. For mine ... if he doesn't want to sign with the Knights and play under the master coach, let him go to the Titans.

Will be very interesting to see what team the Titans field next year given they will have to shed many players to fit Idris, Douglas, Boyd and others (i.e. Champion) into their squad.

I dont think that will work as Bennett will be signing off on it and he's not going to fall for that trick.

Boyd's grandmother raised him from when he was basically a pup. I cannot begrudge the kid if he does want to be closer to her. Searle for the record pisses me off deluxe. He thinks he is running REAL MADRID.

perverse

Referee
i honest to god really don't care what Boyd does. fantastic if he comes here, onto another target if he doesn't. power to him, whatever he chooses... i doubt that the Knights or Bennett are going to lose too much sleep over it. he doesn't fit into our team as harmoniously as some other targets might, but you obviously wouldn't knock him back and you make the shuffle if he comes.

with Graham now off the market, and the odds of Snowy coming home beginning to lengthen if rumours about his limited earning potential under Bennett are true... what now of our forward pack? i'm going to have to watch the Canberra and Sharks games again... because a little birdy tried to tell me that we dominated their forwards hardcore, and to be honest having only watched the game at the ground against the Sharks, and swilling copious amounts of amber fluids against the Raiders, i couldn't refute without watching (and hence my relative inactivity around here lately). i find it extremely hard to believe, and hard to prove without some extremely odd stats, but am certainly going to investigate further and see whether it is a) accurate and b) sustainable. i get the feeling our definitions of dominate are quite different. i also get the feeling that dominating a severely impotent (and seemingly disinterested) Canberra pack is nothing to get excited about. beating the Sharks in the middle of the field is very impressive, but it's not the way i remember the match at the ground at all, so once again i would have to watch the game again, and i will try to.

lastly... i'd really f**king love to see what an even close to full strength pack of ours is capable of... and then what is it capable of under Wayne Bennett? he will need to weave some very significant magic on a few of our boys to justify their position in the top grade. just another quick last thought, Edwards has to be close to securing a starting spot next to Tui in my mind - at full strength i'm talking about. he has really impressed me and continues to go from strength to strength. Richie did nothing to harm his chances of continuing to start on the weekend, either. in fact, without Zeb around i would say Richie is my favourite forward in our team, which should say a lot about why i like to piss all over Tolar. they are absolutely worlds apart as players... Tolar being the impotent, heartless first grade wannabe - Richie being the revved up hard runner with some ticker. full strength i'd have to have:

8. Tui
9. De Gois
10. Eddy
11. Taia
12. Costigan
13. Houston

Richie and Hilder mortgage of bench spots. Pato skating on thin ice... sick of his on again/off again bullshit. the other position is filled by whoever the f**k.

gah, how did i start talking about forwards again? oh, that's right, we need another good one or 2 before we need Boyd. that and i haven't given Tolar a good whipping in the past 3 minutes or so.

Last edited:
The fact Boyd has painted himself as a mercenary whether deserved or not makes it impossible to gauge just how much he does want to play for a club. If it were any other coach apart from the Great One I would be concerned but he will find another and make them equally as good if not better.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
I still can't figure out where they've found an extra million from in their cap. Friend amd Campbell would cost more than 500k combined. Where the other $500k comes from is beyond me

perverse

Referee
have they spent Rogers money yet? i can't imagine Luke Capewell is swallowing much cap... and that will get you a bit of the way there. also what are Bailey and Laffranchi up to? it wouldn't surprise me if the Titans had a bit of a kitty built up to splurge a little.

Whats Doing

Bench
Bailey will be the titans for the next 2 years and will still be on good coin. I think the titans will lose Tomane, Tonga, Toopi, Laffanchi on top of Friend.

perverse

Referee
Bailey will be the titans for the next 2 years and will still be on good coin. I think the titans will lose Tomane, Tonga, Toopi, Laffanchi on top of Friend.
ah, fair call. still, you wouldn't assume they've spent all the money Rogers was on yet... and Laffranchi would be on pretty decent coin. the rest probably not... Tomane came from Melbourne, so might be on a little bit too. it seemed to take a fair bit of cash to get anyone outta there for a while.

they would have a bit to throw around, and i'm not surprised they're chasing a big name or 2... it will just depend on how many they end up landing as to how sus it all looks i guess.

Hooch

Juniors
That Tomane looked all class before he had a bad run with injury... can't he crack FG now?

If we don't sign Boyd.. probably for the best.. alraedy got a class fullback who isn't much chop anywhere else. Boyds money would've been good for Idris.. yeah hes slow and the rest of it but jeeze he can run through people. I know Uncy Wayne doesn't spend big money on props... maybe Tinkler could build Snowdens Mum a new house? What's the point in having a gazillionare owner if you don't rort the shit out of the cap?

aqua_duck

Coach
Having Tinks will help us not necessarily rort the cap but take advantage of any ways there are around the cap. I'm sure all those avenues are being pursued. Bennett will have a plan A, B, C and D in terms of the player market and if theres one man to have faith in it's uncle Wayne

Latest posts