What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

perverse

Referee
Ed can play front row.

I think right now with Zeb down, our big minute middle man is in the backrow (House) and because Ed has a 60 minute tank thats where he is being used.

Ed is young, trains the house down and could easily add a few more kilos and maintain his foot work, mobility and fitness. I dont see why he couldnt make his mark at starting prop in years to come to be honest.
see, now this makes a lot more sense to me. i don't see what's stopping him in the front row either, Pika... although it seems some people do. he has shown that he is capable of metres, even if his frame isn't as superbeast-like as a Kade Snowden. i look at a bloke such as Aiden Tolman as a sort of peak archetype for the kind of player Eddy could be worked as... Tolman isn't the biggest bloke, he's not a damaging runner by any stretch of the imagination, but he gets through an absurd workload. i'm not sure Eddy could ever be close to an Aiden Tolman, but he's the best example for the type of player i can think of... and i see nothing stopping him playing up front. i think Eddy has a bit more ballplay and footwork in him than Tolman, too... just as a footnote.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
I agree pervy, with a little bit more weight on him he could be superb in the front row but right now he is going gangbusters at lock for us.

Does anyone else think Eddie has dropped some kgs since last season?

Maybe we can get him on the fancy sups and bulk him up when the injury crisis is over?

Shenry4

Juniors
Im arguing against adding him there this year as hes too small!

Of course if he adds on kilos in a year or two he could play there, hes too small NOW was my point.

You never mentioned the add more kilos detail, so i took it as he was ready, don't act like it was the same point as Pikas, you were going on about how atleast it would be better then Kafusi - thats jabbering mate we must both do it.

Changing him to prop at his current wieght would stifle his form/career- that was the point i was making, sorry if the tangent carried me to jabberland.

I dont think its absurd at all.

perverse

Referee
Im arguing against adding him there this year as hes too small!

Of course if he adds on kilos in a year or two he could play there, hes too small NOW was my point.

You never mentioned the add more kilos detail, so i took it as he was ready, don't act like it was the same point as Pikas, you were going on about how atleast it would be better then Kafusi - thats jabbering mate we must both do it.

Changing him to prop at his current wieght would stifle his form/career- that was the point i was making, sorry if the tangent carried me to jabberland.

I dont think its absurd at all.
last page you were saying you think Stone is moulding him into a #13 because he's too small to play in the middle of the field. as i've already pointed out, he's got a similar build to a prop being touted for State of Origin, so his size is hardly an issue. my point has been that Edwards could easily make a good prop, no more or less than that. why does a couple of extra kilos suddenly make that statement jabber? it's completely, 100% correct as far as i'm concerned, and i'll stand by every character i've typed in this thread.

moulding a bloke who has played prop - our weakest position - at least since NYC, and probably earlier, into a position that we have an embarrassment of riches in is, in my opinion, absolutely absurd. extremely absurd. i can't fathom why someone would consider it unless you're a family member of Joels and he rates himself a Lock or something... i just don't get it. i understand that he's going great in the #13, but the #13 in our system plays in the middle of the field anyway. he's not doing anything from 13 that he can't do in the 8 or 10.

in fact... now i'm even more puzzled. changing him to prop at his current weight would stifle his career? wtf? are you serious? just how much of a difference playing in the 13 or 10 is going to make to the way he plays on the field?

and then... on top of it all... and regardless of all of this, we still have heaps of better Locks than Edwards... all different shapes and sizes of Lock, too. you want a ball player? Ethan is going to be ready soon. tackling machine? Hilder's got your back. pack leader? chuck House or Costigan there.

i simply cannot speculate on a reason to see Edwards as a Lock long term. if it happens i will be absolutely cocksmack surprised.

and Spark Plug - i don't give a shit, it's good discussion. if a mod wants to break it out into another thread they are capable.

RABK

Referee
Bennett was in Newcastle today. Boyd is meeting his manager tomorrow. I'd say a formal offer will be made to Boyd by Bennett tomorrow.

Shenry4

Juniors
last page you were saying you think Stone is moulding him into a #13 because he's too small to play in the middle of the field. as i've already pointed out, he's got a similar build to a prop being touted for State of Origin, so his size is hardly an issue. my point has been that Edwards could easily make a good prop, no more or less than that. why does a couple of extra kilos suddenly make that statement jabber? it's completely, 100% correct as far as i'm concerned, and i'll stand by every character i've typed in this thread.

moulding a bloke who has played prop - our weakest position - at least since NYC, and probably earlier, into a position that we have an embarrassment of riches in is, in my opinion, absolutely absurd. extremely absurd. i can't fathom why someone would consider it unless you're a family member of Joels and he rates himself a Lock or something... i just don't get it. i understand that he's going great in the #13, but the #13 in our system plays in the middle of the field anyway. he's not doing anything from 13 that he can't do in the 8 or 10.

in fact... now i'm even more puzzled. changing him to prop at his current weight would stifle his career? wtf? are you serious? just how much of a difference playing in the 13 or 10 is going to make to the way he plays on the field?

and then... on top of it all... and regardless of all of this, we still have heaps of better Locks than Edwards... all different shapes and sizes of Lock, too. you want a ball player? Ethan is going to be ready soon. tackling machine? Hilder's got your back. pack leader? chuck House or Costigan there.

i simply cannot speculate on a reason to see Edwards as a Lock long term. if it happens i will be absolutely cocksmack surprised.

and Spark Plug - i don't give a shit, it's good discussion. if a mod wants to break it out into another thread they are capable.

I chuckled a few times when i sensed you were right

Shenry4

Juniors

I chuckled at a point where i realised you were prob right

Boyd is waiting a fair while and I imagine he is summing up the courage to either tell Wayne he is off to The Gold Coast or else will agree to terms with us. I'd say the announcement will be tomorrow where Boyd is going as Wayne will want to know what cash he has to spend on his 2012 roster ASAP.

Last edited:

Gaba

First Grade
If Boyd goes to the knights he will have probably the same coaching staff, as he did with the dragons.

Like i keep saying the knights are the 2nd dragons team, if Boyd leaves the dragons that what will give the knights the advantage over the titans

At the goldcoast Boyd will have to get used to new staff and the way the team plays.

Johns Magic

Referee
THE Knights will start putting their plan for next season into action after incoming coach Wayne Bennett and new owner Nathan Tinkler met in Newcastle last night.

Bennett travelled to Newcastle after St George Illawarra's morning training session to meet Tinkler, his advisers Ken Edwards and Troy Palmer, current Knights coach Rick Stone and recruitment manager Keith Onslow.

All decisions regarding player recruitment and retention had been on hold since it was announced on April 12 that Bennett, the most successful coach in rugby league history, had accepted a four-year deal to coach the Knights.

Bennett has been liaising by phone with Tinkler Sports Group officials and Stone, but last night was their first opportunity to sit down together and work through salary-cap issues.

It was also the first chance for Bennett to meet Stone, who is weighing up whether to stay with Newcastle as an assistant coach.

There has been rampant speculation linking Newcastle to Cronulla prop Kade Snowden and Dragons fullback Darius Boyd. Snowden was poised to re-sign with the Sharks two months ago, but Tinkler made a personal approach asking the NSW representative to hold off until Tinkler's ownership bid was accepted by members.

Now the question is how the Knights can add Snowden to a roster that already includes a host of front-rowers under contract for next year.

Boyd, who joined the Dragons with Bennett in 2009, has received a lucrative offer from Newcastle, but Knights officials are privately concerned the Queensland and Test star is leaning towards the Gold Coast Titans.

A report suggesting Newcastle would target Titans back-rower Greg Bird has been dismissed by Knights insiders. ''His name has never even been discussed,'' one source told the Herald.

Last night's meeting should allow the Knights to inform their off-contract players and support staff where they stand.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...for-knights-20110428-1dyw8.html#ixzz1KqvC1B30

Nuffy

Bench
Methinks that the Bird talk is originating from the titans, now Boyd is potentially on the radar they are trying to offload bird.

It would work nicely for them.

It would be nice if Boyd can make his decision. Papers give conflicting info as always. Salary cap has far too great an impoteus in the game now. Easy to say now as we r loaded but it needs to go if new tv deal is right. Sick of all the mindless bitching it causes from club to club. Nrl needs full privatisation. Then every club is for itself. With a proper regulatory system it would work. It stopped being the people game after super league.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
If the salary cap was scrapped then we would end up with an NBA/EPL/NFL situation where less than half the comp has a realistic chance of winning the title every year and the rest just make up the numbers.

3 months ago it would have been us in that bottom tier of teams and it wouldnt have even been a consideration to scrap the cap. Funny how opinions change so quickly

If the salary cap was scrapped then we would end up with an NBA/EPL/NFL situation where less than half the comp has a realistic chance of winning the title every year and the rest just make up the numbers.

3 months ago it would have been us in that bottom tier of teams and it wouldnt have even been a consideration to scrap the cap. Funny how opinions change so quickly
Always supported privatisation. Opinion never changed.

Last edited:

Silent Knight

First Grade
It is up to a club to do what is best for itself. If they cannot attract the best players and staff then they have to look into alternative models. Burro's selfishness showed us why League is suffering. It is full of self serving people who do not want to lose their 15 minutes of fame at board level. It is rife through the game. Sure they all think they are doing what is best for the club but have they actually ever tried to attract an owner or financially better the club. EPL clubs are forever looking for owners and it is just a case of how good they are at it really. You need big clubs in competitions to make beating them so much better. Their is nothing wrong with using your financial advantages to beat another team. The quality of football has detriorated in recent years because the player roster turnover numbers are ridiculous. Fans get irrate when a player leaves because the club has to just say bye bye. Never happens in EPL or NFL unless the value of the player leaving benefits the club. They accept trades and sales happen and if not the said player gets on with it because slacking off gets you a bad reputation and the clubs throw you to the wolves. All of sudden the grass is no longer greener. Instead every club in the NRL just lines each other up and accuses them of cap rorting. You live within your means. We did for years and sure we survived but without A Johns we would be Cronulla mark 2. The club will create it's own salary cap anyway and if they go beyond what they can spend realistically then more fool them. They need Gallop to babysit their spending apparently. Truth is the NRL are scared of giving power to the clubs because they know full well privatisation will be pushed hard across the game. Melbourne created and bred all those players involved in the rorting scandal. All their hard work got flushed because of a stupid and backwards system. Yes they cheated the current rules so to speak but that team was a great one and instead it has been ripped apart. Hard not to feel for the players sometimes. I have always seen the salary cap as restriciton of trade. I mean cap or no cap we have lost our top class players anyway in mass numbers for years. If league is a business then how can you be told how much you can spend on players in a free market society? Why are 3rd parties not open negotiations that anyone can attend to without punishment. If a club wants to get a sponsor to pay for a player then they should be able to. This all about creating an artificaially even competition. It is not about club's surviving. If it was they would be allowed to find alternate ways to do so. NRL are control feraks.

Woah dude use paragraphs...PARAGRAPHS.

That wall of text just KO'd me like Joel Edwards would.