What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

Rolla

Juniors
mullen was nsw's best halfback this year until he didn't get picked, now he's hit monstrous form slump n loss of confidence (how would u feel if u were playin like mullo n then not get picked for pearce) and of course injury.

hopefully next year wb will be able to fix his confidence issues.

How many games has he played since he missed out? one and a bit?

Noname36

First Grade
Bennett's not going to punt Mullo. He's got just as good skills as any half in the comp, but his confidence and head space is just completely f**ked. That's Bennett's crack. His ability to help players get over whatever is going on in their heads is amazing. I think it's different with Mullo and Pato. I hate to say it, but I think Pato has brought a lot of this poor mindset (post depression of course - that he couldn't control) on himself. Continuing to affiliate himself with Nasser when the club begging him to stop was the last straw IMO. In doing that he was clearly putting himself above the club that has raised him from a junior and stood by him through everything.

Mullo on the other hand has just been dealt a series of terrible blows confidence wise. He never had a chance to develop properly in first grade. Joey retired just as he was coming through, and all of a sudden the media had him as both Newcastle's and NSW's savior. That year we almost came last (no fault of Mullo's) and in his origin game as a 19-20 year old he couldn't lead that pathetic blues team to victory (like nobody else has been able to in the past 4 years). Then he started to cop it by the same media that unfairly painted him as the new Joey when he was just a baby. No wonder he has no confidence, from the beginning of his career it's been suggested that he's not good enough to take over from Joey. That's why it gives me the shits when so many around here expect him to just "get over it". You can't just snap out of it when you're whole career has been built around blows to your confidence.

Last edited:
Bennett's not going to punt Mullo. He's got just as good skills as any half in the comp, but his confidence and head space is just completely f**ked. That's Bennett's crack. His ability to help players get over whatever is going on in their heads is amazing. I think it's different with Mullo and Pato. I hate to say it, but I think Pato has brought a lot of this poor mindset (post depression of course - that he couldn't control) on himself. Continuing to affiliate himself with Nasser when the club begging him to stop was the last straw IMO. In doing that he was clearly putting himself above the club that has raised him from a junior and stood by him through everything.

Mullo on the other hand has just been dealt a series of terrible blows confidence wise. He never had a chance to develop properly in first grade. Joey retired just as he was coming through, and all of a sudden the media had him as both Newcastle's and NSW's savior. That year we almost came last (no fault of Mullo's) and in his origin game as a 19-20 year old he couldn't lead that pathetic blues team to victory (like nobody else has been able to in the past 4 years). Then he started to cop it by the same media that unfairly painted him as the new Joey when he was just a baby. No wonder he has no confidence, from the beginning of his career it's been suggested that he's not good enough to take over from Joey. That's why it gives me the shits when so many around here expect him to just "get over it". You can't just snap out of it when you're whole career has been built around blows to your confidence.
He was handed a massive job to take over from the greatest player in history. He is however responsible for how he conducts himself mentally on the field. If he has confidence issues he needs to seek the help he requires to overcome those. If not then he is irresponsible to his teammates and fans. If that is what holds him back he will never make it back to where he belongs. He is a great footballer if he has the belief. When he doesn't he is a moper and overplays his hand. What I am saying is if Bennett doesn't see him responding to his coaching the person as opposed to the player he may well be asked to move on gently. Bennett's whole coaching mythos is the man first the footballer second. It is even in his brilliant books. Wayne bennett came here to win a comp or three. Mullen I believe will respond to Bennett's coaching big time but if he continues as he has been he will be struggling to stay on past this contract.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Much of a muchness between Mullo and Pearce. Mullo better kicking game, Pearcey got a better footy brain and passing game (imho).

I think Pearcey's been in better form over a longer period than Mullo has. Mullo seem(ed?)s to be getting back into the swing of things after Origin f**ked him a couple of years ago.

Apey

Staff member
http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=37807

Knights Sign Darius Boyd

newcastleknights.com

9/06/2011 4:28:32 PM

The Coal & Allied Newcastle Knights today confirmed the signing of St George Illawarra fullback Darius Boyd from the 2012 NRL season.
The new agreement with the Knights will once again link the two time premiership winner and Clive Churchill Medallist to play under Coach Wayne Bennett for the next four years.
Hunter Sports Group CEO Troy Palmer is confident the signing of Boyd will give the entire club as well as members and fans a great lift.
"The signing of a current international and premiership winning player clearly highlights the enthusiasm of NRL players wanting to join the club and be part of our exciting future.
"It is very important that we don't get in front of ourselves and continue to concentrate on our current job of a top 8 semi-final position this year.
"The job that Rick Stone and the playing group have been doing each week has given fans the feeling that even better things are to come this year and that they are continuing to lay down a great platform for the future." He concluded.
The signing of Boyd, together with the return of fellow internationals Kade Snowden and Timana Tahu, the recent resigning of Captain Kurt Gidley and Kiwi International Junior Sau, the exciting young talent coming through the Newcastle Knights Junior ranks and the on-going resigning of many of the current squad, ensures a bright future for the Newcastle Knights club.

Burwood

Bench
what a complete waste of money. We didnt need him (http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=384170) and could of got 3 or 4 players at that price and developed them. We got 426 fullbacks now wtf?.

We can still get 3 or 4 players- that's what the Toyota Cup salary cap is for. Why would you want to fill up the top 25 positions in the team with 3 or 4 guys extra that aren't first grade quality in the hope that they develop? Haven't we got enough of them already running around for us?

perverse

Referee
dynamitee.jpg

RABK

Referee
Arguably the biggest and potentially best player signing the clubs ever made.

Frederick

Staff member
Also, considering what a high profile player Boyd is, this announcement is tremendously low key, and completely out of the blue lol.

RABK

Referee
Hopefully we have a couple of surprise signings to follow now the Boyd situation is finally finalised.

Silent Knight

First Grade
We're about to hit the big time baby! Woohoo!

And this almost certainly spells the end for one Shannon McDonnell :D

Latest posts