What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

I thought the reason we were telling players like De Gois, Paterson and Taufua to move on was so we could fit Boyd under the cap. Now what happens if we don't have any of them next year? Could we possibly have f**ked up?

I wouldn't go that far, we'll get some players probably just not of the calibre of Boyd.

That being said I'll be pretty cut if we dont get Boyd his a gun and our backline would easily be twice as potent with him in it.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I wouldn't go that far, we'll get some players probably just not of the calibre of Boyd.

That being said I'll be pretty cut if we dont get Boyd his a gun and our backline would easily be twice as potent with him in it.
It still doesn't make sense that we'd tell De Gois, Pato and to a lesser extent Taufua to go and find a deal elsewhere. Everyone's saying how good a coach Wayne is and I don't disagree with that, but De Gois and Pato especially could have been anything with Wayne guiding them. I guess I'm just a little cautious as to what exactly is going on. I've mentioned it before, and not that I thought it would be a steady stream of class players coming here, but we've only signed two players since the Tinkler takeover. If we miss out on Boyd, which it looks increasingly likely we will, we're still missing an X-Factor that could/would win us a premiership.

*edit* Forgot about Tahu :oops:

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
If we let go of De Gois and miss out on Boyd that could be a monumental f*** up. However given we have to consent to a move given that all concerned are honouring the agreement made prior to the recruitment freeze we have the upper hand there and can probably wait and see what Boyd does first.

EdLondon

Juniors
Could the acquisition of Buderus mean -

1. Gidley
6. Boyd
7. Mullen
9. Henry

Buderus started as a half and moved to hooker. Could be back to mentor him. Just putting it out there.

chinorocks

Juniors
If we let go of De Gois and miss out on Boyd that could be a monumental f*** up. However given we have to consent to a move given that all concerned are honouring the agreement made prior to the recruitment freeze we have the upper hand there and can probably wait and see what Boyd does first.

Don't wanna miss out on Boyd but De Gois is no big loss. He's always injured and has been pretty average in the games he has played recently. I heard the Sharks are offering him 300k plus...if he wants that sort of coin he knows where the door is.

chinorocks

Juniors
Could the acquisition of Buderus mean -

1. Gidley
6. Boyd
7. Mullen
9. Henry

Buderus started as a half and moved to hooker. Could be back to mentor him. Just putting it out there.

No way in hell it means that.

It will be IMO

1. Boyd
6. Gidley
7. Mullen
9. Buderus
14. Hilder
with Henry playing in a park somewhere or for Cronulla. I am yet to see any evidence that Gidley will be playing hooker either.

Bicey_18

Bench
Boyd is coming to Newcastle....

The club would not have released the players to free up money for no reason

perverse

Referee
Boyd is coming to Newcastle....

The club would not have released the players to free up money for no reason
this is my feeling on the subject, too. the cleanout money is going somewhere.

Boyd may well be waiting for the money to be confirmed on the table - Pato may have to get a deal secured elsewhere to make it viable or something?

Serc

First Grade
with Henry playing in a park somewhere or for Cronulla.

If he's not playing first grade (or a certain % of first grade games) for us, he will be playing for another NRL club. Not Cronulla, they have apparently just signed Robson so they have Kelly, Graham and Robson for next year.

Even when there was a media fail in the last few weeks, suggesting that Henry will be let go by us, his manager had a bunch of clubs on the line to him quick smart, just on the slight chance that he *might* be released.

I'm not saying he is the next Andrew Johns, but what I am saying is that he is one of the highest rated juniors in the last 2-3 years.

perverse

Referee
yes, there would still be a great deal of interest in Henry. he would be hot property if he became available. this is as much a result of the lack of quality halves going around as it is Henrys own ability. clubs are willing to punt decent dollars on unproven halves talent.

Henry has been dealt a cruel blow this season with his ankle ligaments going on him. He has had to literally restart the season from scratch and frankly we are lucky we have him. Bennett is no fool. He can see Henry has potential to be something very successful.

chinorocks

Juniors
Henry has been dealt a cruel blow this season with his ankle ligaments going on him. He has had to literally restart the season from scratch and frankly we are lucky we have him. Bennett is no fool. He can see Henry has potential to be something very successful.

Is there a basis for this statement?
Henry left St George while Bennett was coaching there...FACT.

Now that Bennett is coming here, Henrys future could be in jeopardy...POSSIBLE.

Evidence that Bennett has Henry in his plans for next year...FICTION

All fair points, but how exactly was Henry going to hang around for three of four years on spec waiting for Soward or Hornby to get injured for a shot? A TC player of the year is going to itchy trigger fingers career wise. That is a fact that gets discounted completely when people argue Bennett may not rate Henry.

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach

What you mean is:

Henry left... - the correct answer is Fact, however he wasn't an NRL starting half then either in a team lacking in half options

Henry's future... Given there may be Boyd, Gidley, Mullen and Buderus at the club next year, with a raw Roberts and a not-really-a-hooker Hilder as backup it leaves no depth. Signs suggest we'd be more likely to hold on to Henry for next year at least.

Evidence... Absolutely nothing to suggest either he is or he isn't.

Yosh

Coach
I think Roberts might make an alright hooker. It'll be good to watch the Roberts vs Henry battle unfold this year. Hopefully both of them play outta their boots!

Big Tim

First Grade
I was under the impression that Beau left the Saints with the blessing of Wayne as he would have a legitimate chance at a regular NRL gig.

Stanley (or whatever the other young guys name is) can play a wide variety of positions. As a coach I would have a young utility in my top 25 before a young backup half when I have Hornby and Soward as my starters.

perverse

Referee
I was under the impression that Beau left the Saints with the blessing of Wayne as he would have a legitimate chance at a regular NRL gig.

Stanley (or whatever the other young guys name is) can play a wide variety of positions. As a coach I would have a young utility in my top 25 before a young backup half when I have Hornby and Soward as my starters.
yeah, this was my understanding when it happened. the Dragons - with their cap pushed to the limit after signing Gaz, had a choice between keeping Stanley and Henry - as both attracted a lot of interest. they sided with Stanley, we got Henry. i think theyir choice was as good as any, Stanley has shown he is a star of the future. he's also had the advantage of coming on from the bench in the comps dominant force. Henry has had something not far off a baptism of fire. when he was played in favourable conditions, he aquitted himself very well. Mullen was dominant and running the show against lacklustre competition... all he had to do was take opportunities and set some up at his leisure.

i have a lot of belief in Henry... and taking all his circumstance in its context i believe there is a good player in there - we saw glimpses in the first couple of rounds, and since then... well you would say it has been disrupted. having seen what he is capable of when he is comfortable, i would say he could do anything... but he is in a new team, playing against men for the first time. it is going to take time - and we must stick with him for the moment. we may need to drop him back to the Centurions at some stage - but even then, if it were to happen, it must be so he can find his feet again to be given another crack. we didn't sign him for 3 years on a whim. i am desperately hoping that Bennett is aware and accepts and nurtures his talents, and knows he is worth polishing. this season has not gone at all as anticipated (do they ever?) with the takeover, Bennett coming on, etc... with Beaus injury thrown into the mix, it hasn't been ideal. i don't know exactly where we proceed from here, i think some time in the lower grades may be beneficial at some stage... but with our halves situation the way it is, he may be forced to swim in the deep end for a while yet. i believe in his talents, i've seen him dominate and thought wow, this kid is special. at the time i was only thinking f**k... how lucky are the Dragons??? Bennett as coach, a kid like Henry coming through! f**king hell! now, we have Henry, and we have Bennett. my god, it's like we've had a golden horseshoe rammed up our arses!

i'm really hoping we don't offload him - and tbh i really don't think there was any substance in the article that said we were trying to do so. it wouldnt add up - Bennett could not possibly feel that strongly about a rookie, who wouldn't be on massive coin, that he would not honour the conract he's signed to see what he's made of at the very least. surely Henry would have had to shit on his sons chest to deserve such scorn. the rest of the players that have been told to move on by Bennett have made perfect sense. nuffies or overpaid. Henry doesn't add up, even if Wayne doesn't particularly rate him.

so, to conclude - i'm hoping that Henry and Mullen are the future in the halves. i'm skeptical on whether Gidley can be made a premiership half, but if anyone can do it, Bennett can. Shane Perry won a Grand Final in the #7 under Bennett. Bennett only demands one dominant half, and i would say the most likely is Mullen thus far. having said that, Mullen could end up being our Shane Perry with the way he's going. Mullen seems, and has always seemed, mentally fragile more than anything else. i also believe it would be a waste of Henrys talents if he werent to partner Mullen in the halves. i believe that they have the talents and attributes to be an extremely dominant halves pairing... but it will come down to their smarts. Mullen is still yet to prove he can stamp authority on a match consistently. he flukes it every now and then, sometimes strings a few together... but always drops off again. i think we're all hoping Mullen will be another Jamie Soward story. he has it in him, we'll just have to wait and see. i cant help but wonder what could have been if Joeys neck wasnt an issue and Mullen got a good few years next to him.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Great post...all I'd like to add is (in the context of last years signings) that I was almost as excited about getting Henry as you were when we got Snowy. I too genuinely think he could be *that* good, and if everything goes to plan, sometime in the next year or two it could be like Pearce and Carney at the Chooks last year (Carney would be on not very much $$$ at this point, not too dissimilar to the effect that Henry has on our cap)

On another note - it will be interesting to see how the Chooks keep both of them in the coming years.

Latest posts