What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From what I saw Green is overrated but Inu and Hayne were quite good.

PIG

Juniors
Eelementary said:
When I say he'd be a good lock, it's because I am picturing a team like so:

6. Green/Perenara (a running 5/8 with good skills and vision)
7. Smith
9. Riddell and Marsh
13. Mateo

The ball-playing skills in that team are amazing.

What about the fitness levels + Marsh has no ball skills.

It's all about finding the right balance and combinations rather than the best individuals.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
<UPtheEELS> said:
Nope, I didnt see any but from all reports he was just about average.

From all reports Blake Green is an absolute superstar and Marcus has been ordinary all year in PL, you can't believe everything you hear.

Parraletic

Juniors
Congrats to jersey Flegg & Premier League on good seasons. Jarryd Hayne had a great game in Premier League & were looking good for depth again next year. With Tim & Ben Smith having a year of First Grade under there belt we should be up there again in 2006. Let's hope we don't choke again.

Stagger eel

Staff member
ParraDude_Jay said:
From all reports Blake Green is an absolute superstar and Marcus has been ordinary all year in PL, you can't believe everything you hear.

yep!! just like your own statement right there, you can't believe everything you hear.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
In the end, we really dont know how these players will develop!

Green is natural talent, along with his size and further development could be anything....although im afraid he is more of a half then a 5/8th (needs to control the team)....and with T.Smith there...i dont see him getting a shot!

Hayne is star...people say his 17 and still too young to play 1st...but if ur good enough ur old enough...an off season working on his flaws and gym work (put some muscle on) i see no reason why he cant play first next yr. although his got some comp infront of him!

Inu...still a year away from causing headache selections in Firsts....he looked small in flegg....he wouldnt be able to cope with NRL footy...but great talent...both him and hayne remind me of a cross between tahu and peachy!

lucablight

First Grade
Pazza said:
Morris was one of the more creative players in the competition this season and Chad has a very physical aspect to his defence that i feel is becoming very important to this side. Dont see a benefit to dropping either of them.

I thought Morris wasn't creative enough in the finals but shouldn't be dropped.
Robinson on the otherhand is hopeless. He doesn't make many metres for a guy with a "phyiscal" aspect

Y2Eel

First Grade
morris is our best bet at 5/8 in his first full season he has played great

Pazza

First Grade
lucablight said:
I thought Morris wasn't creative enough in the finals but shouldn't be dropped.
Robinson on the otherhand is hopeless. He doesn't make many metres for a guy with a "phyiscal" aspect

The Physical aspect i was talking about was his tackling. We got the guys that can take us forward. But his tackling is good strong and solid. Not something we wanna lose.

IMO the player to play at lock should have a good mix of ball skills and go forward. Chad Robinson is a good player but does not posses the ball skills to come up with the special something to take pressure off the halfs.

Feleti can be the man it just depends on him I guess.

Eelementary

Post Whore
PIG said:
What about the fitness levels + Marsh has no ball skills.

It's all about finding the right balance and combinations rather than the best individuals.

By ball skills, I mean offloading ability, kicking, passing, etc.

Marsh has good running skills, an OK passing game and he does have a kicking game - not brilliant, but it's there.

And what about the fitness issues? I thought Mateo was fit enough to play 80 minutes.

I think that team would go great - you'd have a creative halves combination, and at lock you'd have a skillfull bloke who has played alongside Tim before and they struck up a great partnership.

That's just my opinion, though.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The way I see it, Robinson's defence isn't as great as some say. On too many occassions this year he has resorted to arm-grabbing on our own line, and often he doesn't wrap up the ball - thus allowing offloads.

What's the harm if we replace a solid but non-spectacular player like Robinson with a player like Mateo who is dangerous in attack but also has strong defence?

It's just a concept.

lucablight

First Grade
Eelementary said:
The way I see it, Robinson's defence isn't as great as some say. On too many occassions this year he has resorted to arm-grabbing on our own line, and often he doesn't wrap up the ball - thus allowing offloads.

What's the harm if we replace a solid but non-spectacular player like Robinson with a player like Mateo who is dangerous in attack but also has strong defence?

It's just a concept.

Very true. His goal line defence isn't good.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Eelementary said:
And note to Freddy - Soward, best kicker in the world....:lol:

the one that he kicked out on the full from the kick off, landed in about the 5th row

talk about a barry crocker

good call freddy, you've taken over from gus

Eelementary

Post Whore
lucablight said:
Very true. His goal line defence isn't good.

I also noticed on a number of occassions - Robinson at lock did not provide Tim with enough support on our own line. As a result, opposition players ran at Tim on our line and trampled over him, thus scoring.

Wagon, before his injury, at least provided good cover for Timmy at lock.

But if we're fair dinkum, Mateo and Delaney are just two players who should be seriously considered in the lock position.

Avenger

Immortal
Eelementary said:
I also noticed on a number of occassions - Robinson at lock did not provide Tim with enough support on our own line. As a result, opposition players ran at Tim on our line and trampled over him, thus scoring.

Wagon, before his injury, at least provided good cover for Timmy at lock.

But if we're fair dinkum, Mateo and Delaney are just two players who should be seriously considered in the lock position.

Mateo is back from England. Seen at Eels HQ today.

1eyedeel

Juniors
The thing people need to remember is that while we have Dean Widders in the team, our locks is nothing more than a bloke who comes on for the opening exchanges, goes off for Deano to come on and do his magic and then comes back on for a short stint to give Morro a rest. Dean Widders plays lock for at least two-thirds of the game. That's why Robbo/Wagon fill that role well.

The fact that Widders is your lock has a big impact on the kind of five-eighth you've got. Widders plays that running role, so you really need a play-making pivot to take some pressure of Tim, which is why Morris/Smith/Widders works well. Perenara same style of player.

I think next year is going to be a massive year for Deano. Clubs have started to wake up to how dangerous he is and they also know he will dummy nine times out of ten. He was nowhere near as effective towards the end of the season as he was mid-season. So in the off-season he really needs to add strings to his bow. He's shown that he can kick a bit and throw a good pass and he will need this next year and if he can become our second playmaker, it really does open up the opportunity to have someone like Mateo or even Delaney playing in six and I think Timmy reall would do well with that style of player running of his hip while Deano plays on the other side of the ruck.

I personally see Delaney in 12 taking over once Morro has departed, as an attacking forward running on the fringe of the ruck. I think he'd be lethal in that role.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Green has a very handy kicking game and he needs to put together a very good running game and a step with it with a bit of speed look at the 5/8 going around now..
Barret good running game
Marshal good running game
Lockyer good running and passing game..

Dykes sh*t all round really..

But in the next year he needs to develop into a better runner of the ball, watch jason smith really

THe same can be said to timmy smith he needs to be able to show the ball step and then throw a good inside or outside pass just to mix his game up this season...

yy_cheng

Coach
Deano either decides he will pass the whole game or dummy and run the whole game. He has to mix it up a bit more. There were times in the cowpats game where I thought he could've offloaded but didn't.

He played his best I thought when roving and running around the ruck area where he could pick off lazy markers.

Out wide, his game is less effective coz the opposition knows where he is and will gang up on him.

I still think he should be running off Smith or when a forward bats it up, attracts 3 players and slips one to him.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I watch Blake Green week in week out, he is nowhere near first grade standard. In fact one game this year he was playing that badly that Matt Cameron gave him the hook and blasted him in the sheds and believe me it was deserved. This is only because he seems to have a chip on his shoulder, big headed and arrogant when he is on the field. The best quote I have hear about him was during the grand final when someone noted he "takes the wrong options but looks like a good ball runner"

Y2Eel

First Grade
Daize said:
I watch Blake Green week in week out, he is nowhere near first grade standard. In fact one game this year he was playing that badly that Matt Cameron gave him the hook and blasted him in the sheds and believe me it was deserved. This is only because he seems to have a chip on his shoulder, big headed and arrogant when he is on the field. The best quote I have hear about him was during the grand final when someone noted he "takes the wrong options but looks like a good ball runner"

Maybe some better coaching may help him. He had such a huge wrap on him he must have some skill maybe he just isnt being taught the right way...

Latest posts