What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full NRL round at Suncorp?

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23881495-5006066,00.html

Full NRL round at Suncorp

MANLY chief executive Grant Mayer has sent a detailed proposal to the NRL calling for a full round of rugby league next season to be played at one venue - Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium.

The Daily Telegraph obtained a copy of Mayer's plan which he believes could reap every club a financial windfall of between $75,000 to $100,000. Mayer's plan stemmed from the English Super League, which for two years has moved an entire round to Wales' Millennium Stadium.

The proposal was discussed at yesterday NRL board meeting. The Mayer proposal would include:

PLAYING eight matches at Suncorp Stadium on Friday (2), Saturday (3), Sunday (2) and Monday (1);

IT would be an extra round - the 25th for the season - ensuring each club retains 12 home and 12 away games;

TENDERING out the historic round to other states or other countries in coming years.

Mayer said the plan would generate increased gate revenue, need a naming rights sponsor and attract corporate support, possibly from the Queensland State Government. Big crowds every day would ensure a financial bonanza.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said his organisation was interested in the plan. "If you consider the Titans, Monday night football and the Toyota Cup our code has taken very innovative strategic steps in recent years,'' Gallop said.

"We would need to gauge the interest of potential host stadiums, governments, sponsors, broadcasters, clubs, players and fans.''
Whaddya reckon? Would this be a goer or not?

Personally if it went ahead I'd be bloody keen to fly over for it.

but then u also have teams like bulldogs and manly who have huge followings in brisbane as well. i think it could be great.

aarondoyle

Juniors
I reckon the crowds would suck ar$e, and it would be a failure. But I can be a pessimistic guy sometimes.

Mr Opinionated

Juniors
Great idea!

I am all for anything that can increase revenue and exposure for the game. And I especially love the tendering out of the round to other states and countries in the future. Governments/stadiums/cities would JUMP at the chance to hold this simply because of the increase in tourism from visiting supporters, except maybe Sydney ... but this all based on how big of a success the concept has been in the ESL.

Mr Opinionated

Juniors
I reckon the crowds would suck ar$e, and it would be a failure. But I can be a pessimistic guy sometimes.

Totally disagree.

Unless there was no promotion of the event.

You promote the hell out of it and it should be a financial bonanza

Plus it has been a major success in the ESL.

BrisVegas

Juniors
I'd be all for it, given a few conditions be put in place and some forethought put into scheduling (this is the NRL we're talking about).

Assuming they won't empty the stadium between games played on the same day, you're really only selling 4 tickets: Friday Night Double Header, Saturday Night Triple Header, Sunday Afternoon Double Header, and Monday Night Football.

As a previous post mentioned you would want a QLD team to anchor FRI, SAT & SUN, and another team with a large QLD representation (Storm) to anchor Monday. You would then also spread around the more popular Sydney teams (Dragons, Bulldogs) across the days.

In terms of scheduling, the weekend should signify the "beginning of the end", the stage of the season where the battle for the top 8 comes into focus and the crowds and media attention surge in preparation of the finals - around round 19 or 20.

To ensure that the weekend doesn't cannibalise the Broncos/Titans crowds, no game should be played in SE-QLD in the fortnight leading up to the weekend, and no NRL games should be scheduled in the region for the following round. Broncos and Titans season ticket holder should be given first crack at ticket over a 24hr early booking period.

If it is a success there is no reason event can't be stage in WA or Wellington is the future, the tourism prospects could be huge. The event would likely be named after a sponser is found, eg "Super Duper Bundy Rum Rumble at Suncorp Weekend Extraviganser".

I'm a reserved 'yes', but would like to hear more details.

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
Too much i think. Maybe if it was possible to buy one super pass that allowed people to watch all games, but even then I don't know.

mave

Coach
What would the condition of the field be like come Sunday arvo?

Good idea all up though. I would go up for it, just for the novelty factor alone.

miccle

Bench
I'm very much the same, Brisvegas.

If they were going to do this, unless they were wanting to schedule some games in the morning, you'd have to do a double header, followed by a triple header, then a double header, then Monday night football.

For clubs to really earn a financial windfall, that'd easily make the triple header tickets VERY, VERY expensive.

A better way to work it, IMO, would be to have four double headers in a row - Friday (6:15pm and 8:30pm games), Saturday (5:30pm and 7:45pm), Sunday (2:30pm and 5:00pm) and Monday (6:15pm and 8:30pm).

Would be a huge windfall also for tourism in the area, so you could be sure that the Qld Govt and all of the local business would put a shedload of other things on throughout the CBD.

Still really not sure how tix etc. would go. IMO we'd have to work it so that no two Qld clubs could play on the same day, and the other day would probably have to feature both the Bulldogs and Dragons to ensure it goes well.

But, f**k it, why not? A four-day festival of league - possibly with some special packages for those getting tickets to all four days. It'd be the NRL's version of Woodstock.

Ergh, my liver hurts just thinking about it :lol:

Scorpio30

Bench
Could you imagine the Queensland drunks!

I guess it could be like the Wellington 7's...but its just too long.

Azkatro

First Grade
You know what would make this perfect? If you could find a window in Melbourne and take it there, to the Telstra Dome or better yet, the MCG.

Sir Biffo

Bench
If we were going to do it - do the first one in Brisbane. You'll get 40k to whoever the Broncos play, probably 35k for whoever the Cowboys/Titans play. Then you'll get 20k at least to all the other games - how good would it be for Brisbane based Souths supporters to be able to see them play the Roosters?

If it's a success (and it will be) play the next one in Melbourne once it has a reputation for being a good festival of rugby leage - which will get people travelling.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Just a rip off of Millenium Magic...

If it were to go to anywhere, you'd want to see it in a developing rugby league city like Melbourne. Where you would gurantee more visitor nights in the capital then you probably would with Brisbane.

Origin 3 in Melbourne was a huge success due to the event based tourism it brought to the capital, along with the exposure of the game in local media, getting it on prime time now in melbourne, and the creation of a new stadium for the storm.

I was one of the many who flew to melbourne for the game, and stayed an extra 5 nights. The city was awash with visitors, and I could see the victorian government jumping at such an opportunity.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Bring it on!!!

:lol: the field would be farked by monday!!!

The U20's could play at:
1. Kougari, Dolphin etc to make a massive festival in the city
2. throughout small Sydney grounds to give the Sydney-is-the-centre-of-the-universe people a bit of a fix
3. OR (my favourite) they could be taken to the bush!! (Toowoomba, Tamworth, Wagga etc)