What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full NRL round at Suncorp?

MuleEel

Juniors
Terrific idea. I am already planning my long weekend.
I would definately take something similar to Melbourne.
They should bounce this around for next season.
Maybe they could auction the idea to a host city. The Victorian government would wet themselves over it. Think, all the Rugby League community in the one city, functions, events, the footy show.

this would be such a great idea.

canterbury, st george, parramatta and manly all have huge followings here. i even remember a huge sharkies chant once around 2004 at suncorp.

have the 2 least attractive teams play against each other the same night as the broncos game.

itd pull in 40k+ to each night, itd be awesome.

mark123

Juniors
What an excellent excuse to have a boys weekend away.

Take a half day Friday, then get on it for a few days whilst watching match after match.

I probably would fly home on Sunday and miss MNF.

Bring it on. :thumb

yes good for a weekend away, like ziggy says,

but otherwise its a terrible idea for mine just on having all game at one venue.

it could be a great idea if someone wants to pay 20 million like they did with origin?

I could imagine that the cumulative tv ratings would be greater than origin?

Last edited:

salivor

First Grade
I love the idea. If you sell out all 4 days then that's 210000 fans through the gate, I'd assume that would be a record amount of fans through the gate in a single round in the leagues history. When you factor in due to the double/tripple headers the tickets will be selling for double or tripple their normal prices, the increased ratings, naming rights and increased sponsorship and the amount of money that food and beverage sales will bring in throughout the 4 days this could be huge financially for the clubs and the game.

If the playing surface could withstand it you could even play the Toyota Cup matches on the 4 mornings, put on some entertainment in the interval before the NRL matches and turn it into 4 true all day events and therefore bump up the ticket prices even further.

I also think playing it in the last round wouldn't be a bad idea with the drama of finals places being decided and the event could be closed with the minor premiers being crowned. The NRL really needs to start thinking big.

8Ball

First Grade
Superb idea. Promote it as an event, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were sellouts for quite a few matches.

Maybe have a similar thing at the SFS on round 24 or something and promote the hell out of it. Might generate a bit more of an interest in people to attend games here in Sydney.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Not a bad idea, no doubt it will sell out easy.

I think the Super League did it to promote the game in Wales, and they got a decent crowd of over 30,000.

The thing is TV rights, Ch 9 has 2 on Friday night and 1 Sunday. What would happen with the 2 played on Sunday? 1 Ch9 and the other Fox.

salivor

First Grade
2nd or 3rd year > Melbourne IMO.

You've got to build it up first. Build it up for a few years at Suncorp and if it becomes a crowd, corporate and ratings success then put it up for sale and let cities bid for it or use it strategically to take it to centres like Melbourne where we're trying to grow the game.

Loudstrat

Coach
People for get that the Cardiff idea works because of all the ESL clubs fans travelling to Cardiff to make it work. It's not as far as Syd-Bris.

mark123

Juniors
I love the idea. If you sell out all 4 days then that's 210000 fans through the gate, I'd assume that would be a record amount of fans through the gate in a single round in the leagues history. When you factor in due to the double/tripple headers the tickets will be selling for double or tripple their normal prices, the increased ratings, naming rights and increased sponsorship and the amount of money that food and beverage sales will bring in throughout the 4 days this could be huge financially for the clubs and the game.

If the playing surface could withstand it you could even play the Toyota Cup matches on the 4 mornings, put on some entertainment in the interval before the NRL matches and turn it into 4 true all day events and therefore bump up the ticket prices even further.

I also think playing it in the last round wouldn't be a bad idea with the drama of finals places being decided and the event could be closed with the minor premiers being crowned. The NRL really needs to start thinking big.

they said the same thing about double headers, 2 games, double crowd or full stadium, but alas, no dice.

this thing won't sell out all the days, no way.

prove me wrong though

_Johnsy

Referee
I think it is a great idea. Heaven forbid Marky, a self confessed league fan, would be negative about a possible idea that could be great for the game.

And you know this wont sell out because............. you have conducted extensive market research into what percentage of the SE-QLD population would go to this game, along with interstate visitors ?

No, just what I thought, lets all take Marks opinion as gospel.

mark123

Juniors
I think it is a great idea. Heaven forbid Marky, a self confessed league fan, would be negative about a possible idea that could be great for the game.

And you know this wont sell out because............. you have conducted extensive market research into what percentage of the SE-QLD population would go to this game, along with interstate visitors ?

No, just what I thought, lets all take Marks opinion as gospel.

just a hunch.....8 times the games doesnt mean 8 times the greatness

the guy it came from just copied what they are doing overseas, and even that is failing....30k each day over two days, with many people buying 2 days tickets, so its not like 60k separate people went.

its a lame idea, and in brisbane!! come on, we love league, but we won't go watch 2 sydney teams, not to the level of crowd they want....plus who from sydney is going to come up? you dont even go to games down there....last friday 9k....huh! pathetic!

dont want to curb your enthusiasm....but this is a great weekend away, but a terrible idea from the get-go....put your effort elsewhere.

it will flop.

look at salivor, 210,000 fans through the gate...you are seeing numbers, but there is no reality...you won't get 210,000 separate tickets sold in brisbane, plus by the time you divide it by 8, its not that great a number of dollars to chase.

this is a badly thought out idea....in britain, they have 50 million, we have 10 or so from league areas

the blasted thing is a news ltd beat up, designed to get people talking about it....who cares if its real, if it came from manly, whatever the agenda behind it, it won't help league one little bit....

why deny nrl across australia? why give the afl a free weekend in sydney or union? wtf do I need to say to get it across to you that silly short-term thinking is not going to work or save league....they need to invest in a long term strategy.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
Mark123 you've come up with some brilliant strategy (advertising) in another thread can you just keep your comments in that. Us inferior minds are having a chat about the benifits of this to our game.

Thanks

salivor

First Grade
they said the same thing about double headers, 2 games, double crowd or full stadium, but alas, no dice.

this thing won't sell out all the days, no way.

prove me wrong though

2 problems with that. A) Double headers have only been tried at that dump known as ANZ Stadium which once the novelty of it's opening wore off double headers there were never going to be successful and B) Double headers have only been tried in apathetic Sydney.

Just last year Brisbane was able to achieve 2 near sell-outs over just the one weekend for just 2 stand alone matches. Turn those into double headers, give it event status and anchor at least 3 of the nights with blockbusters involving the 3 Queensland sides and there's nothing to suggest that sell outs aren't achievable.

Also you say that when you divide it by 8 the crowds become insignifcant. Well divide 210000 by 8 and you get an average crowd for each match of 265250, correct me if I'm wrong but no NSWRL/ARL/NRL competition round has ever averaged this. Throw in the corporate dollars and state government support such an event could potentially generate and try and name me any idea that could potentially generate more money for the code in one single round.

For someone who likes to think big you're proving yourself to be very small minded on this issue. What's the risk here? The NRL only averages around 16,000 so we'd only need to bring 130,000 through the gate to at least meet this if it flops and with 3 games involving Queensland sides there is no chance you'll draw below that over 4 days and 8 matches. The potential gains on the other hand for virtually no risk are huge. The NRL would have rocks in their head to not give this concept a go in the near future.

LeagueNut

First Grade
That's a bloody good idea, but after thinking about it for a while I reckon the clubs wouldn't be that keen to give up a potentially high-drawing home game at that stage of the season.

roughyedspud

Coach
why not split the round in half, host 4 games @ suncorp & 4 games @ telstra dome?

forget sydney because they have the grand final

pcpp

Juniors
I really like the idea.

I'd like to see it go from Brisbane, Melbourne and then Perth (before the new NRL team) or Newcastle (when they get their 40k stadium).

I think it would be pointless to have it in Sydney, since Sydney sometimes gets 6 (maybe 7) games a week under current scheduling?

I'd prefer it to be in 3 days though (2 Friday, 3 Saturday & Sunday) so one QLD team can play on each day.

Latest posts