What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fullback of the decade?

Fullback of the decade?

• Billy Slater

Votes: 34 29.3%
  • Anthony Minichiello

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters

mongoose

Coach
Again, have NSW selectors ever been good at their job? FFS they've used Kurt Gidley and MARK HUGHES at Fullback!

Patten has been very consistent and is a tremendous club player but he has never been the best fullback for any season. You are kidding yourself if you think the selectors were stupid to pick Minichiello over Patten. Hodgson was selected off the back of a GF win and Stewart is just a much more dangerous player than Patten.

You have a point with Gidley and Hughes though..

Bulldog Force

Referee
Patten has been very consistent and is a tremendous club player but he has never been the best fullback for any season. You are kidding yourself if you think the selectors were stupid to pick Minichiello over Patten. Hodgson was selected off the back of a GF win and Stewart is just a much more dangerous player than Patten.

You have a point with Gidley and Hughes though..
I never said over Mini. Hodgson came off after a loss. Yes Brett Stewart is better nowadays - speed and try scoring ability and what have you.

put it this way...

would Slater have ever played for queensland (besides on the wing) if Lockyer never moved to 5/8?

watatank

Coach
Again, have NSW selectors ever been good at their job? FFS they've used Kurt Gidley and MARK HUGHES at Fullback!

So? We're talking about the best players here. No one is claiming that Gidley and Hughes are the best or comparing Patten to them. My point is all the best players have played and excelled at the highest level which Patten really has never done. oes

Stewart Mini and Inglis are/were at their peak all better fullbacks than Slater. Hunt debatable.

I would throw hodges in there too, every gae I have seen him in the #1 he has played well, better fullback than hunt but played centres because he was more versitile. Really hope they put him back there next year.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
I'd say Slater...he has f**ked up in the past though such as in the World cup but overall he's been a freak...those runs he does are crazy. Minichiello 2000-05 was pretty good to but now due to age and injury he may never return to the fullest of his great form. Patten has been good at FB also this decade, same could be said about Gidley, cutie, (he is a cutie merkin now), Wesser at times, Meritt, etc

mxlegend99

Referee
I'd say Slater...he has f**ked up in the past though such as in the World cup but overall he's been a freak...those runs he does are crazy. Minichiello 2000-05 was pretty good to but now due to age and injury he may never return to the fullest of his great form. Patten has been good at FB also this decade, same could be said about Gidley, cutie, (he is a cutie merkin now), Wesser at times, Meritt, etc
He was absolutely amazing in 2003 and 2004. Easily the best fullback the Panthers have ever had... probably for years to come aswell.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought Wesser was awesome in 03 and 06.

Also Hunt is a far better fullback than Hodges.

Lambretta

First Grade
Someone mentioned that Slater was a centre and moved to fullback. When? I thought I saw Slaters debut season in 2003 and he was the fullback for the Storm then. He played wing for QLD - but I cant remember him being a centre for the Storm.

Slater gets my vote for fullback of the decade, because he's been the best at the one position over the longest period.

Mini has been special - but only for 3 seasons
Patten is Mr Consistant and is a contender
Lockyer made the move to the halves too early in the decade to be a "fullback of the decade" but when he was there he was mnd blowing

So many good players in that position.

Jono078

Referee
I voted Minichiello.

Got the vote because he was a big game player. He delivered in big matches and made big plays.

Especially for NSW, was always one of the best on field when he played.

watatank

Coach
Someone mentioned that Slater was a centre and moved to fullback. When? I thought I saw Slaters debut season in 2003 and he was the fullback for the Storm then. He played wing for QLD - but I cant remember him being a centre for the Storm.

When he came into first grade Robbie Ross was fullback so he played centre. If memory serves me correctly Ross got injured inside the first six weeks or so, Slater moved to fullback and hasn't played anywhere else since.

LRC

Im huge mini fan and a rooster as well.
But minis passing game was at best average. Always on the edge of my seat when he had support he had to pass to.
Great kick return and hole runner (although can mis-time his run)

Put his body on the line defensively.

If Hodgson had another few kilos he would have bene the best.

Lockyer gets my vote,...

I reckon Inlgis is the best fullback... Ide have him there in a heart beat.

Johns Magic

Referee
Which Origin series was it when Johns and Minichiello first combined for the Blues?

They were lethal as a halfback-fullback combination.

Latest posts