What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fulton says - "you are a coward brohman"

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
From El's link:

Courier Mail said:
FORMER NSW enforcer Les Boyd has lifted the lid on his infamous clash with Darryl Brohman, making the staggering claim Australian selectors instructed him to bash the Maroons to keep them out of the Test team.

Speaking exclusively with The Sunday Mail, Boyd ended a 24-year secret by revealing NSW selectors on the national panel gave him their blessing to "do what it takes" to ensure the Blues dominated the Australian side.

The private exchange occurred just moments before Boyd ran out for the 1983 series opener, which ended in controversy when the Blues hardman smashed Maroons prop Brohman's jaw with a raised elbow.

Boyd copped a 12-month ban for the act – but until now has never offered a full explanation for his behaviour.

The former Test back-rower claims he was given permission to commit acts of foul play by Test selectors Ernie Hammerton, Les "Chicka" Cowie and Peter McLean, all of whom have since passed away.

The fourth Test selector and only Queenslander on the national panel, Ipswich-based Dud Beattie, was allegedly left out of the pre-match address.

"They (Test selectors) were involved, very much so. Before the game the Test selectors pulled me aside and said: 'Do what it takes, we don't care if you kill someone, we just don't want these f****** Queenslanders in our team," Boyd revealed.

"My teammates who played in that game heard them say it to me.

"At that time there weren't many Queenslanders in the team and State of Origin was starting to gain momentum. The selectors were driven to get as many NSW players as they could into the Australian squad.

"When the (Brohman) incident happened, it was amazing how they went running and hiding.

"Not one of them supported me at all. To be honest, I didn't expect them to come out. The only selector who ever said anything to me after it was 'Dolly' McLean.

"He said, 'Thank Christ you never said anything about what we said'. The others never once raised it again."

The revelation is eerily similar to that made by former NSW enforcer Mark Geyer, who claims Test selectors gave him identical instructions before the second game of the 1991 series, when he waged a one-man war against Wally Lewis's Queenslanders.

Geyer was subsequently suspended as well and later claimed he was abandoned by the selectors after the game and left to fend for himself. He never played for NSW again.

Boyd says he was compelled to speak out after being reunited with Brohman at a function in Brisbane last Wednesday, just hours before Origin III.

As a result of the incident, Brohman successfully sued Boyd, who settled out of court for an estimated $35,000.

Despite the bitter feud, Boyd insists he did not deliberately target Brohman, who was considered a certainty for Test selection.

"I still maintain my elbow on Brohman was not deliberate," he said. "If I wanted to do it on purpose, I would have gone for Gene Miles or Wally Lewis, I wouldn't have nailed poor Darryl Brohman.

"He was a better asset on the field than off it. That was one of the best indicators it was an accident, that it happened to him.

"I've never really spoken about it before but the NSW players knew what I'd been told. I guess I'm telling the truth now because I ran into Darryl the other day."

Asked to describe their meeting last week, Boyd said: "I think he was sh****** himself. No doubt he's embarrassed by what happened. I admit what I did was not right but I apologised to the bloke during the game and again after the game, but he took it to the courts and sued me. That's life."

Brohman said: "Things were very frosty the other day. I've gone out of my way over the years to try and have a chat to him and be as amicable as I can, but he's not interested. Apparently Les was given carte blanche to do what he wanted. So be it. It was a long time ago and I've moved on. He means nothing in my life."

League historian David Middleton said Boyd's actions did little to sway votes at the selection table.

"Eight Queenslanders ended up making the Test team against the Kiwis four days after that Origin game," Middleton said.

Timmah

Staff member
Jatz Crackers said:
Emphasis being made on the underlined part of Immortals comment is the point. To illustrate the point it should read "to rubbish his family name"

Brohman had every right to sue. But there's no need to go to the papers to rubbish his Boyds name. You got your settlement, Boyd got suspended, it's done.

Are you blind? BOYD bought the issue back up, rubbishing the big mahn in the paper the week before. See above. :crazy:

Bluebag

Juniors
Bozo who is a parasite of the game giving nothing and taking all he can get said nothing of the accidental eye gouge by Boyd nor did he call his old mate Mal reilly a coward who after being a master of the liverpool kiss sued a player in the UK after receiving his own treatment and having his jaw broken..

Selective memory, Bozo.

Brohman is and was right intaking action and had it happened to Bozo he would have had a writ served before the game was over.

Dodger said:
Are you blind? BOYD bought the issue back up, rubbishing the big mahn in the paper the week before. See above. :crazy:

No but you seem to be. I am not commenting on who brought the issue up again or who brought it up first. I am also not siding with one or other or apportioning blame on the original incident. The point im making (ad nauseam) is ONLY that Boyds family should never have been mentioned in the article. It should be kept between to two in question and it was a mistake for Brohman to do so.

Capiche ?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Between the two?

What about the guys who are dead, who gets to speak for them now that the scumbag has come out and blamed them for his disgraceful act.

Timmah

Staff member
:|

That's such a very small thing to be having a go at in the context of the argument.

I take exception to any family members being mentioned but the intent of the remark in question was to make Boyd feel shame, not his family.

Bob Fulton was an unbelievable player (as Cronulla will testify from the 1973 GF) but he has become nothing more than a Ray Hadley stooge like his partner one S.Roach.The sooner the 2GB poor excuse for league callers are wiped from the face of the earth the better RL will be.

Mr Angry said:
Between the two?

What about the guys who are dead, who gets to speak for them now that the scumbag has come out and blamed them for his disgraceful act.

Yes and what did i say "It should be kept between to two in question"

Dodger said:
:|

That's such a very small thing to be having a go at in the context of the argument.

I take exception to any family members being mentioned but the intent of the remark in question was to make Boyd feel shame, not his family.

I dont necessarily disagree with you on it "being a small thing" from a distance. If it was your family or mine, I would expect ours would be a much higher level of disatisfaction. Putting it mildly.

I also think that whatever contextual definition is applied to the intent to shame Les himself, I think it automatically involves his family by default. They are mentioned and you would expect them to take offence at the suggestion their family members are embarassed by him. Indeed that is exactly why his wife made the step to involve herself. I have no doubt she would otherwise not have made the call to the radio station.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I try not to listen to the garbage peddled out of 2gb, but I am astonished listening to that on-air exchange.

Fancy bringing that up on a live broadcast? Even if he believes the crap that he was peddling, why do it in that forum? I wonder if he would say the same if someone had put their elbow into his sh*t-can kid when he played. I bet he would be shouting from the mountain tops.

Act like an Immortal, not like the Buffoon that you have become.

the elderly gent behind us in bay 14 mentioned how fulton sued a former player who belted him up outside some club in 80's

Highlander

Juniors
As a father with a 5 year old son who cant wait to play footy next year im glad the big maan took a stand to wipe this stuff out of the game. if there were players like les boyd around today there is no way in hell id let him play footy. and the old timers can go to hell its 2007. If it was one of there kids or grandkids im sure it would a different story.

Simo

First Grade
Can someone explain the coward part though?

I dont get how sueing him is cowardly.

Timmah

Staff member
It's Bob's old-timer mind at work there. He is calling him a coward for sorting it out without fists I'd imagine.

Azkatro

First Grade
Looks like the biggest issue making all this flare up is that Les Boyd seems to view himself as a victim of what he did and what's more, doesn't particularly show any remorse either. Daryl Brohman has his dignity, and if Boyd was more of a man he would be the first to admit and accept that what he did was disgraceful, and show some bloody regret.

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
From listening to Ray's show this morning, I think the person he's pissed off with the most is Andrew Moore for not stopping it and letting the argument play out on air.

Latest posts