What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The Great Dane

First Grade
The nsw government has already delivered one stadium, and soon will deliver another. I think the Penrith stadium is guaranteed as well
I see that some people have short memories...

The only one that was delivered as promised in the original deal is Parra. If the NRL's threats weren't empty they would have taken the GF away from Sydney as soon as funds were redirected away from ANZ to the SFS.

That didn't happen, and since then the threat was made again and the NSW gov again redirected funds away from ANZ to suburban grounds.

The outcomes the game has got as a result of the NSW gov channelling Darth Vader haven't been in the sport's interest, and it's not good for the NRL's position in future negotiations that they have built a reputation of making empty threats and being pushovers
tell me again about what’s happening to the stadium in Canberra ? Oh yeh the government is still trying to build a new ground for the afl
And whose fault is that?

When the opportunity was there in the early 2010s to get some real movement on the new stadium the NRL utterly refused to come to the table in any meaningful manner. So the opportunity passed and now we'll be lucky if concrete plans for a new stadium are in place before 2035.

But this is all totally irrelevant from the discussion at hand.

If the NRL's threats to take the GF away from Sydney were serious then they would have done it already.
done it already ?
2 of the last 3 GFs have been covid affected , 2020 couldn't be taken anywhere else & 2021's had to be moved. So I'm not sure the threat has even been tested yet , so how about you keep your " the NRL can't do anything right " moaning tripe you carry on with with in pretty much every thread you post in ..
on hold eh ?

Wb1234

Referee
I see that some people have short memories...

The only one that was delivered as promised in the original deal is Parra. If the NRL's threats weren't empty they would have taken the GF away from Sydney as soon as funds were redirected away from ANZ to the SFS.

That didn't happen, and since then the threat was made again and the NSW gov again redirected funds away from ANZ to suburban grounds.

The outcomes the game has got as a result of the NSW gov channelling Darth Vader haven't been in the sport's interest, and it's not good for the NRL's position in future negotiations that they have built a reputation of making empty threats and being pushovers

And whose fault is that?

When the opportunity was there in the early 2010s to get some real movement on the new stadium the NRL utterly refused to come to the table in any meaningful manner. So the opportunity passed and now we'll be lucky if concrete plans for a new stadium are in place before 2035.

But this is all totally irrelevant from the discussion at hand.
Blame Greenberg

our current glorious leader is doing the impossible.

Jamberoo

Juniors
No, if you're going to do it, do it properly.

Rotate it yearly to the highest bidder that meets a set of minimum standards. The only rule aside from that should be that it can't be held in the same city two years in a row.

None of this BS where some cities get the privilege of being handed it on a rotation while others have to pay through the noise in a bidding process, all that does is alienates people whom should be partners.
If were to be the case then Victoria would probably outbid everyone and it would be at the MCG every second year. Queensland might not get a look in.

The Great Dane

First Grade
done it already ?
2 of the last 3 GFs have been covid affected , 2020 couldn't be taken anywhere else & 2021's had to be moved. So I'm not sure the threat has even been tested yet , so how about you keep your " the NRL can't do anything right " moaning tripe you carry on with with in pretty much every thread you post in ..
on hold eh ?
That has to be the most dishonest post ever posted on this forum lol.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
If were to be the case then Victoria would probably outbid everyone and it would be at the MCG every second year. Queensland might not get a look in.
I don't see it as an issue if Victoria wants to spend the most on it and push it's value the most. But for sake of argument lets say we agree it's a problem, no biggie just change the rule to no city can host it 2 years out of three.

I'm not even sure Victoria would currently meet reasonable minimum standards anyway. They don't have a big enough rectangular stadium as Smug says. Realistically only Sydney, Brisbane, and Auckland would have a stadium that meets a sensible set of minimum standards initially.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Blame Greenberg

our current glorious leader is doing the impossible.
Old mate was still running the Dogs at that point, so how exactly would something that happened in the early 2010s be Greenberg's fault?

It's almost as if you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Wb1234

Referee
Old mate was still running the Dogs at that point, so how exactly would something that happened in the early 2010s be Greenberg's fault?

It's almost as if you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.
Well if I really didn’t have a clue I would be in your league

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we end up with Commbank, new SFS, new penrith, (done or confirmed) plus redeveloped brookvale, finished WIN and new SW stadium for Dogs and Tigers then that's a good win for the NRL clubs of NSW. Much better outcome than just Commbank and a new Accor.
Ideally we'd also see Shark park get 2 new stands and Newcastle get its ends but that might be a bit much $ wise.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't see it as an issue if Victoria wants to spend the most on it and push it's value the most. But for sake of argument lets say we agree it's a problem, no biggie just change the rule to no city can host it 2 years out of three.

I'm not even sure Victoria would currently meet reasonable minimum standards anyway. They don't have a big enough rectangular stadium as Smug says. Realistically only Sydney, Brisbane, and Auckland would have a stadium that meets a sensible set of minimum standards initially.
Doesn't have to be at a rectangular stadium. I've been to origins at MCG and Optus and they were both as good an experience as the GF at Accor.

Wb1234

Referee
If we end up with Commbank, new SFS, new penrith, (done or confirmed) plus redeveloped brookvale, finished WIN and new SW stadium for Dogs and Tigers then that's a good win for the NRL clubs of NSW. Much better outcome than just Commbank and a new Accor.
Ideally we'd also see Shark park get 2 new stands and Newcastle get its ends but that might be a bit much $ wise.

liverpool is off the table

I wish they weren’t wasting any money on Accor and instead spent it on Campbelltown

win would need at least 100 million to finish off the two stands and that’s only if the dragons commit to playing 9 games there

I think Gus should use his mates to get belmore rebuilt. Gus has a lot of good connections and he could make an upgraded belmore a possibility

the dogs though do get good crowds at accor as it is even with their crap form now. South’s have done well at Homebush but it’s time to move back closer to home especially as the new sfs will probably be the best rugby league ground on earth

Jamberoo

Juniors

They would never play in in NZ. So you are left with just Brisbane and Sydney. If each city can only hold it every second year, the other city could bid $1 as there are no other suitable rectangular stadiums.
Bidding is not the way to go. Tie cities in with multi game contacts and then you can demand whatever you want.
EDIT - Homebush is not rectangular. Marvel with the seats in hold 56K. More than enough. The AFL could host the NRL.

Latest posts