What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
It's a proven fact that stadiums around vibrant precincts are more successful.
In fact, it doesn't even need to be proven.
Of course they f**king would be, as opposed to stadiums out in the sticks.
Name a single stadium in Sydney that has a vibrant precinct around it

having a McDonald’s and a subway doesn’t count

Perth Red

Post Whore
Name a single stadium in Sydney that has a vibrant precinct around it

having a McDonald’s and a subway doesn’t count
You really dont get out much do you? Commbank has a street full of bars and restaurants a stones throw away.

allianz should have been rebuilt in the city but even so is still only a walk away from the delights of Oxford street.

the rest, meh but that’s Sydney for you.
aami, Suncorp, nth queensland, all the newer stadiums built close to entertainment precincts. Go figure.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
You really dont get out much do you? Commbank has a street full of bars and restaurants a stones throw away.

allianz should have been rebuilt in the city but even so is still only a walk away from the delights of Oxford street.

the rest, meh but that’s Sydney for you.
aami, Suncorp, nth queensland, all the newer stadiums built close to entertainment precincts. Go figure.
Hahaha yep allianz is right on the cusp of Oxford st

Canard

Immortal
I grew up watching winter RL in places like whitehaven and barrow, that’s a positively balmy day out in Cumbria!
But yeh let’s spend $300mill on a roof for the one game in a three decades it snows in canberra. maybe people should toughen up A bit. A 4 sided stadium with decent drip line Is perfectly adequate in australia.
This is the RL equivalent of a Boomer crapping on about "in my day, I had it hard, so should you".

Canard

Immortal
17k crowd averages is supposed to disprove my point lmao

yep they’ve packed them in at Bruce in the past

if you think a good ten minute walk from a train station means it’s well located for public transport then good luck to you

fact is with commbank or allianz aren’t centrally located and yet get major crowds

people buy food and drinks at the ground what do they need other options outside the ground

even a dump like accor gets decent crowds and it’s a ghost town around the ground

the act govt has said where it’s going to be and like I said it’s better than doing nothing

not even you can argue the status quo should be maintained

this is a good result for rugby league which only you can spin into a negative
A ten minute walk from public transport?

The horror!

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is the RL equivalent of a Boomer crapping on about "in my day, I had it hard, so should you".
It wasn’t hard. It’s just weather. as my dear old nana said, no such thing as cold weather, only inappropriate clothing.
Australia doesn’t get weather so cold you cant sit in it for 2 hours lol but hey if you think canberra NEEDS a roof good luck convincing someone to pay for it.

Wb1234

Referee
Didn’t seem far to me. I walked from the city pub crawling up to it. But like I said allianz was also built in the wrong place, an error canberra should avoid.
Next time you make the trek step inside the taxi club on the way it’s a great meeting ground for English rugby league fans

Canard

Immortal
It wasn’t hard. It’s just weather. as my dear old nana said, no such thing as cold weather, only inappropriate clothing.
Australia doesn’t get weather so cold you cant sit in it for 2 hours lol but hey if you think canberra NEEDS a roof good luck convincing someone to pay for it.
I don't think they need a roof.

But I do think your being a hand job about it.

These points are not mutually exclusive.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I grew up watching winter RL in places like whitehaven and barrow, that’s a positively balmy day out in Cumbria!
But yeh let’s spend $300mill on a roof for the one game in a three decades it snows in canberra. maybe people should toughen up A bit. A 4 sided stadium with decent drip line Is perfectly adequate in australia.
Add architect to this know it alls list.
No one said a roof was a prerequisite you drip.

Vibing

Juniors
shut up fool

Vibing

Juniors
Speaking of drips, the biggest whinger on this site calling people soft. It gets freezing in Canberra in the middle of winter and responsible adults rightly don't like taking their kids to sit in a freezing stadium.
comparing 20,000 Canberrans at GIO in winter to 300 soap dodgers who don't have a life , at some shithole is the same thing

surely ?

The Great Dane

First Grade
I visited Bruce stadiu once and somehow I managed to get out alive

bought some food and drink at the ground

easy to park got back in the cbd in ten mins

must’ve just been lucky I guess lmao

my issues were it was freezing and the stands are built so far from the field

a modern roofed stadium there would be perfect wonder if that’s a chance in the real world rather than Danes world
Was that in a dream, because you can't get from Bruce to Civic in 10 minutes after a game. You would have spent longer than that just sitting in the carpark, and if you were taking the bus or calling an Uber or taxi it would have been significantly longer unless you were lucky.

Your personal anecdote isn't worth shit anyway, and you've totally missed the point about the social and economic benefits of building the stadium near existing infrastructure anyway.

Bruce still isn't a realistic chance of happening either as the ACT government and ASC still haven't come to an agreement on ownership, and seem to be at an impasse frankly. Nothing will happen at Bruce unless someone with power further up the chain comes down and forces the ASC to accept ACT gov ownership of the new stadium.

Last edited:

Latest posts