What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The Great Dane

First Grade
Completely agree with you. For the record I am firmly in the City stadium camp.

However, If it is going to be Bruce I’m hopeful they can design roads in and out that work for major events, prioritise a bus lane, I don’t know what the answers are.
Starting from scratch has its benefits.

Not sold on talk of a precinct though. A new brew pub is great, but that precinct dies without visitors when there is no event.
You need to get out of the Civic stadium camp because that's literally an impossibility and has been for years.

There's no plans to seriously upgrade the roads around Bruce, the only plans for increased PT links is a tram stop near Calvary on Haydon Dr that won't be built before 2055 at the earliest, if at it actually happens at all. There currently isn't even plans for more and better carparking, which isn't surprising considering that the government's MO is to try and force the population to use unreliable or non-existent public transport. Like you say, any talk of a precinct in Bruce is a fantasy.

It doesn't matter anyway because there can be no movement in Bruce until Barr and the ASC come to an agreement on ownership of the stadium, which is looking increasingly unlikely to happen.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Chief Minister Andrew Barr says stadium ownership looms as a deal-breaker for his Bruce renewal plan, adamant the ACT government must own a new facility and declaring there were too many red-flag problems to justify pursuing Civic as a location option.
In an attempt to ease tension between ACT government officials and stadium users, Barr has already reached out to Civic supporters at the NRL, Rugby Australia and the A-Leagues to flag his desire to work together to build a new venue at Bruce before 2033.

The response so far has been tentative, but reasonably warm considering how much vitriol there has been over the past 12 months. Barr is hopeful all codes will come to the table, even if that is offering international and elite content at next to no cost for a new venue, which is expected to cost more than $500 million.
Canberra Raiders chairman Dennis Richardson will front the media on Friday morning and back the proposal for a 30,000-seat stadium, on the proviso a new stadium is built rather than trying to upgrade an outdated venue that's considered no longer fit-for-purpose.
Barr has commissioned a $300,000 feasibility study - the sixth of its kind since 2009 - to look at the best option moving forward, including whether to build a new stadium, do a staged rebuild of Canberra Stadium, or a complete knockdown-rebuild.

That study will form part of a submission to the federal government in an attempt to secure Commonwealth funding for the project.
A new venue - likely on the eastern side of the existing site - will require a variation to the National Capital Plan and there are fears that may add a two-year wait to an already drawn-out 14-year saga.

The statistic that could see the Raiders create history
Either way, Barr says it's time for Civic backers and Bruce supporters to come together to support a plan similar to the one tabled as part of Australia's men's soccer World Cup bid in 2009.
"There are more opinions on this than there are people in Canberra. You certainly shouldn't make the very good be the enemy of the perfect in relation to proceeding with new projects," Barr said.
"And, I have genuinely explored [all stadium location options]. It's not something I haven't devoted a lot of time and effort to to try to make it work. But I've got to face facts - red flag after red flag [for the Civic site], it was just not going to work.
"Throughout the process we've had fallbacks ... I've even got a fallback on the AIS option. But I'm more confident now that we have a pathway forward.

"I recognise and understand the point people make about the current AIS site [and its lack of vibrancy], and acknowledge there will be a task of renewal. We need to think creatively how to make that space appealing. I think we can do it."
Barr says the ACT needs to own the stadium to justify such significant spending. The existing stadium is owned by the Australian Sports Commission - a federal government agency - and the land is zoned for Commonwealth use.
Asked if he regretted not pulling the trigger on stadium ideas in 2009, or throughout the 2010s, Barr said: "We didn't have the money at the time."
Barr said there were "huge risks" associated with the Civic site, pointing to yet-to-be-released details of sewerage pipes, chemical contamination and expected building rubble and asbestos.
He says if a new, or upgraded, Bruce venue gets federal funding approval, the ACT government will work with the AIS to build more housing, bars, hotels and carparks surrounding the 64-hectare site. Some of that will be on ACT-owned land surrounding the AIS; some will be on existing AIS land.

Barr all but ruled out putting a roof on a new venue, but said there would be more covered seating than is currently offered at Canberra Stadium.
"That would add hundreds of millions of dollars to the cost. Covered seating is different to an entirely covered arena," Barr said. "We need much more covered seating ... but the second you go into opening and closing roofs, or full-enclosed stadiums, you're increasing the costs massively. And it wouldn't necessarily make it that much warmer."

He said the overall spend on stadium construction needed to be managed to avoid blowouts, which would then affect ticket prices. "If we overcapitalise, then we could run the risk of pricing many people out of being able to access the venue because the ticket prices are so high," Barr said.
When told tickets to NRL matches at the new $828 million stadium in Sydney were cheaper than those for games at the 46-year-old Canberra Stadium, Barr said: "In a city like Sydney, there's a different level of revenue generation.
"Those stadiums are used more frequently than ours ever will be. Putting together a business case, I'm not going to be ridiculously optimistic and try to, frankly, BS people that [a new Canberra Stadium] is going to be used more than 30 times a year. It's just not. We're not going to write up a business case that dreams up that it's going to be used 100 times a year, because it's not.

"We want people to be able to go to games and be able to afford to get to the ground to support the Raiders and Brumbies."
Barr flagged the idea of stadium memberships to help generate revenue, and floated the prospect of sporting codes, or individual teams, chipping in to fit out hospitality areas.
But he warned Canberrans not to expect a state-of-the-art facility with all the special trimmings of expensive sporting stadiums around the world.
"It can't be a gold-plated facility," he said.
"We need a new stadium, but no, we do not need an extravagant facility. We need something that's functional, value for money."
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...or-spurning-civic-for-bruce-stadium/?cs=14329

The Great Dane

First Grade
Albo will just ring Kieren
its theirs , they're paying half .. we're paying the rest.
The ACT gov has made it clear that they won't agree to any deal like that, and rightfully so after all the shenanigans over the last 20-30 years.

Either the ACT gov ends up with 100% ownership of the stadium or the stadium in Bruce is dead in the water unless the Feds pay for and maintain it themselves, which will never happen. The ACT gov will look to build a new stadium in EPIC if things play out that way, which would be a disaster.

Vibing

Juniors
The ACT gov has made it clear that they won't agree to any deal like that, and rightfully so after all the shenanigans over the last 20-30 years.

Either the ACT gov ends up with 100% ownership of the stadium or the stadium in Bruce is dead in the water unless the Feds pay for and maintain it themselves, which will never happen. The ACT gov will look to build a new stadium in EPIC if things play out that way, which would be a disaster.
I didn't say the ACT govt wouldn't own it 100%
Albo will tell the AIS , its theirs & its to be built on our land

The Great Dane

First Grade
I didn't say the ACT govt wouldn't own it 100%
Albo will tell the AIS , its theirs & its to be built on our land
Albo doesn't have that power, he's s prime minister not a king lol.

There'll need to be a fair bit of backroom politicking to get the ASC to give up ownership of their most valuable asset.

Wb1234

Referee
Was that in a dream, because you can't get from Bruce to Civic in 10 minutes after a game. You would have spent longer than that just sitting in the carpark, and if you were taking the bus or calling an Uber or taxi it would have been significantly longer unless you were lucky.

Your personal anecdote isn't worth shit anyway, and you've totally missed the point about the social and economic benefits of building the stadium near existing infrastructure anyway.

Bruce still isn't a realistic chance of happening either as the ACT government and ASC still haven't come to an agreement on ownership, and seem to be at an impasse frankly. Nothing will happen at Bruce unless someone with power further up the chain comes down and forces the ASC to accept ACT gov ownership of the new stadium.
I’ve been to a thousand games in my life

not once did I care about a stadium having a pub next to it

it’s just a few weirdos on here making up bs

stop turning good news into bad with your make believe nonsense

The Great Dane

First Grade
You think the prime minister doesn't have any influence ?

haha
yea ok
There's a difference between having influence and being able to unilaterally dictate what happens. Albo has influence for sure, but it isn't within his power to force the ASC to just give GIO to the ACT government.

It's more complex than that anyway, as there's more going on with the AIS precinct than just what happens with the stadium. There're strong pushes from multiple stakeholders trying to get it moved out of the ACT completely for example, so any decision about the stadium needs to take those other issues into account as well.

taipan

Referee
No wonder Garlick got into the Garlo pie business, I'm freezing my nuts watching that shot.

My 50c worth.The game is marketed as being family friendly, and as such if you take family including young kids then you expect some comfort seating wise.
That being the case, having stands with extended roof lines to protect from the rain(which the last abomination of the SFS did not)is the least one should expect nowadays.
We can pretty well state a new Bruce stadium won't have a covered roof a no brainer, but surely having a roof over a stand that covers every sitting person it holds, is not asking too much. Especially after seeing the above Bruce example.

What is not needed is an all purpose stadium that fumble ball uses ,at the expense of the rectangular codes.That is how the Olympic Stadium has ended up, and it's sh*tsville for cover and viewer experience.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Mate you're f**king clueless, you don't understand the crux of the debate or why there's even a debate in the first place, and you're a drag on the whole discussion because of it.

This isn't good news, it's literally just a nothing story where Barr is announcing another expensive feasibility study into the stadium to stall for time, the sixth to be precise.

You're also the only person talking make believe nonsense because you know nothing about the city, the ground, the politics involved, or any of the history, and all your opinions are grounded in your own personal preferences instead of studies on what does and does not make a stadium successful.

Vibing

Juniors
No wonder Garlick got into the Garlo pie business, I'm freezing my nuts watching that shot.

My 50c worth.The game is marketed as being family friendly, and as such if you take family including young kids then you expect some comfort seating wise.
That being the case, having stands with extended roof lines to protect from the rain(which the last abomination of the SFS did not)is the least one should expect nowadays.
We can pretty well state a new Bruce stadium won't have a covered roof a no brainer, but surely having a roof over a stand that covers every sitting person it holds, is not asking too much. Especially after seeing the above Bruce example.

What is not needed is an all purpose stadium that fumble ball uses ,at the expense of the rectangular codes.That is how the Olympic Stadium has ended up, and it's sh*tsville for cover and viewer experience.
I remember the day well , it was late May .. so not even winter officially
it just blew in on the Sunday morning & it was a white out til about 2pm ...... & while it was cold , there have been days/ nights colder with no snow.

The night we played the Broncos in August in 1993 was unbearable
dunno if its true but the temp was apparently -6
Still got 25,000 there , belted the ever loving snot outta them too

Perth Red

Post Whore

with all due respect your demographic is not the one NRL clubs are chasing!

It's Been Done

Juniors
I remember the day well , it was late May .. so not even winter officially
it just blew in on the Sunday morning & it was a white out til about 2pm ...... & while it was cold , there have been days/ nights colder with no snow.
Wasn't it colder than -6 when Johnathan Thurston made his last appearance in Canberra 5 years ago?

The Great Dane

First Grade
There has never been a game played in Oz at an air temp of -6.
Trust me.
That's just silly talk.
Maybe with wind chill.

IDK I've been in Bruce stadium when it's been so cold that it's caused snot and moisture to freeze to you're face, so I wouldn't say it's impossible.