What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It may be a bad deal for Tasmania, but it's pretty hard to argue that it's bad for the AFL.

It's clear that the AFL doesn't really want to expand to Tasmania and as such the AFL's negotiated themselves into a win/win situation; either the Tasmanian side get's the best launch possible in a state of the art stadium, or the Tas gov cancels the stadium, the AFL isn't forced to expand to Tas, and they can place the lion's share of the blame for the failed expansion attempt on Tasmania it's self in the court of public opinion.

For the rest of time blokes in pubs around the country will say Tas blew their chance at an AFL side if the stadium is overturned.
Smart by the AFL for sure but damn I’d be passed off at being treated with that sort of contempt by then if I was Tasmanian, given that Hobart actually has a perfectly good stadium anyway. I’d hope our code was better than that

MugaB

Coach
Smart by the AFL for sure but damn I’d be passed off at being treated with that sort of contempt by then if I was Tasmanian, given that Hobart actually has a perfectly good stadium anyway. I’d hope our code was better than that
Our code definitely is, we play in country areas, take games to rural areas often, damn the cost, we arent demanding the clubs play in certian stadia, even though it would cost beneficial to do so, along with better facilities etc, but i doubt the NRL put strict guidelines to a new bid that has to play in a minimum 30k stadium, they let in the dolphins ffs, their ground (albiet only plays 3 games) hold 12k max

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
It may be a bad deal for Tasmania, but it's pretty hard to argue that it's bad for the AFL.

It's clear that the AFL doesn't really want to expand to Tasmania and as such the AFL's negotiated themselves into a win/win situation; either the Tasmanian side get's the best launch possible in a state of the art stadium, or the Tas gov cancels the stadium, the AFL isn't forced to expand to Tas, and they can place the lion's share of the blame for the failed expansion attempt on Tasmania it's self in the court of public opinion.

For the rest of time blokes in pubs around the country will say Tas blew their chance at an AFL side if the stadium is overturned.
And yet when the nrl does the exact same with png you say it’s a bad idea lol

it’s win win for the nrl too
What is? afl have demanded a new stadium and govt funding. and got it.
Has nrl demanded anything? Does nrl even know what it should be demanding? Does nrl even know where it wants the next club? Shamateur.
as usual you blame the arlc with no evidence

I’m sure they know what they want and are discussing it with Perth

they aren’t the immediate priority though for team 18 so it’s not as urgent as sorting out the png bid

Pneuma

First Grade

Mate when a football code can fine taxpayers for the delay of the build of a stadium we have entered a new world of stupid. The afl are corporate bullies

Jamberoo

Juniors
Not sure it demonstrates contempt. Bellerive would be the worst main stadium by a country mile if they rent with that.

Imagine if there was no team in Canberra and they were adding them now. If the NRL demanded a new, better located stadium rather having to play at Bruce, how would that be showing contempt? Surely it is just asking for what is needed to give the team a better chance of success, bring more money into the game and give the fans a better experience. Use the leverage while you have it, as once the team comes in you are stuck with the second rate stadium, much like what we have now in Canberra.

And surely the NRL does the same if they go to Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed, although it doesn't bode well for the govt...
Anyways fk the AFL... we should be talking about the nice new stadium in Christchurch or Canberra (if and when it can be made/if ever)
cough cough. first mention of AFL came from you lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m sure they know what they want and are discussing it with Perth

they aren’t the immediate priority though for team 18 so it’s not as urgent as sorting out the png bid
you have more faith in them than I do! Every month its a different media statement about who they want lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Regardless of what the NRL want, cant say well got a shiny new stadium, you're in and howl them down for it, when you're advocating for perth to get an NRL licence, playing at HBF park... cant have it both ways... if Optus was a rectangular stadium there would be absolutely no issue, but you're in the camp of HBF getting 12 home games, but then shit on a Christchurch bid (not that there is one yet) of having a chance, when theyve ticked that stadium/facilities box
I want them to put the pressure on the WA Govt to get the very best outcome for RL in WA. Be that a new stadium, a redeveloped HBF, or numerous other things they should be demanding to help the game long term here. Strike whilst the irons hot and all that.

Wb1234

Referee
you have more faith in them than I do! Every month its a different media statement about who they want lol
Having more faith than you is hardly saying much

18 teams is locked in and excellent chance we go to 20 which means Perth is guaranteed a team

vlandys recent comments about Perth weren’t missed by you either

Dragonwest

Juniors
I want them to put the pressure on the WA Govt to get the very best outcome for RL in WA. Be that a new stadium, a redeveloped HBF, or numerous other things they should be demanding to help the game long term here. Strike whilst the irons hot and all that.
A proper home & centre of excellence somewhere near the center of Perth (within 15km North/South with straight access off the freeway) is critical.

Vibing

Juniors
Not sure it demonstrates contempt. Bellerive would be the worst main stadium by a country mile if they rent with that.

Imagine if there was no team in Canberra and they were adding them now. If the NRL demanded a new, better located stadium rather having to play at Bruce, how would that be showing contempt? Surely it is just asking for what is needed to give the team a better chance of success, bring more money into the game and give the fans a better experience. Use the leverage while you have it, as once the team comes in you are stuck with the second rate stadium, much like what we have now in Canberra.

And surely the NRL does the same if they go to Perth.
They can play at the existing stadiums like Canberra did for 41 years

then
they can talk about a new venue , & actually get it built by year 50
like the Raiders will..

K ?

Vibing

Juniors
It is an utter disgrace that heartland fans are told .... unless your state govt goes bankrupt building a stadium
you won't get a team

The Great Dane

First Grade
And yet when the nrl does the exact same with png you say it’s a bad idea lol

it’s win win for the nrl too
A PNG side is a lose-lose for the NRL.

They may not realise it, but they don't really want a PNG side in the league either, at least not yet, and not only is the support offered by the government unsustainable in the long term, but no amount of it will make a PNG side commercially viable. In other words allowing a side from PNG into the comp would not only be the NRL being forced to accept a side they don't really want, but they'd be setting themselves up with a ticking time bomb that they'll be forced to deal with sooner or later.

On the other hand an AFL side in Tasmania is commercially viable, it's just not as profitable as other options, so the AFL has negotiated a position where they give it the best start and maximise it's potential as much as possible or it doesn't happen.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Mate when a football code can fine taxpayers for the delay of the build of a stadium we have entered a new world of stupid. The afl are corporate bullies
I don't necessarily disagree, but that's the game and the AFL are just very good players.

Tasmania allowed themselves to become waaaay too desperate and put themselves into a weak position to negotiate from, and the AFL are simply taking advantage of that weakness. Tasmania and/or any organisation that's run half decently would do the same if roles were reversed.

Last edited:

Pneuma

First Grade
I don't necessarily disagree, but that's the game and the AFL are just very good players.

Tasmania allowed themselves to become waaaay too desperate and put themselves into a weak position to negotiate from, and the AFL are simply taking advantage of that weakness. Tasmania and/or any organisation that's run half decently would do the same if roles were reversed.
I’d have thought a sporting organisation that feeds off taxpayers funds might be more discrete in writing in terms where they fine the taxpayer? The stadium is highly unpopular down here as is the government

A PNG side is a lose-lose for the NRL.

They may not realise it, but they don't really want a PNG side in the league either, at least not yet, and not only is the support offered by the government unsustainable in the long term, but no amount of it will make a PNG side commercially viable. In other words allowing a side from PNG into the comp would not only be the NRL being forced to accept a side they don't really want, but they'd be setting themselves up with a ticking time bomb that they'll be forced to deal with sooner or later.

On the other hand an AFL side in Tasmania is commercially viable, it's just not as profitable as other options, so the AFL has negotiated a position where they give it the best start and maximise it's potential as much as possible or it doesn't happen.

I agree with your points about a PNG side.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I’d have thought a sporting organisation that feeds off taxpayers funds might be more discrete in writing in terms where they fine the taxpayer? The stadium is highly unpopular down here as is the government
Why be discrete if you don't have to be, and whether or not the stadium is unpopular isn't as relevant as whether or not it's so unpopular that people are willing to give up a chance at a Tasmanian AFL side because of it.

I understand that you're unhappy with the situation, but don't hate the player, hate the game, and all that.

Pneuma

First Grade
Why be discrete if you don't have to be, and whether or not the stadium is unpopular isn't as relevant as whether or not it's so unpopular that people are willing to give up a chance at a Tasmanian AFL side because of it.

I understand that you're unhappy with the situation, but don't hate the player, hate the game, and all that.
Hey mate it isn’t my problem. The government is in serious trouble. My guess is the afl lads sat in their office and laughed about how far they could take this and our government just kept giving way. I’m not annoyed with the afl at all. I reckon they could not believe how stupid our premier is. No other government would give way like this. But my question remains. How on earth does a government negotiate an agreement which leaves itself open to financial penalties from a sporting organisation? Any precedents?