What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Canard

Immortal
Hey mate it isn’t my problem. The government is in serious trouble. My guess is the afl lads sat in their office and laughed about how far they could take this and our government just kept giving way. I’m not annoyed with the afl at all. I reckon they could not believe how stupid our premier is. No other government would give way like this. But my question remains. How on earth does a government negotiate an agreement which leaves itself open to financial penalties from a sporting organisation? Any precedents?
I would assume that things like the World Cup, Olympics and Comm Games etc. have penalty clauses relating to dates included in any contractual arrangement.

In this market though, given how cooked our supply chain is and how limited our labour market is, I would be advising strongly against entering into such an agreement.

Pneuma

First Grade
I would assume that things like the World Cup, Olympics and Comm Games etc. have penalty clauses relating to dates included in any contractual arrangement.

In this market though, given how cooked our supply chain is and how limited our labour market is, I would be advising strongly against entering into such an agreement.
I spend my work life in the world of agreements (sadly). Never seen one as one sided as this.

taipan

Referee
What is? afl have demanded a new stadium and govt funding. and got it.
Has nrl demanded anything? Does nrl even know what it should be demanding? Does nrl even know where it wants the next club? Shamateur.
Well FFS get your mob together over in the West and as a precursor demand the WA Govt gives you a huge grant toward a bright shiny new 25K seat stadium, because Perth is many times bigger than Hobart.Then when you get the OK, send a delegation over to your nemesis Pedro V'L ,to demand the NRL secure a Federal grant toward said stadium.Because you'll do much better than PNG or NZ2 .
So that you are in a rock solid position to to secure the 18th slot.
Then when you have achieved this result and the stadium is built, fill the bast*rd.

Your constant bitching reminds me of the grating of chalk on a blackboard.You must hate the thought the sun rises in the east.

Wb1234

Referee
A PNG side is a lose-lose for the NRL.

They may not realise it, but they don't really want a PNG side in the league either, at least not yet, and not only is the support offered by the government unsustainable in the long term, but no amount of it will make a PNG side commercially viable. In other words allowing a side from PNG into the comp would not only be the NRL being forced to accept a side they don't really want, but they'd be setting themselves up with a ticking time bomb that they'll be forced to deal with sooner or later.

On the other hand an AFL side in Tasmania is commercially viable, it's just not as profitable as other options, so the AFL has negotiated a position where they give it the best start and maximise it's potential as much as possible or it doesn't happen.
It’s the exact same as tasmania in the afl

funny your double standards against the sport you claim to be a fan of

Wb1234

Referee
Well FFS get your mob together over in the West and as a precursor demand the WA Govt gives you a huge grant toward a bright shiny new 25K seat stadium, because Perth is many times bigger than Hobart.Then when you get the OK, send a delegation over to your nemesis Pedro V'L ,to demand the NRL secure a Federal grant toward said stadium.Because you'll do much better than PNG or NZ2 .
So that you are in a rock solid position to to secure the 18th slot.
Then when you have achieved this result and the stadium is built, fill the bast*rd.

Your constant bitching reminds me of the grating of chalk on a blackboard.You must hate the thought the sun rises in the east.
The wa govt has asked the arlc what they want to be able to give Perth an nrl team so it’s up to the arlc to demand a new stadium

if they aren’t as agressive as the afl we’re with tasmania then that’s a fault with our leadership

afl has shown what’s possible we shouldn’t accept second best solutions

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Worst thing you can do is plan a centre of excellence for a team that doesn't exist.

In fact the term centre of excellence is a wank tbh.

Pneuma

First Grade
Not sure it demonstrates contempt. Bellerive would be the worst main stadium by a country mile if they rent with that.

Imagine if there was no team in Canberra and they were adding them now. If the NRL demanded a new, better located stadium rather having to play at Bruce, how would that be showing contempt? Surely it is just asking for what is needed to give the team a better chance of success, bring more money into the game and give the fans a better experience. Use the leverage while you have it, as once the team comes in you are stuck with the second rate stadium, much like what we have now in Canberra.

And surely the NRL does the same if they go to Perth.
Bellerive is absolutely fine you ignorant twerp. I’ve been there plenty of times. The crap you write about Tassie just shows what a goose you truly are.

Exsilium

First Grade
Worst thing you can do is plan a centre of excellence for a team that doesn't exist.

In fact the term centre of excellence is a wank tbh.

In most professional sporting organisations a ‘Centre of Excellence’ is what’s expected. No idea why the term has such meaning here but having suitable facilities in this day and age seems to be the cost of entry.

wazdog

Juniors
There’s a paywall. Anyone got the info?

Me too: NRL wants ‘essential’ upgrade to Suncorp Stadium for 2032 Olympics

The NRL is demanding Suncorp Stadium not be overlooked for funding ahead of the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, warning it will have passed its useful life by then. TAKE OUR POLL

Matthew Killoran

July 04, 2023 5:52 am

The NRL is demanding Suncorp Stadium not be overlooked for funding ahead of the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, warning it will have passed its useful life by then.

In a sign rugby league has woken up to the fact the AFL and cricket will be the main beneficiaries of the $7bn infrastructure spend, it has made a surprise bid for the state government and Olympics Organising Committee to get behind upgrading the stadium.

The move blindsided the government, which said the stadium was already considered one of the best of its kind in the world and “that will be as true in 2032 as it is today”.

While $2.7bn is being splashed on the Gabba Stadium, there has been no formal commitment to upgrading Suncorp Stadium.

Rugby league is not an Olympic sport, but the stadium will host the Olympic soccer and rugby 7s finals.

The NRL is warning the stadium will be about 30 years old by the 2032 Games and will need “essential” upgrades to meet Olympic standards.

These would include to technology and connectivity, seat replacement, as well as new and improved hospitality, food and beverage services.

It is understood representatives for peak sporting bodies of “rectangular field sports” – soccer, rugby league and rugby union – have been meeting in private to ensure there is an Olympic legacy for their sports.

NRL general manager of partnerships Jaymes Boland-Rudder said Suncorp’s patronage was 70 per cent higher than the Gabba, which would soon be “the most expensive piece of sporting infrastructure in Australia”.

“It is important that Suncorp Stadium is not overlooked for funding,” he said in a submission to the Senate inquiry into Australia’s preparedness to host the Olympics.

ARL commissioner Kate Jones said there had been a lot of focus on the Gabba, but Suncorp Stadium would be nearly 30 years old by 2032.

“It’s held up beautifully and it’s still regarded as a great stadium,” she said.

“But we want to make sure it’s world-class when the eyes of the world are on Brisbane in 2032.”

Sports Minister Stirling Hinchliffe’s spokesman said visiting International Olympic Committee officials commented last year that Suncorp Stadium was of a high standard and capable of holding Olympic events tomorrow if required.

“The Queensland government has a close working partnership with the NRL,” he said.

“Views expressed by the NRL in their Senate Committee submission have not previously been discussed with the Queensland government.”

He said the stadiums corporate areas had been recently upgraded, $11m was invested this year in accessibility and technology upgrades for the FIFA Women’s World Cup, $10m was committed in 2024 for two lifts and the replacement of 30,000 seats, and that $43m had been spent over the past decade.

“The NRL has benefited greatly from the state government’s investment in not only Suncorp stadium but Queensland Country Bank Stadium in Townsville, CBUS Super Stadium on the Gold Coast and the upgrade of Browne Park, Rockhampton, starting later this year,” he said.

Diesel

Referee
With 3 major sports using a rectangle game all round the year, it makes sense for the 3 codes to lobby together. The AFL have been doing it for decades

Jamberoo

Juniors
Bellerive is absolutely fine you ignorant twerp. I’ve been there plenty of times. The crap you write about Tassie just shows what a goose you truly are.
Charming as usual.

Bellrieve is ordinary. I have been there too. It is a nice ground for cricket and it is not as bad as most NRL stadiums in Sydney, but that should not be the standard for professional sport. It is a long way behind all other main AFL stadiums, Parra, SFS, Lang Park, AAMI and ACCOR, obviously. Very small site in an average location as well and would be a waste of money to upgrade.

Best to get it right and do it once. Lipstick on a pig is the mistake too often made made governments and sporting organisations.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Better late than never I suppose!

“Views expressed by the NRL in their Senate Committee submission have not previously been discussed with the Queensland government.”

Pneuma

First Grade
Charming as usual.

Bellrieve is ordinary. I have been there too. It is a nice ground for cricket and it is not as bad as most NRL stadiums in Sydney, but that should not be the standard for professional sport. It is a long way behind all other main AFL stadiums, Parra, SFS, Lang Park, AAMI and ACCOR, obviously. Very small site in an average location as well and would be a waste of money to upgrade.

Best to get it right and do it once. Lipstick on a pig is the mistake too often made made governments and sporting organisations.
I’m more charming than you deserve smart ass. The ground has has tens of millions spent on it already and only needs a minor upgrade. It already meets afl standards. Doesn’t matter anyway. Despite all your uninformed posturing it won’t go ahead. The cost is ridiculous and unjustifiable. But hey you know better. Interested to see your view when it brings the government down.

Canard

Immortal
The bigger issue for mine, how is it that Bellerive gets misspelt a dozen times by a Victorian and a Tasmanian............

Vibing

Juniors
16 or 17K at Belrieve oval & the oval in Launceston is more then acceptable for the teams entry into the aflol ...
& while other states & territories can afford projects like this ...
Tasmania can't

to hold them to ransom is obscene
not much more needs to be said

Latest posts