What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Pneuma

First Grade
Of course they passed on it. But what else would a 40k rectangular stadium be needed for? Even if there was one, Brisbane and Sydney would still get the finals due to having bigger stadiums.
The Force, the A League team and potentially the Perth league team. Add to that internationals for all three codes and there is plenty of use for such a stadium in Perth.
Incidentally, a city the size of Melbourne having such a small rectangular stadium is a clear indication of the mentality of afl dominated states.

Bukowski

Juniors
The Force, the A League team and potentially the Perth league team. Add to that internationals for all three codes and there is plenty of use for such a stadium in Perth.
Incidentally, a city the size of Melbourne having such a small rectangular stadium is a clear indication of the mentality of afl dominated states.
Domestically HBF is suitable as it is, until we get an NRL team. For the occasional internationals, Optus does the job and holds 20k more than any proposed 40k stadium.
There's no need at all for it.

Pneuma

First Grade
Domestically HBF is suitable as it is, until we get an NRL team. For the occasional internationals, Optus does the job and holds 20k more than any proposed 40k stadium.
There's no need at all for it.
Optus is an afl ground and is not suitable for top quality football. Our game deserves quality rectangular grounds. To accept otherwise disrespects our code. Union league and soccer need to band together in afl dominated states and ask for a fair go. We are being taken for a ride.

Bukowski

Juniors
Optus is an afl ground and is not suitable for top quality football. Our game deserves quality rectangular grounds. To accept otherwise disrespects our code. Union league and soccer need to band together in afl dominated states and ask for a fair go. We are being taken for a ride.
Well league need to show an interest here. They can't bitch about stadiums without having a team here.

Suitman

Post Whore
Have you been?
It really doesn’t, been to 3 RL events there and enjoyed them all.
is it as good as a rectangular stadium? No,
is it better overall than Accor? Yes,
is it worth spending $1billion to build a 50k rectangular stadium in perth when it’s not needed? Absolutely not.
No one has suggested that.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Perth provides a poor viewing experience for anything but Ozzie rules. Second-rate facilities rightfully ignored for big events.

The NRL should look at a team there when they decide to upgrade their suburban park.

Fantastic atmosphere for the Matilda’s game tonight btw.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Melbourne has both the MCG and Marvel - giving it both the highest capacity stadium in the country and the only full roofed big stadium. Unless you’re talking specifically for rectangular field sports they’ve easily got the best selection of stadiums in the country. And even then Marvel can be configured as a rectangle (you just have to force The AFL to allow it).
Marvel is miles ahead of Accor for any sport. The upper levels are much closer to the action.

We should be supporting tournaments like this that help push for upgrades to our rectangular stadiums. Still think it's laughable that you're crying because a handful of games have to played not at your usual ground to facilitate one of the biggest tournaments in the world.
The Broncos vs Dolphins game was played at the Gabba on the 1st of July. The first women's soccer game at Lang Park isn't until the 22nd of July.

How do you defend the NRL being forced out of their grounds 22 days before the soccer began?

The women's soccer isn't a popular tournament around the world. We're talking about players who are so crap they get beaten by 15 year old boys from Newcastle. A few weeks ago a bunch of men over the age of 40 beat the USA women 10-0 in a game that was played over just 40 minutes.

TheRam

Coach
The Broncos vs Dolphins game was played at the Gabba on the 1st of July. The first women's soccer game at Lang Park isn't until the 22nd of July.

How do you defend the NRL being forced out of their grounds 22 days before the soccer began?

The women's soccer isn't a popular tournament around the world. We're talking about players who are so crap they get beaten by 15 year old boys from Newcastle. A few weeks ago a bunch of men over the age of 40 beat the USA women 10-0 in a game that was played over just 40 minutes.

Well I for one will not watch even a minute of it. Of that I'm sure of. Joke of a tournament and we didn't even get a rectangular stadium out of it. So what the hell is it even good for???

I can't believe we have to give up our stadiums for this blow in of a armature-a-thon event. Women should stick to cooking, cleaning, raising babies, looking after then man and Rugby League. All things they are brilliant at if they focus and put their minds to. Anything else is just greedy and silly really.

The world would be a way better place, of that I am sure of! Family and Rugby League is king!!

Timbo

Staff member
1689892410141.png

The amount of just completely inane shit in this thread about Perth.

We, as a league, average 18,000 to games. A number which is skewed high by a few clubs like the Broncos. 15,000 would be a very respectable average crowd for any Perth team particularly in its infancy. HBF park needs work on a few areas like corporate seating on the western side. That's about it. 20-25,000 is a great capacity for a new club.

The absolute space cadets on here going on about how Perth needs a 40-50k rectangular stadium - no it doesn't. It will never, ever get filled except for the occasional Wallabies/Springboks test and on the off chance the Perth NRL side makes a prelim. For matches like that Optus Stadium is a completely fair compromise.

All of this 'league, soccer and union need to band together' talk - ok then what? Let me tell you how that conversation with the WA Government goes:

'The three of us want a 40,000 seat rectangular stadium!'

'You have a perfectly good 22,000 seat stadium, and you're welcome to use Optus Stadium for the rare event exceeding that capacity. The experiences of fans for rectangular sport there in the past have been well recieved'

'NOT GOOD ENOUGH! WE WANT A BIGGER STADIUM! BECAUSE PEOPE ON LU SAID WE'RE SOFT IF WE EVER PLAY AT AN OVAL!'

'I don't know what LU is and I think I'm going to go now'.

Christ on a f**king bike grow up you lot and join the real world.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Nice rant.

Perth and Adelaide need a decent rectangular stadium if they ever want to host a world class events. Melbourne barely passes with Marvel but it is still below par.

Optus Stadium is big and shiny, but no one should pretend it offers a good viewing experience for rectangular sports.

Pneuma

First Grade
View attachment 77062

The amount of just completely inane shit in this thread about Perth.

We, as a league, average 18,000 to games. A number which is skewed high by a few clubs like the Broncos. 15,000 would be a very respectable average crowd for any Perth team particularly in its infancy. HBF park needs work on a few areas like corporate seating on the western side. That's about it. 20-25,000 is a great capacity for a new club.

The absolute space cadets on here going on about how Perth needs a 40-50k rectangular stadium - no it doesn't. It will never, ever get filled except for the occasional Wallabies/Springboks test and on the off chance the Perth NRL side makes a prelim. For matches like that Optus Stadium is a completely fair compromise.

All of this 'league, soccer and union need to band together' talk - ok then what? Let me tell you how that conversation with the WA Government goes:

'The three of us want a 40,000 seat rectangular stadium!'

'You have a perfectly good 22,000 seat stadium, and you're welcome to use Optus Stadium for the rare event exceeding that capacity. The experiences of fans for rectangular sport there in the past have been well recieved'

'NOT GOOD ENOUGH! WE WANT A BIGGER STADIUM! BECAUSE PEOPE ON LU SAID WE'RE SOFT IF WE EVER PLAY AT AN OVAL!'

'I don't know what LU is and I think I'm going to go now'.

Christ on a f**king bike grow up you lot and join the real world.
Jesus what a rant. The small mindset of some rugby league enthusiasts has held back the game forever. Perth deserves a decent stadium for rectangle sports not a second best option. That is pandering to the dictates of the fumblers. You don’t get many premium events in Perth because they do not have an appropriate rectangle ground. Having three local teams (including an nrl team) as well as tests and other internationals will ensure the ground is well utilised all year round.

Pneuma

First Grade
Nice rant.

Perth and Adelaide need a decent rectangular stadium if they ever want to host a world class events. Melbourne barely passes with Marvel but it is still below par.

Optus Stadium is big and shiny, but no one should pretend it offers a good viewing experience for rectangular sports.
Marvel is an afl ground unsuited to league and union. I’ve been there and it’s just a pass mark.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
As a regular person who goes to games, I will attend around 15-20 games a season

One thing I then notice with "event" fans is that they attend around 10-12 events a year

Those sort of events include
- cricket test
- rugby international
- soccer international
- RL GF or Preliminary Final
- SOO
- Easter Show
- throw in a concert
- NYE
- Bathurst

Not hard to see why those fans dont have much time for regular season games

Making a game an event brings these fans. But its regular scheduling of that event that plays a big part

mongoose

Coach
something like AAMI or Country Bank in Perth would be good. Something that has a bit of architectural flair, Perth needs more standout buildings.