What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Of course I didn't include Kangaroos tests in my post - as much as people desperately want them to be, they aren't premium events that need a massive rectangular stadium.

The last six Kanagroos home games:

42,000 vs. England, Lang Park out of 52,000 seats (World Cup Final)
22,000 vs. Fiji, Lang Park out of 52,000 seats
13,000 vs. Samoa, TIO Stadium out of 15,000 seats.
21,000 vs. Lebanon, Old SFS out of 48,000 seats.
12,000 vs. France, Canberra Stadium out of 26,000 seats.
22,000 vs. England, AAMI Park out od 30,500 seats.

Origin is leagues premium product. It's that simple. People go 'oh, noes, league doesn't have the vision to play more internationals' when the reality is 50,000 people aren't willing to pay money to turn up and watch Australia beat France 50-0. It's not enjoyable at all.
That’s a bit dishonest because you’re counting ALL Kangaroos tests there, you wouldn’t count all Wallabies tests as premium events, only those against top tier opposition. Kangaroo tests against England and NZ should be premium events.

Wb1234

Immortal
That’s a bit dishonest because you’re counting ALL Kangaroos tests there, you wouldn’t count all Wallabies tests as premium events, only those against top tier opposition. Kangaroo tests against England and NZ should be premium events.
They aren’t on par with origin even a dead rubber as this year showed

Vibing

Juniors
But they should be, given they showcase the absolute best players in the world. The problem is marketing.
not sure that they do show case the absolute best

Id say of the top 34 players in the world , 25 would normally be involved in Origin , maybe 6 kiwis & 3 poms

jim_57

Staff member
Good- both of those need relatively small additions to actually be good stadiums in otherwise unserviced cities, unlike putting lipstick on suburban pigs like Leichhardt.

Newcastle could be upgraded to 40k relatively cheaply, cheap for an end result of 40k anyway. That was the plan for the FIFA WC bid from memory.

r444_507_3448_2427_w576_h298_fmax.jpg

Wollongong a new eastern stand and southern stand would sort it for the foreseeable future, all seater 25k give or take.

Regional NSW stadiums sorted.

TheRam

Coach
The sad thing about your post is that you didn't mention the Kangeroos as a premium event. So much hype around Origin, and very little recognition around international rugby league. The game has got to change that narrative. It needs to raise the profile of international rugby league.

Very hard to do that when the only nations that play it seriously are a handful of PI nations, NZ and a small group of Pommies in the north of England.

No real competition from any other European, Middle Eastern, African, Asian, American or South American nations. Basically the whole of the rest of the world couldn't give a toss and we as a code have done very little to change that and actually even dismissed great opportunities like the one I posted about in China in a Province of 27 million people and getting our game in all the universities there for virtually no money down. China would nave been a massive coup for our sport and a decade or two down the road we would have seen some massive offshoots. Oh well another one bites the dust.

With all the multi cultural background that Australia has, until we start to play those other nations in bona fide games against quality opposition, internationals will always struggle to ignite the passions of our nation as a whole. The game of RL will always remain an international irrelevancy until, if ever, the powers that be keep ignoring it. People love competition that matters and especially against the bigger nations that so many Aussies can identify with.

The Pacific Islands are a great start, but now we need to think bigger. China and Russia should both be our next objective. Both relatively young to international sport, both super powers that have huge populations and would be very inexpensive compared to other more established nations to forge a foothold in. Also these two nations are natural rivals so it would bring a wonderful new complexity to the games and guarantee huge interest within their nations if we were successful in getting it up and running, which I am very confident that we could if we were strategic and smart about it. Both nations were ready a decade or so ago but we dropped the ball then. Lets hope that it isn't to late and someone at head office with clout finally wakes up to what we should be perusing and invests a little time and effort in making this happen for the good of the game and more players, revenue and new fans then ever before could actually be a reality.

We can dream I suppose.

TheRam

Coach
Massive TV numbers for the Women's World Cup. Huge crowd for the Matildas, national treasures.

Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide are really holding themselves back not wanting to play a big part in this event. Brisbane and Sydney set to reap the rewards.

Get decent stadium infrastructure next time.

I wish the NRL had such considerable muscle. We on the other hand have to bend over and offer up our best stadiums with no compensation, to a sport that is our rival and host their micky mouse tournament. To a bunch of girls that can't even play all that well either. We are so weak!

I hope one day we have enough power and strength to make demands at the very least when we lose our grounds to these interlopers that only help our rivals. The AFL isn't silly.

I wish the NRL had such considerable muscle. We on the other hand have to bend over and offer up our best stadiums with no compensation, to a sport that is our rival and host their micky mouse tournament. To a bunch of girls that can't even play all that well either. We are so weak!

I hope one day we have enough power and strength to make demands at the very least when we lose our grounds to these interlopers that only help our rivals. The AFL isn't silly.
When does a sport played in summer become our rival? I get why you’re pissed of but I’ll gladly take the stadium hit if a successful women’s tournament means we impress the FIFA enough to give us the men’s WC gig. That’ll ensure Accor gets fixed proper as well as world class rectangular stadia across the country which will have the AFL feeling nervous. Sure, it’s a long shot but there’s so much to gain at very little cost. Were you really bothered by Souths taking their home game to Sunny Coast last night or that Roosters are back at the ShitCG?

Forget us having the same political clout as the AFL. We simply don’t have the same corporate muscle because we don’t have the private school ties. Also, don’t overlook the fact that they share a field with cricket which means a stadium gets year-round use giving them a good business case to push for upgrades or even rebuilds. We need to be smarter and build a similar relationship with soccer. A summer sport in this country.

Pneuma

First Grade
I’m deeply amused by the favourable comparisons between the mcg and Marvel to Accor stadium. The two Victorian stadiums have a disproportionate number of shifty seats as they are ovals. Accor has some shitty seats because it’s so bloody big but nowhere near as many as the other two. That’s a fact. To say otherwise is pretty bloody silly. The fact some here think that the pinnacle of our game, state of origin, should be played on grounds designed for afl spectators says so much about why our game has been hindered in its growth. Small minds and all that hey?

TheRam

Coach
When does a sport played in summer become our rival? I get why you’re pissed of but I’ll gladly take the stadium hit if a successful women’s tournament means we impress the FIFA enough to give us the men’s WC gig. That’ll ensure Accor gets fixed proper as well as world class rectangular stadia across the country which will have the AFL feeling nervous. Sure, it’s a long shot but there’s so much to gain at very little cost. Were you really bothered by Souths taking their home game to Sunny Coast last night or that Roosters are back at the ShitCG?

Forget us having the same political clout as the AFL. We simply don’t have the same corporate muscle because we don’t have the private school ties. Also, don’t overlook the fact that they share a field with cricket which means a stadium gets year-round use giving them a good business case to push for upgrades or even rebuilds. We need to be smarter and build a similar relationship with soccer. A summer sport in this country.

Only watch part of the Souths game, then lost interest due to it looking like small time football once the Broncos started their domination and I didn't watch any of the Roosters clash as soon as I realised that it was being played at that abomination of a ground for RL and I was really looking forward to watch that one at the SFS.

But I do get you point, I just don't think it will ever happen us getting the Men's World Cup, and by the time we do if ever, we will have sorted out most of our stadium problems on the cheap and they will run with most of what we've got anyway.

That's just what happens to us and RL every time. What you think we are the AFL and have people in high places that are just itching to give us everything we want at the drop of a hat? No way mate, we are the dumb arse RL that begs for the scraps and gets a couple of crumbs and a few kicks to the face instead.