What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I read on Austadiums and a few other places that the old stand at Perth nib/HCF is heritage listed. Does that impact the viability of upgrading that side of the ground?

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
I read on Austadiums and a few other places that the old stand at Perth nib/HCF is heritage listed. Does that impact the viability of upgrading that side of the ground?
It's certainly a speed hump but it's far from impossible to remove from the heritage registry, the Moreten Bay Fig Trees are also heritage listed and they'd be what the Perth public would want retained.
The numerous concepts and masterplans presented since the mid 2000's all have the current Western Stand demolished and replaced.
What really stopped the commencement of "Stage 3 of the Perth Oval Redevelopment" was the decline in Perth Glory and Western Force attendance, the financial insecurity of both, and the debacle that was the 2013 NRL non-expansion. The WA Gov was left embarrassed over the NRL's expansion cold feet. All that put together, along with the dire circumstances of the Glory and Force in the 10 years since is why there's no movement yet on Stage 3. I chatted with former Glory Coach Kenny Lowe about it and he said it would have been fantastic but it was never raise during his tenure.
Only the securing of a Perth NRL team will put a new Western Stand back on the agenda. Without the NRL, it's not viable. Not even the FIFA women's world cup changed that. I'm nervous the $35 million put into the ground for the world cup (which included new players facilities) will be used as an excuse to not do anything for the next decade. The NRL needs to demand that a new Western Stand is a non-negotiable requirement for Perth to get a new club or a relocated club.
Heritage? Lol. It's a f**king grandstand ffs and not actually that old!
67 years old. Post-War local vernacular civic Architecture. There are 2 similar Grandstands at other WAFL grounds; Leederville Oval and Lathlain Park. But the latter is due to be demolished and replaced for the Perth Football Club and the West Coast Eagles women's team.
Didn't stop them from blowing up Subiaco Oval which was also on the heritage list
Only the 1935 Gates and Turnstiles were Heritage listed at Subiaco Oval, they've been retained and restored. The oldest part of Subi stadium in its final form was the 1969 concrete cancer riddled 3-tier stand.
Move it like the did the old stand at the SCG
That'd be awesome if they could do that, especially considering the stand would be only one of 2 left in Perth, once the Lathlain Oval stand is demolished. Would be great if it could be rebuilt at a Rectangle shaped boutique ground. That could serve as training and reserves ground for a Perth NRL team, and community sports.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It has made starkly obvious the infrastructure deficiencies in certain cities. While rubbishing claims of little justification for high-quality stadiums dedicated to Soccer and the Rugby codes.

The attendance figures in Brisbane, Sydney and Auckland have been absolutely stunning, and wonderful for those cities. And quite frankly embarrassing for self-appointed 'sporting capital' Melbourne to miss out on the big games.

It has been good to shine a light on Perth. For an NRL hopeful they should be offering more than what they currently have. Rather than trying to slide in with a suburban park, capacity less than 20000.

Pneuma

First Grade
It has made starkly obvious the infrastructure deficiencies in certain cities. While rubbishing claims of little justification for high-quality stadiums dedicated to Soccer and the Rugby codes.

The attendance figures in Brisbane, Sydney and Auckland have been absolutely stunning, and wonderful for those cities. And quite frankly embarrassing for self-appointed 'sporting capital' Melbourne to miss out on the big games.

It has been good to shine a light on Perth. For an NRL hopeful they should be offering more than what they currently have. Rather than trying to slide in with a suburban park, capacity less than 20000.
Now for the naysayers!

jim_57

Staff member
I wonder if the success of the World Cup will create leverage for the upgrading of stadiums for rectangle sports? It’s not going to help the fumblers and cricket that’s for sure. Maybe, just maybe, the rah rahs, league and soccer might work together for a common purpose?

Hopefully but fair chance it won’t change much, it brings another rectangular sport to the forefront for now but so did the 2015 Asian Cup. FA probably doesn’t care about new stadiums quite as much as the the NRL. No A-League clubs are pushing capacity and for the Socceroos & Matildas they have plenty of options already from Accor or Suncorp for their big games to a multitude of 20-50k stadiums for the rest.

The NRL have 17 clubs to think of, many of which could do with some stadium upgrades ranging from minor to major. They also have future potential expansion options like Perth, Christchurch or Ipswich to consider as well as keeping an eye on the situation with a number of minor venues where NRL games are occasionally played like Cairns, Sunshine Coast, Darwin etc.

In saying that a commitment for x amount of Socceroos, Wallabies, Matildas and/or Kangaroos games for a new/upgraded stadium for 5-10 years could only help. Even a promise of a one-off Origin game could be used in certain situations like Newcastle or Canberra as a bargaining tool. Football & Union would probably only help where they have club teams but it sure couldn’t hurt having one or both of them on board.

Timbo

Staff member

I don’t think a new or heavily expanded Western stand is really up for debate at all. NIB Park as it is would be fine as an interim venue for a new club, but clearly an upgrade taking it to 22-25k with more corporate facilities would be needed for a permanent NRL side.

WA found $32 million to upgrade the lights and player facilities for a one-off tournament when they only hosted matches in the group stage. I don’t see how a permanent tenant wouldn’t warrant a more significant expansion.

Suitman

Post Whore
FIFA have posted the exact same crowd number for both sellout games at Accor Stadium. Did they have more obstructive view seats they didn’t sell? I wonder if the player dugouts is one reason.

Dunno bud.
Apparently, that is the official FIFA capacity for Stadium Australia for this tournament. Off course media take up a chunk, but not that many less than the official capacity of 83500.
If tickets are oversold, they will still announce that figure, so I've read elsewhere. A bit like Henson Park. :))
The place was absolutely chock full last night so I suspect there was more there than the official attendance figure that was announced. Closer to 80 k I reckon, or maybe even more.