What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Nice stuff

played a few times at Waverley college including a beautiful own goal

poliitis will leave easts with them owning a property portfolio worth hundreds of millions

is it true they bought the land around their lc in Bondi jn ?

Yes they own quite a few properties. They own most if not all the properties on the block that are on Bronte Road,a and quite a few on Spring Street too at Bondi Junction, as welll I believe some on Ebley Street. So that is prime real estate in Bondi Junction -

1691575415980.png

They used to own the tower that is part of the Leagues Club building, but the club had to sell it to pay off debts that Ron Jones left the leagues club with after he was punted from the Secretary's position in the late 1980s/early 1990s - he'd been used to ruling with an iron fist for so long, Jones had let the leagues club get run down and pile up debts too. It really took until late 1994/early 1995 to get the leagues club back on a solid basis financially when the directors were going to look at then going to work on the rugby league club when Super League arrived.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Yes they own quite a few properties. They own most if not all the properties on the block that are on Bronte Road,a and quite a few on Spring Street too at Bondi Junction, as welll I believe some on Ebley Street. So that is prime real estate in Bondi Junction -

View attachment 77884

They used to own the tower that is part of the Leagues Club building, but the club had to sell it to pay off debats that Ron Jones left the leagues club with after he was punted from the Secretary's position in the late 1980s/early 1990s - he'd been used to ruling with an iron fist for so long Jones had let the leagues club get run down and pile up debts too. It really took until late 1994/early 1995 to get the leagues club back on a solid basis finaically when the diorectors were going to look at then going to work on the rugby league club when Super League arrived.
Wonder if they are planning on a new leagues club and residential high rise

so good to read clubs are this cashed up

jim_57

Staff member
Does anyone know if/when Shark Park will hold more than 12k again? What is the end plan for the stadium with all the development going on?

shewi6

Juniors
Does anyone know if/when Shark Park will hold more than 12k again? What is the end plan for the stadium with all the development going on?
I believe it was meant to go to 17k this year but delays on the leagues club pushed it out to next year.

When it's all done not sure it will be any higher than that as some seating was taken out on the western side for the development of the hotel/apartments and the rooftop garden area of the leagues club.

I know there is some initial plans for some works along the western grandstand and northern hill area but obviously it isn't high on the priority list and shark park will never really be a great ground now with the compromised eastern areas.

I guess it must be worth it to the sharks financially on a per game basis but in the future you would think they could make more money by developing the land where the stadium sits, but I don't see that they will ever move to the sfs so who knows what they will do.

shewi6

Juniors
And looking at the stadium site there really doesn't look like a whole lot of room to do any significant upgrades.
Possibly the only thing to do would be to demolish the eastern grandstand and build a steep single tier stand (think CBUS) stretching along the eastern and northern sides but then you would get a weird mix of one half modern stadium with the other half small and compromised.
That's assuming they can get the 100m funding something like that requires and you have to think at that stage, 'What is the point?.

jim_57

Staff member
I believe it was meant to go to 17k this year but delays on the leagues club pushed it out to next year.

When it's all done not sure it will be any higher than that as some seating was taken out on the western side for the development of the hotel/apartments and the rooftop garden area of the leagues club.

I know there is some initial plans for some works along the western grandstand and northern hill area but obviously it isn't high on the priority list and shark park will never really be a great ground now with the compromised eastern areas.

I guess it must be worth it to the sharks financially on a per game basis but in the future you would think they could make more money by developing the land where the stadium sits, but I don't see that they will ever move to the sfs so who knows what they will do.

Thanks. Interesting situation, at least it should get back to a better capacity soon. Long term who knows, if it stays at 17-18k they’re effectively limiting themselves to being bottom 3-4 of the crowd averages every year but that’s not the end of the world for them I’m sure.

bazza

Immortal
Thanks. Interesting situation, at least it should get back to a better capacity soon. Long term who knows, if it stays at 17-18k they’re effectively limiting themselves to being bottom 3-4 of the crowd averages every year but that’s not the end of the world for them I’m sure.
I think 15k might be enough for many clubs provided that they also have good corporate facilities
Best is that they can increase prices as tickets get harder to come by (assuming that they also have a decent amount of members)
Then 1 or 2 games at the SFS/Homebush per year to get a few of the casual fans in

siv

First Grade
Not sure why people think 17k is ok

22.5k should be a minimum NRL home venue standard, 4 dressing rooms and 10k undercover seating

beave

Coach
And looking at the stadium site there really doesn't look like a whole lot of room to do any significant upgrades.
Possibly the only thing to do would be to demolish the eastern grandstand and build a steep single tier stand (think CBUS) stretching along the eastern and northern sides but then you would get a weird mix of one half modern stadium with the other half small and compromised.
That's assuming they can get the 100m funding something like that requires and you have to think at that stage, 'What is the point?.

You getting your east and west sides mixed up?

bazza

Immortal
Not sure why people think 17k is ok

22.5k should be a minimum NRL home venue standard, 4 dressing rooms and 10k undercover seating
would be happy for Sydney teams for somewhere between 15 - 20k with at least 15k undercover seating on the provision that they take 2 or so games to SFS or Homebush

beave

Coach
Sure did lol
haha, all good!!!

IMO a Wollongong replica west stand going from dead ball line to dead ball line is about all you can really do there, that stand holds 6k people and would probably take the capacity up to 18-20k once the whole place is re-opened properly.

siv

First Grade
would be happy for Sydney teams for somewhere between 15 - 20k with at least 15k undercover seating on the provision that they take 2 or so games to SFS or Homebush
All Sydney venues used to 20-23k

Then they reduced these capacities to 17-18k