What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

jim_57

Staff member
would be happy for Sydney teams for somewhere between 15 - 20k with at least 15k undercover seating on the provision that they take 2 or so games to SFS or Homebush

That’s probably as good as it will get anytime soon for Sharks, Dragons (Kogarah), Tigers & Manly. I doubt Sharks or Manly will take any games to the SFS unless they’re given some decent incentives. Tigers who knows what’s best for them anymore, it sure isn’t playing at 7 different home grounds a year though.

Dragons I’ve always thought would be the best fit for what you’re suggesting, essentially doing what Geelong do in the AFL and playing 9-10 games in Wollongong and 2-3 big games at the SFS every year.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
haha, all good!!!

IMO a Wollongong replica west stand going from dead ball line to dead ball line is about all you can really do there, that stand holds 6k people and would probably take the capacity up to 18-20k once the whole place is re-opened properly.
That’s be an improvement but really that leagues club side is a joke for a first grade venue and likely always will be

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
think due to health and safety on the hills
That’s been a worldwide thing, the shift from standing terraces and hills to seating has reduced the capacity at just about every major stadium at some point, unless it coincided with a seriously large stand being constructed.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Thanks. Interesting situation, at least it should get back to a better capacity soon. Long term who knows, if it stays at 17-18k they’re effectively limiting themselves to being bottom 3-4 of the crowd averages every year but that’s not the end of the world for them I’m sure.
Having a brand new Leagues club connected to the stadium will be very profitable for pre and post drinks.

siv

First Grade
think due to health and safety on the hills
And they added isles and walking barriors, which block views in prime seating areas. Which are way bigger that seated isles and what you never need past 30% of the way up a hill for one person to walk

Your not supposed to walk around during FG on a hill, thats why you get there early

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I read on Austadiums and a few other places that the old stand at Perth nib/HCF is heritage listed. Does that impact the viability of upgrading that side of the ground?
The front gates are heritage listed, but dont impact the stadium rebuild.
The west stand has a heritage ‘significance’ though tbh it’s an eyesore and I doubt there’d be any problem or complaints if it was replaced.
there are some established fig trees along that west side which could be more problematic to remove To make way for New stand.

when the 2012 refurb was announced the sports were demanding a new corporate west stand but the govt wanted to appease the fans and build a new fan focused east Stand. Govt won out.

bazza

Immortal
so I think there should be a concerted effort from the rectangular code sports to push the ACT to build a new stadium in Canberra

Besides the promise of regular Raiders and Brumbies games they could also offer at least 2 internationals in the first 5 years for Kangaroos, Wallabies, Socceroos and Matildas

Wb1234

Referee
so I think there should be a concerted effort from the rectangular code sports to push the ACT to build a new stadium in Canberra

Besides the promise of regular Raiders and Brumbies games they could also offer at least 2 internationals in the first 5 years for Kangaroos, Wallabies, Socceroos and Matildas
A league looking at a team in canb

It's Been Done

Juniors

There's also the growing possibility that there might be a bid for the 2034 World Cup. Which would mean they'll have to make provision for up to 40k patrons should the bid be successful

Steel Saints

Juniors

Women’s Origin is building up nicely

jim_57

Staff member
Left field idea looking at Mt Smart, for the Northern end where they currently do their fan zone, could they keep that area clear on ground level and build an elevated stand over the top for extra seating? Keeps the popular game day experience of the “open” end with what appeared to be food trucks and standing room while still allowing for it to be used for seating.

Build that and wrap the North, South & Easts stands around if you’ve got a very good 30k+ stadium. Not sure if possible or affordable but it would be somewhat unique.

jim_57

Staff member

It would be great if a coordinated effort like that could be put together from the rectangular codes. An A-league team could only help too.

Raiders play 11 games and Brumbies 5-6 currently at Bruce. If you add even 1 game each for Socceroos, Matildaa, Wallabies & Kangaroos guaranteed for 5 or 10 years that is roughly a 25% increase in guaranteed content and big crowd content at that. To be honest if it helped get it across the line a one off Origin game would be good too.

T-Boon

Coach
Is Optus as bad to watch a game as stadium Australia is?
I’ve watched about 15 or 20 games of RL at SA - it is so bad that it’s actually a total negative. I would rather a sports fan kicking the tyres on the game never go there. If Optus is like that then forget about expansion over there.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Is Optus as bad to watch a game as stadium Australia is?
I’ve watched about 15 or 20 games of RL at SA - it is so bad that it’s actually a total negative. I would rather a sports fan kicking the tyres on the game never go there. If Optus is like that then forget about expansion over there.
Optus won’t be the home ground.

Latest posts