What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Canard

Immortal
In 2006 or 2007, then Victorian Premier Steve Bracks announced a $190 million, 20,000 seater stadium. However, at the time Victory were getting crowds in excess of 30,000 at Docklands.

So eventually Victory agreed to go to new rectangular ground with the capacity increase of 30,000, at a cost of $268 million, and it has the foundations in place to expand to 50,000.

But thanks to the bio frame roof, expanding the stadium is expensive. The thing is AAMI Park was supposed to be that 50k stadium in the future. Meanwhile the Storm is averaging over 18k. Just as well AAMI wasn't built at 20,000 initially, otherwise Storm's growth as a club would be fairly limited right now.

But what happens if down the track, the Storm's averaging close to 30k?
Then a new stadium can be looked at.

But I fail to see why the Storm should be expected to deliver a rectangular stadium bigger then any in Sydney, with the view that they may have crowds twice the size of any other NRL team. There current stadium is barely 10 years old.

It's trolling or dreaming.

Pneuma

First Grade
My mistake, I thought you were being serious.

Well played.
I am serious. I’m just not going to bother writing war and peace in response to your post just so you can disagree. If you can’t see the legitimacy of a 50000 seat stadium for three major codes including the biggest sport in the world in a city the size of Melbourne then I’m not interested in arguing the toss.

Timbo

Staff member
Then a new stadium can be looked at.

But I fail to see why the Storm should be expected to deliver a rectangular stadium bigger then any in Sydney, with the view that they may have crowds twice the size of any other NRL team. There current stadium is barely 10 years old.

It's trolling or dreaming.

It seems to be based on some sort of delusion that fans will fill a certain percentage of a stadiums capacity relative to the number itself.

IE the Storm are averaging 15,000 because they have a 30,000 seat stadium. If they had a 50,000 seat stadium they'd average 25,000.

This of course ignores that Souths don't average 40,000 in their 80,0000 seat stadium.

Wb1234

Referee
It seems to be based on some sort of delusion that fans will fill a certain percentage of a stadiums capacity relative to the number itself.

IE the Storm are averaging 15,000 because they have a 30,000 seat stadium. If they had a 50,000 seat stadium they'd average 25,000.

This of course ignores that Souths don't average 40,000 in their 80,0000 seat stadium.
I suspect in bigger stadia average ticket prices are less and that what leads to higher crowds

Timbo

Staff member
I suspect in bigger stadia average ticket prices are less and that what leads to higher crowds

Then explain why Souths and the Roosters aren't averaging 25-35k.

It's also not the case that they're cheaper. Larger stadiums cost more money to run, opening them costs more money which means clubs have to charge more to pay their bills.

Wb1234

Referee

It's also not the case that they're cheaper. Larger stadiums cost more money to run, opening them costs more money which means clubs have to charge more to pay their bills.
I generally agree with what you’ve said

but storm crowds are larger at marvel

accor is a rubbish tip

roosters crowds are larger due to the stadium

Wb1234

Referee

I’ve paid close to a hundred dollars to sit in the Jane try stand near the halfway line

different stadia have different rental deals with clubs

Timbo

Staff member

accor is a rubbish tip

The Storm have played two games at Marvel in the last thirteen years. Hell of a sample size you're going with there.

Timbo

Staff member
Lmaoooo

maybe you should do a phd on this

Before their two games this year, the Storm's last game at Marvel was on April 25, 2010.

In their entire history, Melbourne have played exactly one game at Marvel that wouldn't have fit into AAMI Park with several thousand seats to spare - a Preliminary Final. Which had 33,000.

Their next highest crowd all-time at Marvel had 27,000, a full 3,000 seats under the capacity of AAMI Park.

But sure - lets keep pushing the narriative that Melbourne needs a bigger rectangular stadium. Makes a huge amount of sense based off the data.

jim_57

Staff member

accor is a rubbish tip

There were probably a few reasons behind Storm getting larger crowds at Marvel this year. The Storm did their best to get good crowds in, they did a $35 for 2 games GA package, 2 games GA at AAMI is $70 for an adult or $65 for the 2 game GA membership. Also a bit of novelty factor was there that wouldn’t last past a couple games.

If they were to move permanently to Marvel or a new 50k stadium that $35 deal wouldn’t be on the table anymore. They probably could do something about the pricing of their tickets in the top corners at AAMI for $65 adult as those always seem to be empty.

Wb1234

Referee
There were probably a few reasons behind Storm getting larger crowds at Marvel this year. The Storm did their best to get good crowds in, they did a $35 for 2 games GA package, 2 games GA at AAMI is $70 for an adult or $65 for the 2 game GA membership. Also a bit of novelty factor was there that wouldn’t last past a couple games.

If they were to move permanently to Marvel or a new 50k stadium that $35 deal wouldn’t be on the table anymore. They probably could do something about the pricing of their tickets in the top corners at AAMI for $65 adult as those always seem to be empty.
Yeh I said large crowds were due to cheaper prices

jim_57

Staff member
Yeh I said large crowds were due to cheaper prices

Yeh I’m saying those prices wouldn’t be on offer for a full time move to a larger stadium, it was a deal to try and fill out Marvel a bit more since they had to play elsewhere.

AAMI’s GA is nearly double that. If they make the price gap too large between GA & Gold/Silver for every game they’d lose money on Diamond/Gold/Silver sales, all for the sake of maybe getting slightly bigger crowds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh I’m saying those prices wouldn’t be on offer for a full time move to a larger stadium, it was a deal to try and fill out Marvel a bit more since they had to play elsewhere.

AAMI’s GA is nearly double that. If they make the price gap too large between GA & Gold/Silver for every game they’d lose money on Diamond/Gold/Silver sales, all for the sake of maybe getting slightly bigger crowds.
I wish theyd make the main stand facing the cameras cheaper at AAMi, looks bit sht when the stand is empty but theres 60% capacity in the ground. The gap between ends and that stand is too big price wise.

Storm are overpriced generally in a city where we are still trying to grow the game and that they can get 18k avg is a good thing given their ticket prices
(GA $40, main stand $80 + $6.30 ticketing service fee)

Pneuma

First Grade

Thanks for telling us what we think. How high and mighty you must be.

Pneuma

First Grade

Before their two games this year, the Storm's last game at Marvel was on April 25, 2010.

In their entire history, Melbourne have played exactly one game at Marvel that wouldn't have fit into AAMI Park with several thousand seats to spare - a Preliminary Final. Which had 33,000.

Their next highest crowd all-time at Marvel had 27,000, a full 3,000 seats under the capacity of AAMI Park.

But sure - let’s keep pushing the narriative that Melbourne needs a bigger rectangular stadium. Makes a huge amount of sense based off the data.
Ffs this is about a city of 5 million having a rectangular stadium for three major codes who have a strong presence in the city. There is no suitable venue in Melbourne over 30000 capacity. That’s just stupid. Every time there is a Socceroo match, rugby test or origin game it’s held in a second rate facility for rectangle sports. Having a stadium of 50000 capacity for these codes opens the door for more opportunities for major games to be played there. I’m starting to wonder about you guys.