What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Canard

Immortal
I suspect in bigger stadia average ticket prices are less and that what leads to higher crowds
There were probably a few reasons behind Storm getting larger crowds at Marvel this year. The Storm did their best to get good crowds in, they did a $35 for 2 games GA package, 2 games GA at AAMI is $70 for an adult or $65 for the 2 game GA membership. Also a bit of novelty factor was there that wouldn’t last past a couple games.

If they were to move permanently to Marvel or a new 50k stadium that $35 deal wouldn’t be on the table anymore. They probably could do something about the pricing of their tickets in the top corners at AAMI for $65 adult as those always seem to be empty.

And by using the logic (which I understand is trolling), you could say the Storm should play all games at oval stadia going forward due to the large crowds they have attracted at Marvel.

But that would be f**king stupid.

TheRam

Coach
In 2006 or 2007, then Victorian Premier Steve Bracks announced a $190 million, 20,000 seater stadium. However, at the time Victory were getting crowds in excess of 30,000 at Docklands.

So eventually Victory agreed to go to new rectangular ground with the capacity increase of 30,000, at a cost of $268 million, and it has the foundations in place to expand to 50,000.

But thanks to the bio frame roof, expanding the stadium is expensive. The thing is AAMI Park was supposed to be that 50k stadium in the future. Meanwhile the Storm is averaging over 18k. Just as well AAMI wasn't built at 20,000 initially, otherwise Storm's growth as a club would be fairly limited right now.

But what happens if down the track, the Storm's averaging close to 30k?

It won't happen unless they can get their junior development to the point that there are quality juniors coming through in decent numbers every year that are from Mel/Victoria.

And secondly you can't get an average of 30K crowds if you are playing in a 30K stadium. The best you could do is maybe 23-25K, unless you take a few games to a larger venue to boost the average.

The Storm are at least a decade away if not maybe even never away of producing quality juniors from their home State. I mean they have had over quarter of a century and they have produced virtually nothing. Why does anyone think that this will improve anytime soon?

Pneuma

First Grade
It won't happen unless they can get their junior development to the point that there are quality juniors coming through in decent numbers every year that are from Mel/Victoria.

And secondly you can't get an average of 30K crowds if you are playing in a 30K stadium. The best you could do is maybe 23-25K, unless you take a few games to a larger venue to boost the average.

The Storm are at least a decade away if not maybe even never away of producing quality juniors from their home State. I mean they have had over quarter of a century and they have produced virtually nothing. Why does anyone think that this will improve anytime soon?
Probably because they are producing their own juniors now

jim_57

Staff member

How can they make the mcg rectangular ? Lmao

“it’s been done in the past”. Is he talking about when it’s hosted Origin or Wallabies and they’ve made the pitch rectangular?

Aside from that it is interesting to see talk of a 2034 World Cup bid starting up already.

Pneuma

First Grade
“it’s been done in the past”. Is he talking about when it’s hosted Origin or Wallabies and they’ve made the pitch rectangular?
No idea. I’ve been to origin and rugby tests and it’s been an oval unless I missed something. If he is saying the vic government will allow the ground to be configurable to a rectangle ground then it makes quite a few people here look quite silly. The whole point of the World Cup for me was that it showed up the fumbler states for the narrow minded pricks they are. And it showed up a few here who in a future nrl stadiums thread argue against grounds for nrl rugby and soccer with increased capacity in fumbler states.

Wb1234

Referee

Aside from that it is interesting to see talk of a 2034 World Cup bid starting up already.
Or getting confused with marvel rectangular mode ?

jim_57

Staff member
No idea. I’ve been to origin and rugby tests and it’s been an oval unless I missed something. If he is saying the vic government will allow the ground to be configurable to a rectangle ground then it makes quite a few people here look quite silly. The whole point of the World Cup for me was that it showed up the fumbler states for the narrow minded pricks they are. And it showed up a few here who in a future nrl stadiums thread argue against grounds for nrl rugby and soccer with increased capacity in fumbler states.

He might be hinting at them making the grandstand they’re rebuilding soon moveable like Marvel/Accor, no idea how advanced plans are for that though or it’s even possible. Just as likely he is talking about the fact it has been used for rectangular sports before to justify it.

A successful WC bid might actually be able get a rebuild of AAMI to 40-50k over the line, depending how seriously they take it. Hopefully by then Storm could be averaging 25k and hopefully if it is built they can incorporate a club mode to curtain off the top tier. Probably more likely they double down on trying to wedge all of MCG, Optus, Marvel & Adelaide Oval in there and the bid fails again.

Pneuma

First Grade
He might be hinting at them making the grandstand they’re rebuilding soon moveable like Marvel/Accor, no idea how advanced plans are for that though or it’s even possible. Just as likely he is talking about the fact it has been used for rectangular sports before to justify it.

A successful WC bid might actually be able get a rebuild of AAMI to 40-50k over the line, depending how seriously they take it. Hopefully by then Storm could be averaging 25k and hopefully if it is built they can incorporate a club mode to curtain off the top tier. Probably more likely they double down on trying to wedge all of MCG, Optus, Marvel & Adelaide Oval in there and the bid fails again.
All great thoughts.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

That’s actually realistic. Accept you won’t get the final, redevelop AAMI and at least get a bunch of games there.

Canard

Immortal
There is absolutely no chance of this.

How can they make the mcg rectangular ? Lmao
If true, I can’t see how this will help the Australian WC pitch as part of the criteria sits around legacy. Given the MCG will eventually be reconfigured again for the fumblers, they might struggle to explain how this benefits soccer in the future. Qatar for example had a stadium (the shipping container one?) they could dismantle and donate to a poor country as part of their legacy pitch. If 100k capacity is important then Accor could also revert back to Olympic mode. Either way, as shit as it is, Accor is better for football than the MCG.

Latest posts