What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

MugaB

Coach
Incorrect. Fifa has very strict guidelines on which stadiums can be used for World Cup matches . This includes how far the seats are from the centre of the pitch. If any seats fall outside this distance the stadium is ineligible to host matches.

This is why the MCG, and every other cricket oval will never be compliant.
Thats small potatoes, i get they'd prefer rectangular stadiums, the major issue is grabbing as much money as humanly possible, thats their MO

King-Gutho94

Coach
Our time zone kills any Men's World Cup dead from a TV perspective.
Depends on the market I was in Europe & Canada during the women's world cup.

With UK night games were starting at 11am in the morning. But a 3pm/2pm kickoff would start at 5am/6am so you catch everyone before they go work.

Then in Canada and being in the same timezone as USA and South America well it sucks for them. All the Aussie games for me were at 4am in the morning. All the bars were shut by then.

But at end of the day people will find a way to watch no matter the time of the game.

Depends on the market I was in Europe & Canada during the women's world cup.

With UK night games were starting at 11am in the morning. But a 3pm/2pm kickoff would start at 5am/6am so you catch everyone before they go work.

Then in Canada and being in the same timezone as USA and South America well it sucks for them. All the Aussie games for me were at 4am in the morning. All the bars were shut by then.

But at end of the day people will find a way to watch no matter the time of the game.

Yep. Also it hasn't stopped Australia from hosting things like the Olympic Games. TV networks world wide paid big money to televise them. Hasn't stopped them coming back in 2032 for the games in Brisbane. I don't think the time zone argument works much any more as people don't watch television soley on free to air networks at times solely determined by the networks as to when they will televise them.

If time zone issues were the big impediment, then the FIFA World Cup and the Olympics would only have ever been held in North America or Europe.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Incorrect. Fifa has very strict guidelines on which stadiums can be used for World Cup matches . This includes how far the seats are from the centre of the pitch. If any seats fall outside this distance the stadium is ineligible to host matches.

This is why the MCG, and every other cricket oval will never be compliant.
Drop in seats solves that, its front row to centre so drop in seats in solves that requirement. Optus, Marvel and presumably the new gabba have those facilities

Timbo

Staff member
Ffs this is about a city of 5 million having a rectangular stadium for three major codes who have a strong presence in the city. There is no suitable venue in Melbourne over 30000 capacity. That’s just stupid. Every time there is a Socceroo match, rugby test or origin game it’s held in a second rate facility for rectangle sports. Having a stadium of 50000 capacity for these codes opens the door for more opportunities for major games to be played there. I’m starting to wonder about you guys.

What. Major. Games. Is. It. Missing. Out. On.

It has teams in the top three rectangular sports leagues in the country. It regularly hosts State of Origin, Wallabies and Socceroos tests. What in the name of crikey f**k are you talking about?

The sheer delusion of some people on here, that places like Perth and Melbourne should spend half a billion plus on a theoretical venue that may be used once every blue moon when they have venues that are already above that capacity, but, oh noes! They're ovals!

You sound like a bunch of toddlers upset because your mum gave you the wrong flavour ice cream. Oval field sports are more popular in those states. Their main stadiums are always going to be ovals. For the once a year event - origin, Wallabies, Socceroos, etc - it's not unreasonable to say 'ok, we move to an oval for a one off event and maintain our club ground for the week-to-week stuff'.

You're just in the realms of fantasy. Beyond f**king fantasy.

I tell you what, go stand on the side of the road in St. Kilda, Glenelg or Freemantle. Ask 1000 passers by if they would endorse their state government spending $500 million on a 40,000 seat stadium exclusively for soccer and the rugby codes. Should you get even 10% of them saying, yes, I endorse this course of action, I'll back down.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
World cup, stadium requirements.

Must have 14 stadiums that fit the below criteria:

Group Stages: Must have a minimum capacity of 40000.

Quarter and semi finals: Must have a minimum capacity of 60000.

Final and opening ceremony: Must have a minimal capacity of 80000.

Australia have 8, 5 of whom are ovals. Probably not going to happen.

There are more criteria than just stadiums as well.

Steel Saints

Juniors
A men's world cup held in Australia and New Zealand may not be ideal for Europe, North America or South America, but it could make up for it with viewing numbers from Asian countries like China, Japan etc.

However, In the recent WWC, there was some "creativity" with a few of the kick off times. Allianz stadium had a couple of games kicking off at midday. USA had a couple of games in NZ, starting at 1pm, 11am Australian Eastern Standard Time. While Argentina played against South Africa in NZ, kicking off 10am, AEST.

Those kick off times were certainly more suitable for the North American and South American audiences because it was prime time.

So maybe in the men's world cup, have a regular 10am AEST timeslot, where a game could kick off at midday in NZ, and cater for the North American and South American continents.

In Qatar, matches began 10pm at night. So in Australia, you could schedule games at that time of night, or a tad later. Also, you could take advantage of Perth's time zone. This is to cater for the European time zone, where fans could watch the games in the mid to late afternoon over there.

There will be four games per day. And I somehow doubt the schedule times will be similar to Fox League's Super Saturday, which is 3pm, 5:30pm or 7:30pm.

Australia and New Zealand need to work on the schedule times as part of the bid, just so they could accommodate Europe, North America and South America as much as possible.

Wb1234

Referee
If they bid after the Olympic Games are on that would help their chances

it’s too close to the brisbane Olympics

Timbo

Staff member
This, mind you, is for a theoretical event we haven’t even bid on yet.

Not to mention FIFA rotates the events between confederations. And the next time Asia is due we’ll be up against places like Japan and South Korea because it’ll be three decades since they last hosted. And the Saudis are sportswashing like crazy.

Anyone think we can outbid the Saudis when it comes to how keen they are to splash money around to host sports events? They basically just bought the sport of Golf.

Wb1234

Referee
This, mind you, is for a theoretical event we haven’t even bid on yet.

Not to mention FIFA rotates the events between confederations. And the next time Asia is due we’ll be up against places like Japan and South Korea because it’ll be three decades since they last hosted. And the Saudis are sportswashing like crazy.

Anyone think we can outbid the Saudis when it comes to how keen they are to splash money around to host sports events? They basically just bought the sport of Golf.
And the premier league is facing a similar threat

anyone thinking afl states should build 40 to 80k rectangular stadia just to host a single World Cup is trolling

nobody can be that dumb

t-ba

Post Whore
If China went in seriously for a world cup that time zone isn't stopping FIFA handing it over to them in a heartbeat on account of the fact they don't want to lose any more ground to basketball there.

Pjf04b

Juniors
FIFA is also talking of having 64 teams in the next world cup. There is no way we could accommodate 64 teams, officials and fans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No it doesn't. Not even close.
From a fifa requirement point of view yes it would. And in fact I can’t find any specific requirement. It talks about optimal distances, not that a stadium would be considered inadequate if not optimal.

2.3.1 BOWL LAYOUT​

The starting point of any stadium bowl design is to define the stadium’s capacity, which should be reviewed in terms of both gross and net capacities. Further details on the calculation of stadium capacities is provided later in this section.

The optimum viewing distance for seats in the stadium bowl is within an arc of 150m from the far corner of the pitch, and the maximum distance is within an arc of 190m from the far corner of the pitch. Where possible, the footprint of the stadium bowl should not exceed the optimum or maximum viewing distances.