What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

jim_57

Staff member
Allianz opened only a year ago and cost $828mill for a bells and whistles 42,500 stadium.

Penrith didnt need to be as good as commbank. Not sure how much paceway was going to cost to purchase be geez thats some inflation on the cost of Allianz!

Construction is out of control in this country. They are building this amazing 60k stadium and surrounding sports area in Hong Kong for $600mill Aus

It sounds like an exaggerated figure to use as an excuse for Penrith not getting anywhere near why was originally planned. Construction prices have gone up but not tripled surely.

Timbo

Staff member
$309 million is still a very decent amont for one club to recieve. Manly's Northern Stand cost $32.5 million.

You'd imagine a fairly solid rebuild for the majority of the stadium will come from that.

Timbo

Staff member
Allianz opened only a year ago and cost $828mill for a bells and whistles 42,500 stadium.

Penrith didnt need to be as good as commbank. Not sure how much paceway was going to cost to purchase be geez thats some inflation on the cost of Allianz!

Construction is out of control in this country. They are building this amazing 60k stadium and surrounding sports area in Hong Kong for $600mill Aus

It helps when the government is actively importing underpaid, underqualified workers who are effective slave labour to appease the business side and keep costs down:

https://hongkongfp.com/2023/06/14/hong-kong-seeks-to-import-20000-workers-amid-labour-shortage-in-construction-and-transport-sectors/

bazza

Immortal

we don't import slaves to build stadiums in Australia

Optus has the ability to add in an extra 5000 seats but for both sell out origins they havent used it. Makes no sense.

Having watched Easts play at the SCG for four years, those seats brought forward don’t appear to be much closer so I’m sceptical at the viewing experience but agree, not using them makes no sense.

beave

Coach
$309 million is still a very decent amont for one club to recieve. Manly's Northern Stand cost $32.5 million.

You'd imagine a fairly solid rebuild for the majority of the stadium will come from that.

$309 mil is only $10mil short of what QCB in Tvl cost in total.

Crazy to think that sort of money only gets you a refurb now..........

Last edited:
$309 mil is only $10mil short of what QCB in Tvl cost in total.

Crazy to think that sort of money only gets you a refurb now..........

It is far easier, and cheaper, to build a new facility on unoccupied land than it is to refurbish an existing structure. You don't have to work around existing structures, which may have things in them that are not shown on any available building plans.

For example, my workplace, which is an a building built in the early 19th century, has been undergoing major renovations since December 2022 which won't finish until August 2024. This has gone up due to unexpected problems encountered in renovating (e.g. finding previously unknown asbestos lining in certain wall and ceiling cavity spaces) which then extends the time for the renovations to deal with those issues, and thus increasing costs.

Its similar to what happened with the Sydney East Light Rail, the costs blew out as they had a whole heap of unmapped utilities under George Street they had to relocate (e.g. water pipes, electrical conduits).

Wb1234

Referee
It is far easier, and cheaper, to build a new facility on unoccupied land than it is to refurbish an existing structure. You don't have to work around existing structures, which may have things in them that are not shown on any available building plans.

For example, my workplace, which is an a building built in the early 19th century, has been undergoing major renovations since December 2022 which won't finish until August 2024. This has gone up due to unexpected problems encountered in renovating (e.g. finding previously unknown asbestos lining in certain wall and ceiling cavity spaces) which then extends the time for the renovations to deal with those issues, and thus increasing costs.

Its similar to what happened with the Sydney East Light Rail, the costs blew out as they had a whole heap of unmapped utilities under George Street they had to relocate (e.g. water pipes, electrical conduits).
Dial before you dig lol

beave

Coach

Yeah understand all that mate.

But you have to remember with QCB, the shit required for it to pass the cyclone requirements is quite substantial and far beyond what you need down south and would have added a fair bit to the design and cost and even then it was only $10mil more than the lippy on a pig route they're now going with Penrith.

If only there was land somewhere else in Penrith where a new joint could be built and avoid the paceway clownery?

Timbo

Staff member
Let’s wait for designs before we pass judgement on Penrith. $309 million is not nothing.

Marlins

Juniors
Let’s wait for designs before we pass judgement on Penrith. $309 million is not nothing.
By the way the Labor governments playing this the Penrith Stadium will get nothing. It’ll keep getting pushed back until The Liberals get back in. Anyway, Penrith would be better off waiting then getting $200m worth of lipstick and a couple of new Dunny’s. Imo if Penrith get half a job done now, that’ll be it for 20-40 years. Why wouldn’t anyone here want a proper job done?

Suitman

Post Whore

Yes, it is.
Stadiums can be designed cheaply. Flat pack style. Like the Gold Coast.
It's then not expensive to build a dozen toilet blocks and food outlets beneath them.
The major problem is that this is a govt project. Governments have no idea how to control finances because it isn't their money. It's ours.
The City of Parramatta got a knock down re-build (including demolition of the pool site) for not much above this for a 30 000 seat decent stadium.
Yes, I know that construction costs have increased substantially. I'm in the building game.
But $300 million should be able to get the Panthers (and pretty much no other major tenant at this stage) more than just a reno.
This is just the Labor Party playing political games.
There is absolutely no f**king way a new stadium at the Paceway site was going to cost $900 million. That figure is just fanciful and to justify what they are going to spend now.

Timbo

Staff member
Yeah, because the private sector is much better at managing money and doesn’t funnel it all to their mates.

Jesus f**king Christ a stadium used by ONE NRL club is receiving $300 million in funding in a state where schools and hospitals are being held up by sticky tape and people are complaining that it’s not enough and that we should bail up the Prime Minister.

Also, yes. It is public money being handed out by the state government. And it’s a venue that 98% of the taxpayers in the state will never see a cent of benefit from. I live in Newcastle. I’ll never go to this stadium. I have no problem with the upgrade, but I have a massive issue with overspending and waste when the last time I went to a public hospital I sat in the waiting room for eight hours.

Do not let perfect be the enemy of good. Or you’ll never get anything.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes, it is.
Stadiums can be designed cheaply. Flat pack style. Like the Gold Coast.
It's then not expensive to build a dozen toilet blocks and food outlets beneath them.
The major problem is that this is a govt project. Governments have no idea how to control finances because it isn't their money. It's ours.
The City of Parramatta got a knock down re-build (including demolition of the pool site) for not much above this for a 30 000 seat decent stadium.
Yes, I know that construction costs have increased substantially. I'm in the building game.
But $300 million should be able to get the Panthers (and pretty much no other major tenant at this stage) more than just a reno.
This is just the Labor Party playing political games.
There is absolutely no f**king way a new stadium at the Paceway site was going to cost $900 million. That figure is just fanciful and to justify what they are going to spend now.
Yeh the way they can build stands these days on a skeleton frame with the food and toilets then separate underneath makes it much cheaper option than a commbank style beaut stadium. I can’t believe they can’t build that style 3 stands then a decent corporate stand for $300mill.

1692955545375.jpeg