What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeah, because the private sector is much better at managing money and doesn’t funnel it all to their mates.

Jesus f**king Christ a stadium used by ONE NRL club is receiving $300 million in funding in a state where schools and hospitals are being held up by sticky tape and people are complaining that it’s not enough and that we should bail up the Prime Minister.

Also, yes. It is public money being handed out by the state government. And it’s a venue that 98% of the taxpayers in the state will never see a cent of benefit from. I live in Newcastle. I’ll never go to this stadium. I have no problem with the upgrade, but I have a massive issue with overspending and waste when the last time I went to a public hospital I sat in the waiting room for eight hours.

Do not let perfect be the enemy of good. Or you’ll never get anything.

I really don't disagree with anything you've said. I hear you. Your discussion makes complete sense.

I'm just seriously pissed off with what is again another Labor Govt that wants to cancel everything the previous Govt had in place and funded, moving forward. It's not just stadiums, but rail infrastructure as well.

Marlins

Juniors
Yeah, because the private sector is much better at managing money and doesn’t funnel it all to their mates.

Jesus f**king Christ a stadium used by ONE NRL club is receiving $300 million in funding in a state where schools and hospitals are being held up by sticky tape and people are complaining that it’s not enough and that we should bail up the Prime Minister.

Also, yes. It is public money being handed out by the state government. And it’s a venue that 98% of the taxpayers in the state will never see a cent of benefit from. I live in Newcastle. I’ll never go to this stadium. I have no problem with the upgrade, but I have a massive issue with overspending and waste when the last time I went to a public hospital I sat in the waiting room for eight hours.

Do not let perfect be the enemy of good. Or you’ll never get anything.
We’ll never see any kind of recreational funding again If we’re going to wait for NSW to fix Hospitals and Schools.

NSW budget -

Take a top-level view of the 2022-23 NSW Budget - This Budget includes a record
$112.7 billion spend on infrastructure, as well as a broad spectrum of measures to support families—including $7.2 billion to boost household budgets, $3.8 billion to give children the best start to life, and $3.3 billion to support sustainability and the clean economy.

The Stadium money won’t take anything away from Hospitals/Schools.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeh the way they can build stands these days on a skeleton frame with the food and toilets then separate underneath makes it much cheaper option than a commbank style beaut stadium. I can’t believe they can’t build that style 3 stands then a decent corporate stand for $300mill.

View attachment 78515

Commbank was actually built like this.
Penrith only needs this on the Eastern side and the southern and northern hills with smaller similar versions.
Geez, $300 million is a f**king massive upgrade for that ground.

Pjf04b

Juniors
There is no way that this supposed $309 million upgrade is going to deliver the 30k stadium that Penrith needs. All the government will do is extend the roofs, increase/improve the corporate areas and the toilets, and say look at the great job we’ve done, and PVL will claim a major victory!
And the Penrith area loses out on a new deserved stadium, and misses out on a major infrastructure project once again.

Pjf04b

Juniors
The NSW government ruled out the Paceway site as it would cost ~$500m. How did it go from $500m to $900m in 3 months? The way they are calculating costs it would probably cost $50m to knock down and rebuilt the northern toilet block.
They have abandoned Penrith yet again!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Any dollar spent on BlueBet is a wasted dollar when CommBank is 30mins away.

The rebuild of Penrith Stadium never made any sense and only got as far as it has because of Stuart Ayres' blatant attempts at pork barrelling. A refurb is more realistic, but $309mil is still outrageous.

The government should save the taxpayers dollar and only do the bare necessities, then invite Penrith to play out of CommBank or Accor if they don't like it.

Pjf04b

Juniors
Parts of the Western stand were built in the 1960’s. The toilet blocks are totally inadequate. It is debatable whether it meets all modern safety requirements which is the reason they pulled down a 30 year old 40k seat stadium and replaced it with a $850m over the top stadium to satisfy the SCG Trust.
Then they pulled down another 35k stadium that only needed a refurbishment because it didn’t suit an A-League team.
I don’t recall the same outcry about these waste of money excesses.
Now we have a stadium that has received no Government funding for decades, is more than 50 years old, is totally inadequate and undersized and currently averaging nearly 20k a game which is 90% capacity (better than any stadium in NSW and possibly Australia) and needs to be totally rebuilt, as Well as being in the centre of the greatest RL nursery in the world which supplies more players to the NRL.
Surely the rebuild is more than justified and the reported $900m for a rebuild is totally exaggerated and ludriculous. It is not just a new stadium, it is a major infrastructure investment for an area that is constantly neglected by Governments.
Why should Penrith be forced to share a home ground with an opposition club? No other club is. Playing full time out of Commbank would totally destroy the Penrith club. By your reckoning the other 8 clubs should all play out of either Allianz or Commbank. It just doesn’t work!
Your reasoning would mean there would be no improvements to any stadium inNSW ever again!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Parts of the Western stand were built in the 1960’s. The toilet blocks are totally inadequate. It is debatable whether it meets all modern safety requirements which is the reason they pulled down a 30 year old 40k seat stadium and replaced it with a $850m over the top stadium to satisfy the SCG Trust.
Then they pulled down another 35k stadium that only needed a refurbishment because it didn’t suit an A-League team.
I don’t recall the same outcry about these waste of money excesses.
Now we have a stadium that has received no Government funding for decades, is more than 50 years old, is totally inadequate and undersized and currently averaging nearly 20k a game which is 90% capacity (better than any stadium in NSW and possibly Australia) and needs to be totally rebuilt, as Well as being in the centre of the greatest RL nursery in the world which supplies more players to the NRL.
Surely the rebuild is more than justified and the reported $900m for a rebuild is totally exaggerated and ludriculous. It is not just a new stadium, it is a major infrastructure investment for an area that is constantly neglected by Governments.
Why should Penrith be forced to share a home ground with an opposition club? No other club is. Playing full time out of Commbank would totally destroy the Penrith club. By your reckoning the other 8 clubs should all play out of either Allianz or Commbank. It just doesn’t work!
Your reasoning would mean there would be no improvements to any stadium inNSW ever again!
They don't have to if they don't want to, but that's not the relevant question. The relevant question is why should the taxpayer pay for an expensive superfluous stadium that's destine to be a white elephant?

Everything you want and need already exists, and nothing is stopping the Panthers from taking advantage of it except their own entitlement and sense of self-importance. Building another sub-50k, state of the art, rectangular stadium, when another opened 30mins away only four years ago, makes no sense from either a city planning or commercial perspective, especially not in the current economic or political environment.
From a government perspective stadiums are expensive public assets that exist to fill public needs, and that need is already more than adequately met in Western Sydney. Building another stadium for the benefit of a single tenant that refuses to use the existing infrastructure would be an insane waste of public resources.

It's not unreasonable to expect teams to share facilities, in fact most teams in the league are co-tenants with other professional teams, and the 9 AFL clubs have no trouble sharing their two centralised stadiums. What is totally unreasonable is expecting the taxpayer to underwrite stadiums for every team in the league.

Nothing is stopping the Panthers from continuing to use BluBet if they wish, however not one cent of public money more than it takes to maintain the facilities there should be wasted on BlueBet. If the Panthers want major upgrades to BlueBet, or a even a new stadium in Penrith, then they can take that financial burden on for themselves.

MugaB

Coach
They don't have to if they don't want to, but that's not the relevant question. The relevant question is why should the taxpayer pay for an expensive superfluous stadium that's destine to be a white elephant?

Everything you want and need already exists, and nothing is stopping the Panthers from taking advantage of it except their own entitlement and sense of self-importance. Building another sub-50k, state of the art, rectangular stadium, when another opened 30mins away only four years ago, makes no sense from either a city planning or commercial perspective, especially not in the current economic or political environment.
From a government perspective stadiums are expensive public assets that exist to fill public needs, and that need is already more than adequately met in Western Sydney. Building another stadium for the benefit of a single tenant that refuses to use the existing infrastructure would be an insane waste of public resources.

It's not unreasonable to expect teams to share facilities, in fact most teams in the league are co-tenants with other professional teams, and the 9 AFL clubs have no trouble sharing their two centralised stadiums. What is totally unreasonable is expecting the taxpayer to underwrite stadiums for every team in the league.

Nothing is stopping the Panthers from continuing to use BluBet if they wish, however not one cent of public money more than it takes to maintain the facilities there should be wasted on BlueBet. If the Panthers want major upgrades to BlueBet, or a even a new stadium in Penrith, then they can take that financial burden on for themselves.
They win the next GF and a few more they might do that.. it's not too far out of the realm of possibilities that they were able to build their academy with some of the local ex player connections in the building sector, refurbishing a stadium could be done, but not creating a new stadium from scratch

Wb1234

Referee
We’ll never see any kind of recreational funding again If we’re going to wait for NSW to fix Hospitals and Schools.

NSW budget -

Take a top-level view of the 2022-23 NSW Budget - This Budget includes a record
$112.7 billion spend on infrastructure, as well as a broad spectrum of measures to support families—including $7.2 billion to boost household budgets, $3.8 billion to give children the best start to life, and $3.3 billion to support sustainability and the clean economy.

The Stadium money won’t take anything away from Hospitals/Schools.
Exactly

and governments make money back from their stadia anyway

the return might not be great but they get their money back plus the employment in construction from building it

Pjf04b

Juniors
Why is it going to be a white elephant? If built as a it should be it would be a significant community facility. It is also being utilised by more people than almost any other stadium in NSW. But just fixing the toilets isn't suitable to make it acceptable.

You don't have any idea on Penrith and Western Sydney at all.
Penrith supporters come not just in Penrith, but also from the Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury, Warragamba. The region is one of the fastest growing in Australia.
Saying it is just Penrith is like saying all Canberra supporters come from Bruce.
Penrith deserves to have major infrastructure projects other than hospitals and schools, just as are built in other areas.
I don't expect every club to have government funded stadiums, but to discriminate against the largest rugby league nursery in the world is unjust.
The stadium needs a lot more than a cheap refurbishment. It needs to be knocked down and rebuilt to modern standards.

There is no way that this supposed $309 million upgrade is going to deliver the 30k stadium that Penrith needs. All the government will do is extend the roofs, increase/improve the corporate areas and the toilets, and say look at the great job we’ve done, and PVL will claim a major victory!
And the Penrith area loses out on a new deserved stadium, and misses out on a major infrastructure project once again.
The people of Penrith kicked out the very man that wanted to build it and voted in the party opposed to it. It doesn’t seem to be a priority for the community despite the success of their footy team. Stadium spending doesn’t seem to be a vote winner, in fact it’s poison atm. It’s all politicians give a shit about in the end.

Pjf04b

Juniors
They end a stadium that holds 25-30k. They are at virtual capacity now.
It is not the NRL team that deserves the stadium. It is the region that deserves it after decades of neglect. Parramatta and the Roosters have each had 2 stadiums built whilst Penrith has had one minor upgrade. Really equitable.

Wb1234

Referee
Penrith don’t need a new stadium their leagues club just opened a hotel

they do deserve one though

cowboys won one comp. Jt complained and they got a single tenant stadium