What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
People don't appreciate the size of Sydney.

Like, by way of example, the drive between the Washington Commander's and Baltimore Raven's homegrounds in 52km, 20km less than the 72km between Penrith Park and Brookvale Oval. It's 5km less than the drive between Old Trafford and Elland Road.

Flanders, which is like half of Belgium, is about the size of Sydney.
Penrith to commbank 37km
balmain to allianz 9km
manly to allianz 17km
kogorah to allianz 15km
Belmore to commbank 20km
cronulla to allianz 27km

I’ve got no problem with penrith getting a new stadium, they are a club on the up, the region is growing and the distance to nearest stadium is fair treck, especially for fans west of penrith. The rest, no reason they can’t be using commbank, Accor or allianz.

flippikat

Bench
Penrith to commbank 37km
balmain to allianz 9km
manly to allianz 17km
kogorah to allianz 15km
Belmore to commbank 20km
cronulla to allianz 27km

I’ve got no problem with penrith getting a new stadium, they are a club on the up, the region is growing and the distance to nearest stadium is fair treck, especially for fans west of penrith. The rest, no reason they can’t be using commbank, Accor or allianz.
I think the concern here is usage/utility from the stadium as much as (maybe MORE than) distance.

If distance was the only consideration, sure.. Penrith would be well placed to get a new build - however, in current economic circumstances, it's low-hanging fruit for the Government to go "Nah, let's just refurb what we've got - it's cheaper & will do the job" - especially if the only high-profile tenant is an NRL team that just plays a dozen games a year there - give or take.

Colk

First Grade
Penrith to commbank 37km
balmain to allianz 9km
manly to allianz 17km
kogorah to allianz 15km
Belmore to commbank 20km
cronulla to allianz 27km

Manly and Cronulla are perhaps not great examples.

It is not an easy trek to get from Manly to Allianz/SFS for example. Cronulla is pretty similar. So it is not just a straight forward distance equation.

That’s on the transport system more than anything else.

The rest you can definitely argue to play at either Commbank or Allianz

t-ba

Post Whore
Penrith to commbank 37km
balmain to allianz 9km
manly to allianz 17km
kogorah to allianz 15km
Belmore to commbank 20km
cronulla to allianz 27km

Brookvale Oval is nearly an hour and a half away from Allianz by public transport on the weekend.

Shark Park is over an hour and a half.

This is not practical.

Pneuma

First Grade
Brookvale Oval is nearly an hour and a half away from Allianz by public transport on the weekend.
Bloke in a Perth knows best mate. He knows Sydney better than any body who actually lives there because he just kind of does. No point telling him how difficult it is to get around Sydney. He knows better because that’s the way it is.

t-ba

Post Whore
Bloke in a Perth knows best mate. He knows Sydney better than any body who actually lives there because he just kind of does. No point telling him how difficult it is to get around Sydney. He knows better because that’s the way it is.

I just moved from Crows Nest to Chatswood and driving is now a nightmare because I moved 3k up the road. This city is a kafka novel lol.

Pneuma

First Grade
I just moved from Crows Nest to Chatswood and driving is now a nightmare because I moved 3k up the road. This city is a kafka novel lol.
Travelled from Menai to shark park one evening to watch a game and it took 90 minutes. I’m from Tassie. I could not believe the traffic. The bloke from Perth is deluded.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the concern here is usage/utility from the stadium as much as (maybe MORE than) distance.

If distance was the only consideration, sure.. Penrith would be well placed to get a new build - however, in current economic circumstances, it's low-hanging fruit for the Government to go "Nah, let's just refurb what we've got - it's cheaper & will do the job" - especially if the only high-profile tenant is an NRL team that just plays a dozen games a year there - give or take.
For sure from a public spend point of view it’s a terrible roi. But govt’s pss money away all the time on lessor things. I do think though the reliance on govt to build clubs stadiums is self defeating and clubs/nrl need to start thinking about how they can own and build in years to come.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Manly and Cronulla are perhaps not great examples.

It is not an easy trek to get from Manly to Allianz/SFS for example. Cronulla is pretty similar. So it is not just a straight forward distance equation.

That’s on the transport system more than anything else.

The rest you can definitely argue to play at either Commbank or Allianz
Agree, which is why the money would be better spent on public transport improvements than 6 suburban stadiums. That benefits a heck of a lot more people as well as sports fans.

Colk

First Grade
Agree, which is why the money would be better spent on public transport improvements than 6 suburban stadiums. That benefits a heck of a lot more people as well as sports fans.

To be fair the NSW government is spending a heck of a lot of money on the train network in Sydney. It should be a lot better in say 5 to 10 years.

However, Sydney has problems with the age of the network, the general size of the city and the fact that it is not build on a grid system. It is never likely to be fully covered by trains (at least)

Canard

Immortal
so QCB + Robina is still more than 1 RL stadium in almost 20 years yeah?

*just to add, I'm not sticking up for the QLD gov here either, they didn't fund all of QCB build like they should have.
Next time I'll type 1 stadium in 18 years, to be completely pedantic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is the thing about living in an actual city. Takes a while to get places unlike living in a hopped up country town.
You missed out ‘a backward city with sht infrastructure’ lol.
I’ve lived in London and spent time in many of the worlds major cities and never been anywhere that takes 90min to go 17km lol.

Latest posts