What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Canard

Immortal
driving in London is a nightmare but the underground/overground train system puts any city in Australia to shame
There is no doubt, and living there for years, there was no need to own a car. You get so conditioned to how good the Tube is the waiting 4mins is considered a massive inconvenience. There is also no such thing as a timetable, it's "arrive and go".

But if you don't live in central London or live near a station, you can be up for some pain, and 1hr30mins is not unusual.

Iamback

Coach
You haven’t been to LA or Beijing? There are cities with worst networks than Sydney - although I agree it is pretty bad in Sydney

How many of those cities have a harbour right in the middle? The geography of Sydney doesn't help

Iamback

Coach
Uhh...no?

Plenty of American teams in the same market have been given their own stadiums through public funding. New York City FC is getting one built in Queens, the Suns and Coyotes don't share a ground, the Wild and Timberwolves don't share a ground. The Panthers and Heat don't share a ground. There's quite a few that could conceivably share public facilities built in the last thirty years but don't.

The Wild and Wolves are like 9km apart. Yet no shared ground

siv

First Grade
Penrith to commbank 37km
balmain to allianz 9km
manly to allianz 17km
kogorah to allianz 15km
Belmore to commbank 20km
cronulla to allianz 27km

I’ve got no problem with penrith getting a new stadium, they are a club on the up, the region is growing and the distance to nearest stadium is fair treck, especially for fans west of penrith. The rest, no reason they can’t be using commbank, Accor or allianz.
Quoting km only works outside of a city

And with petrol and tolls going through the roof

Eg for me it cost $30 in petrol and $50 in tolls just to get to the SFS

Better to quote time by public transport travel time home at 10pm, when all trains revert to all stations

And dont forget the 30 wait to get on a tram

Iamback

Coach
Quoting km only works outside of a city

And with petrol and tolls going through the roof

Eg for me it cost $30 in petrol and $50 in tolls just to get to the SFS

Better to quote time by public transport travel time home at 10pm, when all trains revert to all stations

And dont forget the 30 wait to get on a tram

Correct. This what out of towners don't understand

Jamberoo

Juniors
In 2006 or 2007, then Victorian Premier Steve Bracks announced a $190 million, 20,000 seater stadium. However, at the time Victory were getting crowds in excess of 30,000 at Docklands.

So eventually Victory agreed to go to new rectangular ground with the capacity increase of 30,000, at a cost of $268 million, and it has the foundations in place to expand to 50,000.

But thanks to the bio frame roof, expanding the stadium is expensive. The thing is AAMI Park was supposed to be that 50k stadium in the future. Meanwhile the Storm is averaging over 18k. Just as well AAMI wasn't built at 20,000 initially, otherwise Storm's growth as a club would be fairly limited right now.

But what happens if down the track, the Storm's averaging close to 30k?
Storm’s average has gone up around 45% in 25 seasons. Even if it goes up another 45% (to 26k), AAMI won’t be too small, it will be perfect. But that is a fair way down the track. What happens then? You could build a new stadium next to AAMI. That will be cheaper long term than taking the roof off and expanding.

Jamberoo

Juniors
And in comes the bloke who always runs the game down and argues for smaller stadiums in Melbourne for non afl codes. And what’s his rationale?. They can rent Marvel, an unsuitable ground owned by the afl. He’s a broken record of nrl negativity and afl fanboydom. Gee I wonder why? I wonder what his agenda is? It’s a conundrum!
Now you are just making things up. I am not arguing for any new stadiums at all. Melbourne’s set up of three city stadiums of 30k, 55k and 100k is close to perfect. Sydneysiders are just jealous as we don’t have to travel all around and across the city to see games. Imagine a Parra, SFS and ACCOR all walking distance from the CBD, every train line and literally hundreds of places to eat and drink.

Now you are just making things up. I am not arguing for any new stadiums at all. Melbourne’s set up of three city stadiums of 30k, 55k and 100k is close to perfect. Sydneysiders are just jealous as we don’t have to travel all around and across the city to see games. Imagine a Parra, SFS and ACCOR all walking distance from the CBD, every train line and literally hundreds of places to eat and drink.
That in a nutshell, is what we’ve trying to say all along about what our reality is even though some posters not living here, don’t seem to accept that reality. Yeh, kinda jealous.

jim_57

Staff member
Storm’s average has gone up around 45% in 25 seasons. Even if it goes up another 45% (to 26k), AAMI won’t be too small, it will be perfect. But that is a fair way down the track. What happens then? You could build a new stadium next to AAMI. That will be cheaper long term than taking the roof off and expanding.

If Storm got to the point of averaging 26k at AAMI park alone once you account for no-shows and the slightly reduced capacity then they would have to be selling out most games each year, locking out potentially tens of thousands. Like we’ve seen with the Warriors this year at Mt Smart selling out about half their games there.

At that stage a 45-55k stadium built with a club mode would be ideal scenario.

t-ba

Post Whore
I like Melbourne.

It's good to have different cities in your country.

But ooh boy my experience as an expat is that Melbournians steadily go deranged living abroad because nobody gives a f**k about it and all anyone is interested in is the Opera House and Koalas.

bazza

Immortal

ballymore
Kayo park
Gold coast
Townsville
I think Brisbane could do with a 20 - 30k modern rectangular stadium for A-league and union. Could also get some use with another NRL team
Currently they have Ballymore and Perry Park
Seems Perry Park has a better location near a railway line

Would the Dolphins play some home games there - or should the Queensland government put the money into making Kayo a 25k modern facility for the Dolphins, Reds and Roar?

mongoose

Coach
I like Melbourne.

It's good to have different cities in your country.

But ooh boy my experience as an expat is that Melbournians steadily go deranged living abroad because nobody gives a f**k about it and all anyone is interested in is the Opera House and Koalas.
isn't Melbourne the Opera House and Koala capital of the world?

Wb1234

Referee
If it wasn’t for the harbour, bridge opera house and Gold Coast no one would spend 20 hours on a plane to come see Australia as a tourist

even if the coffee is good, the coffee in Europe is better

Canard

Immortal
steadily go deranged living abroad because nobody gives a f**k about it and all anyone is interested in is the Opera House and Koalas.
I can tell you that's the experience for all Aussies who are not native to Sydney (and not just Melbournians)

And to be honest, once you live overseas, you quickly realise how little people give a shit or even know about Australia in general.

Last edited:

Latest posts